Twenty Strange-But-True Facts???

Started by Warph, January 09, 2012, 06:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

1. To human taste buds, Zima is virtually indistinguishable from zebra urine.

2. SCUBA divers cannot pass gas at depths of 33 feet or below.

3. The Boeing 747 is capable of flying upside-down if it weren't for the fact that the wings would shear off when trying to roll it over.

4. Male rhesus monkeys often hang from tree branches by their amazing prehensile penises.

5. The increased electricity used by modern appliances is causing a shift in the Earth's magnetic field. By the year 2327, the North Pole will be located in mid-Kansas, while the South Pole will be just off the coast of East Africa.

6. In the weightlessness of space a frozen pea will explode if it comes in contact with Pepsi.

7. The Venezuelan brown bat can detect and dodge individual raindrops in mid-flight, arriving safely back at his cave completely dry.

8. Due to the natural "momentum" of the ocean, saltwater fish cannot swim backwards.

9. Although difficult, it's possible to start a fire by rapidly rubbing together two Cool Ranch Doritos.

10. In WWII the US military planned to airdrop over France propaganda in the form of Playboy magazine, with coded messages hidden in the models' turn-ons and turn-offs. The plan was scrapped because of a staple shortage due to rationing of metal.

11. Due to the angle at which the optic nerve enters the brain, staring at a blue surface during sex greatly increases the intensity of orgasms.

12. Urine from male cape water buffaloes is so flammable that some tribes use it for lantern fuel.

13. Approximately one-sixth of your life is spent on Wednesdays.

14. Until 1978, Camel cigarettes contained minute particles of real camels.

15. Human saliva has a boiling point three times that of regular water.

16. In 1843, a Parisian street mime got stuck in his imaginary box and consequently died of starvation.

17. The volume of water that the Giant Sequoia tree consumes in a 24-hour period contains enough suspended minerals to pave 17.3 feet of a 4-lane concrete freeway.

18. The skin needed for elbow transplants must be taken from the scrotum of a cadaver.

19. Silly Putty was "discovered" as the residue left behind after the first latex condoms were produced. It's not widely publicized for obvious reasons.

20. Polar bears can eat as many as 86 penguins in a single sitting.

Bonus Fact:  When I eat 3 watermelons at one sitting, I gotta pee real bad!

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) :P
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

Now about those polar bears...ya wanna think about that a bit? ;D ;D ;D Strange, but very unlikely to be true!

jarhead

I would question about 99 % of these. For starters Playboy mag didn't come out until several years after WW-II

larryJ

I think the phrase I am looking for here is...............tongue in cheek.  Maybe.  Or, grain of salt.......

Jarhead, I believe the phrase was "Propaganda in the form of Playboy magazine", meaning something like Playboy magazine, but not actual Playboy magazines.  Guess it depends on how it is worded.  Maybe we should ask ole Warph for the source! 

Now, I know for sure that it is impossible to rub two Doritos Cool Ranch chips to make a fire.  I know because I tried.  I got hungry while rubbing them and ate them.  Subsequent attempts also failed for the same reason.  Combining that action while downing gin and tonics resulting in all the chips being eaten before I could start a fire, but by then I was all warm inside and really didn't care about starting a fire.  And then, after eating all the chips dipped in bean dip, and being inebriated, I couldn't really tell if I was passing gas when I went diving.  Nor could I tell if the saltwater fish were swimming backward or if I was just going by them too fast.

I could go on, but it's nap time.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

larryJ

Never mind, Warph, I found it.

Larryj

W. Gray

When I moved to Colorado over thirty years ago, everyone was in a camping craze.

I was amazed that one could start a fire using steel wool.

I was even more amazed that one could start a fire using water.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

larryJ

When I was a teen living in the mountains of Wyoming, the guys and I would sometimes catch a trout and built a fire and cook it right there on the spot.  We always carried a potato or two and some foil and would bury the potato in the embers.  Quite a feast for handsome young rugged outdoorsmen!  --------------------------building a fire?  We always carried stick matches in a waterproof container in our pockets.   ;D

Larryj

jarhead

All I know Larry is do not rub two Doritos together if you are near where a bull water buff took a whiz !!!
Speaking of matches---where does one buy "strike anywhere matches" ?
When did they disappear off the store shelves ?

Diane Amberg

Some hardware stores and camping supply places still have the big boxes of wooden strike anywhere matches but they came off the general shelves some years ago .fire hazard.

Diane Amberg

I don't think any of those "facts"are true.Pretty funny though.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk