Raised Veggie Beds

Started by farmgal67357, January 07, 2012, 03:03:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmgal67357

Anyone got any ideas on making some cheaply? Thanks!
Lisa
Lisa

Catwoman

Recycled railroad ties...stack three deep, use braces to hold them in place, fill with dirt mixed with Miracle Grow.  Have at it!! :-)

flintauqua

And to allay any fears of contamination from creosote, please read the following excerpt from University of Missouri Extension:

"Certain national gardening publications have raised concerns about the safety of using treated lumber in food gardens. Pressure-treated lumber uses CCA (chromated copper arsenate) or ACA (ammoniacal copper arsenate) as a preservative. However, studies done by Texas A&M Agricultural Extension Service showed insignificant movement of these compounds into surrounding soil. Pressure-treated lumber has no proven effect on plant growth or food safety. However, on Feb.12, 2002, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) announced a voluntary decision by the lumber industry to move consumer use of treated lumber products away from a variety of pressure-treated wood that contains arsenic by Dec. 31, 2003, in favor of new, alternative wood preservatives. Alkaline cooper quaternary (ACQ) is a relatively new wood treatment that is available in some areas of the country. This product is higher in copper than CCA but is free of arsenic.

Creosote, which is used to treat railroad ties, may cause injury or death to plants that come into direct contact with it. After a few years the effect diminishes. Old, discarded ties do not injure plants (Figure 3). However, injury may occur if ties are still oozing black, sticky creosote or smell intensely. If you are uncertain about the safety of treated lumber, place a heavy plastic liner between the treated lumber and soil used for growing plants to prevent direct contact of plant roots with the treated lumber. Be careful not to tear the plastic when tilling the bed."

The entire article on raised bed gardening is available here:

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/G6985

Texas A & M Extension basically says the same thing, in an eleven page publication on raised beds:

"Ties and timbers can be laid singly or in layers and have a rustic appearance. Railroad ties treated with creosote do not appear to pose any health problems because most of the creosote has leached away. There is some controversy about using treated landscape timbers, but studies have shown that any compounds that leach out are well within safe levels established by the
EPA, both in growing media and in harvested produce. If you are concerned about using treated timbers, line the inside of the bed walls with polyethylene, roofing felt or similar materials to form a protective barrier."

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/publications/guides/E-560_raised_bed_garden.pdf
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

srkruzich

Quote from: farmgal67357 on January 07, 2012, 03:03:07 AM
Anyone got any ideas on making some cheaply? Thanks!
Lisa
i am working on  some.  I am salvaging cinder blocks right  now. You can also make them out of hedge.  Just cut 2' long hedge and stand them on end.  bury 6" or so in the ground or mound up dirt against the outside a bit.  Fill the bottom with wood chips about 6" or so, and the rest manure.  By spring it should be composted.   THen plant.  :) I am also desiging a drip watering system and a misting system by using pvc, and misters and tubes.  THis last drought is the last one that will kill my garden. I am tired of not getting any produce for my work.

I am also looking for those 25 gallon metal barrels like automotive shops get their parts washer fluid in. And old ductwork in central heating and air. I plan on making a heater for my greenhouse and using a central bed as a thermal mass for the heater.  The heater gets up to 500 deg in the burn chamber and all that heat goes through the ductwork in the bed to warm the soil and greenhouse. ITs output is water and co2 both of which feeds the plants.

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: Catwoman on January 07, 2012, 09:50:52 AM
Recycled railroad ties...stack three deep, use braces to hold them in place, fill with dirt mixed with Miracle Grow.  Have at it!! :-)

Not me!  that creosote is nasty stuff! 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk