PETERSEN, John F. - b. November 29, 1936 - d. November 26, 2011

Started by Janet Harrington, November 30, 2011, 04:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

John F. Petersen, 74, of Emporia, Kansas, died on November 26, 2011 at his home in Emporia.

John was born on November 29, 1936 in Emporia, the son of Earl H. and Virginia F. Kyle Petersen. He married Roberta A. Roberts on August 21, 1955 in Emporia. She died on November 6, 2006 in Emporia.

Surviving family members include: son, Steven J. Petersen of Dothan, Alabama; Daughters, Danita Rees, Sheryl Swift, and Brenda Stock of Emporia; and Laurie Ryan of Eureka, Kansas; grandchildren, Stephanie Thomas of Topeka, Kansas, Joshua Rees of Emporia, Nicki Moree of Emporia, Christopher Swift of Emporia, Dustin Ryan of Iola, Kansas, Emilie Ryan of Eureka, Ginny Samples of Emporia, Nevik Stock of Emporia, and Brice Stock of Emporia; great-grandchildren, Logan Thomas, Katelynn Thomas, Cade Thomas, Landon Moree, and Isabella Samples.

He is preceded in death by his parents; wife; sisters, Gayla M. Dieker, Faye E. Litke; and brothers, Lynn D. Petersen and Howard K. Petersen.

John was a banker for many years, and during those years he worked for Citizens National Bank, Emporia; West America Securities, Emporia; Lyon County State Bank, Emporia; First National Bank in Clinton, Arkansas; Emprise Bank, Eureka; R.T.C. in Kansas City, Kansas; Piqua State Bank, Piqua, Kansas; Admire Bank, Emporia; Howard State Band, Howard; Burden State Bank, Burden; Quad County State Bank, Viburnum, Missouri; Farmers State Bank, Oakley, Kansas; First State Bank of Sharon, Aneta, North Dakota; Douglas National Bank, Kansas City, Missouri; Alva State Bank and Trust, Alva, Oklahoma; and Stone County National Bank, Crane, Missouri.

He served in the United States Army in Kitzingen, Germany. He was a member of the Emporia Masonic Lodge #12 A.F. & A.M., Scottish Rite, and the Arab Temple. John was active in the United Way, Kiwanis, and the Chamber of Commerce in Emporia and Howard. He served on the Emporia Board of Education from 1981 to 1984.

Funeral services will be held at 2:00 P.M., Thursday, December 1, 2011 at Roberts-Blue-Barnett Funeral Home, Emporia. The service will be conducted by Pastor Lee Hoskins of Emporia. Burial will follow in Evergreen Cemetery, Emporia. The visitation will be held from 6:30 to 7:30, Wednesday evening, November 30, 2011 at the funeral home.

Memorial contributions to Hand in Hand Hospice or Shriners Hospitals for Children Travel Fund may be sent in care of the funeral home.

(taken from the Roberts-Blue-Barnett  Funeral Home web site)

Janet Harrington

John and his wife, Bert, were very good to me. I used to coffee with Bert when they lived in Howard. After John and Bert moved back to Emporia, I would stay with them two weekends out of a college semester while I sought my Master's Degree at Washburn University.

Some people thought that John was a grumpy man, but he really wasn't. He knew his business. He had a dry sense of humor and I so enjoyed having these two people in my life.

Ole Granny

Sorry to hear of John's passing.  I would never of thought anyone would think John was grumpy.   Of course, I knew John though my husband who went to school with John and Bert.  Bert's best friend, Carolyn, was married to my husbands nephew. John, Bert and Carolyn were all classmates of my husband. Emporia Reunion time was always fun-Class of 54! 

Thoughts and prayers to family and friends.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Ole Granny

Thanks for posting this Janet.  We had not heard about John.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk