My Experience at the West Elk USD#282 Special School Board Meeting

Started by Ross, November 30, 2011, 11:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross

Quote from: Wilma on December 22, 2011, 04:47:37 PM
So?

So there is a real goal for the school board president to strive for, for notoriety.
So, don't you appreciate the efforts that went into reaching being nominated as a BLUE RIBBON school?

No big deal to educate versus football, huh?

Diane Amberg

Ross, are you being serious or sarcastic? I can't quite read you.
Newark Charter is a Blue Ribbon School too and I know how hard those kids work and how dedicated the teachers are to those kids. It's nice to be acknowledged! A nomination is a good thing.
They don't now and won't play foot ball at the soon to be built high school either. Too expensive and not a big interest by the parents. Do you support your local schools or not?

greatguns

Fact is Piedmont is in Eureka School District.  West Elk has run a school bus to Piedmont for the last three or four years.  Before that the kids drove to Howard or their parents hauled them to Howard and Severy.  Eureka also runs a bus to Piedmont, or at least they had one child going to Eureka last year.  One student in Piedmont goes to Flinthills,  My tax dollars go to the Eureka school district.  OF COURSE THAT IS WITHOUT LOOKING AT ANY PICTURES!

Ross

Quote from: Diane Amberg on December 22, 2011, 06:36:37 PM
Ross, are you being serious or sarcastic? I can't quite read you.
Newark Charter is a Blue Ribbon School too and I know how hard those kids work and how dedicated the teachers are to those kids. It's nice to be acknowledged! A nomination is a good thing.
They don't now and won't play football at the soon to be built high school either. Too expensive and not a big interest by the parents. Do you support your local schools or not?

Sure I support my school district, I pay my taxes. I don't happen to think they are doing a good enough job. The school board president in my opinion has more interest in sports then education. As mentioned in earlier posts, he thinks sports are importatnt for noteriety. That would only be on a local level and maybe put a feather in the city of Howards cap. But what about a real accomplishment like a blue ribbon school. That would take some real work, right?

I was being a bot of both serious and sarcastic? But seriously is spending more tax dollars for sports the best thing for the children or is it thhe best thing for the parents and the City of Howard. What is the real goal of schooling? Is it really to make headlines on the sports page of the local newspaper?

One of the board members also stated we need a new school superintendent that will do the job right.
I happened to have thought that was a very good point. At schoolboard meetings in the past it was more like the superintendent was in charge at the meetings. It was as though the board and the superintendent both forgot who was the employer and who was the employee. In other words who the boss was, and who was paid to do a job, who workde for who.

I could go on and on but that's enough for now.

I hope you have a great Christmas Diane. I thought we might have a white Christmas because we got a dusting of snow. But the weatherman is predicting 40's today and tomorrow and 50 for Christmas day. So it should be a beautiful day minus the snow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk