My Experience at the West Elk USD#282 Special School Board Meeting

Started by Ross, November 30, 2011, 11:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintauqua

There may be Piedmont kids going to West Elk, however they would be going 'out of district' as the Eureka School District clearly includes Piedmont and a small part of Elk County south and west of the town.  You can ask the Eureka or West Elk district offices, or either of the Elk or Greenwood Treasurers offices if you do not believe me.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Ross

Janet Harrington

Quote from: srkruzich on December 03, 2011, 06:04:32 PM
Nope West elk picks up the piedmont kids.

Piedmont kids should go to Eureka, but it is like any school, you can get permission from the schoolboard to go to a different district if that district will accept you. There are quite a few West Elk district kids that go to Elk Valley to school and there are some Central of Burden district kids from Grenola that attend West Elk.

frawin

Eureka does pickup some kids South of Piedmont, in fact they pick up one on Turkey Road.

Wilma

I don't know where the Eureka school district boundary is, but I do know that when Piedmont had to unify with another district, they chose Eureka.  At that time, some of Piedmont's students chose to come to Severy instead of going to Eureka.  And it wasn't because they lived closer to Severy.  They lived just north of Piedmont.  This cross district thing is nothing new.  IMHO the student should be in the district closest to his home, be it in one county or another.  Whether or not he actually attends the school in the district in which he resides is between him, his parents and the school districts.

My parents moved to Elk County in 1947.  I was a senior and my brother was a sophomore.  We decided we wanted to go to Piedmont instead of the district we lived in.  Most of the neighbors out in Union Center were attending Piedmont.  At that time there were 14 students from that area attending Piedmont High School.  None of them lived closer to Piedmont than four miles.  Three of them lived closer to Howard than Piedmont.  The principal made arrangements with the Howard district for us to attend Piedmont.  This cross district thing is nothing new.

srkruzich

Quote from: flintauqua on December 03, 2011, 07:05:47 PM
There may be Piedmont kids going to West Elk, however they would be going 'out of district' as the Eureka School District clearly includes Piedmont and a small part of Elk County south and west of the town.  You can ask the Eureka or West Elk district offices, or either of the Elk or Greenwood Treasurers offices if you do not believe me.

i can tell you that the west elk bus runs right into piedmont picks up and drops off kids. SO that means that piedmont kids go to west elk.  Doesn't matter if the picture your looking at says otherwise. 

I myself quit looking at pictures 43 years ago and actually started reading and observing.  Today i don't even bother with pictures. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Wilma

The fact remains that Piedmont is in the Eureka school district.  A West Elk bus picking up kids in Piedmont means that they have permission from the Eureka district to attend West Elk.  The bus doesn't stop at the district line.  It picks up it's district's students no matter where they live.  The map says that Piedmont is in the Eureka school district.  A West Elk bus picking up kids in Piedmont does not change the district that Piedmont is in.  Now, is that clear enough.

flintauqua

Quote from: srkruzich on December 04, 2011, 10:36:18 AM
I myself quit looking at pictures 43 years ago and actually started reading and observing.  Today i don't even bother with pictures.  

Steve, I do believe looking at boundaries drawn on a map by an unit of government is a bit different than "looking at pictures."

An online representation of a map on a state department website is still a map, not simply a picture.

Perhaps you could walk into the Elk County Treasurer's Office and look at the map hanging on her wall if it would mean more to you.

And I never said there weren't Piedmont students attending West Elk.  I said if they were then they are considered "out of district", just as there are West Elk students attending "out of district" at some or all of the following:  Elk Valley, Eureka, Chautauqua County Community, Central, Fredonia.
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Ross

There's notoriety, for teaching. Bravo!
At least they got nominated.

5 KS Schools to Compete for Blue Ribbon Honors    

Date: December 22, 2011

State Education Commissioner Diane DeBacker has announced the five Kansas schools she will nominate for the 2012 National Blue Ribbon Schools Award Program. The U-S Department of Education program honors schools for closing achievement gaps among student populations and achieving certain academic goals. DeBacker said yesterday (WED) that Garden City High School and Marshall Elementary School in Eureka are being nominated as schools with enrollment of at least 40 percent disadvantaged students. Basehor Linwood High School, Blue Valley High School in Stilwell and Goddard High School were selected as nominees for being in the top 15 percent in reading and math on statewide assessments. National winners will be announced in September 2012.

http://www.kansaspublicradio.org/newsstory.php?itemID=33193

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk