My Experience at the West Elk USD#282 Special School Board Meeting

Started by Ross, November 30, 2011, 11:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

QuoteI wonder what could be so urgent that this evaluation can't wait for the next regularly scheduled School Board Meeting?

I expect it would be a special meeting to discuss the evaluation, then present the findings at the regular board meeting. 
In other words, get the good and perhaps not so good findings of performance out of the public agenda and the necessary facts discussed, before  taking up the publics' time.
nothing to see here...move along.

I would be more concerned if the board were to cut the teachers for other reasons other than  subpar performance.  Not concerned about how many 'secret' meetings that are held.
I would be concerned 1st about education before athletics, and yet somehow the monies that are revenued from sports is what keeps the budget afloat. 
  To me, it is backwards. 
ready

farmgal67357

Hubby is Highly Qualified. It's on his teaching certificate.
Lisa
Lisa

readyaimduck

farm:  I am not questioning that.  My certificates say that also.
Today, I believe I am not so.   and there in lies the difference. 

and what does your hubby have to do with this, may I ask?
ready

readyaimduck

Let me rephrase my thoughts:
A certificate may back the person, yet the person may not always back up the certificate.

ready

Ross

Quote from: Lookatmeknow!! on December 01, 2011, 06:11:33 PM
Ross, I am pretty sure that all of the teachers at West Elk are highly Qualified. I am highly qualified based on my teaching certificate, also. What he should have said was that to find a french teacher highly qualified is really hard, I am guessing. I don't think there is anything wrong with West Elk Teachers. Ross, just wondering, do you have something against West Elk? I mean, I have been subbing in different districts around the surrounding counties. All small schools are suffering with budget cost. I know it is very tough times for everyone!

I was simply letting people know what took place and what their elected officials had to say and they can decide for themselves. Oh, yes because it was said at an official board meeting I included what the superintendent said.

As far as highly a highly qualified teacher, since you asked I looked it up and here is what I found.

What does "Highly Qualified" mean?

The federal definition of a "Highly Qualified" teacher is one who is: fully certified and/or licensed by the state; holds at least a bachelor's degree from a four-year institution; and demonstrates competence in each core academic subject area in which the teacher teaches.

Does the "Highly Qualified" criteria apply to all teachers?

No. The "Highly Qualified" criteria applies to all teachers - in Title I and non-Title I public schools - who teach in core academic subject areas. The federal regulations do not apply to non-core academic subject area teachers such as those in most vocational (workforce development/career-technical education) programs or physical education.

So perhaps you can tell me what the superintendent was talking about?

And they spoke of core subjects, here they are.

What are the core academic subject areas?

Those areas include: English, reading, language arts, mathematics, science, foreign languages, civics and government, social studies, economics, arts, history, geography, and kindergarten through Grade 6 (K-6).

But in response to your question:

Quote from: Lookatmeknow!! on December 01, 2011, 06:11:33 PM
Ross, just wondering, do you have something against West Elk?

I am a taxpayer paying my share for the operation of a school who purpose is to educate children. I don't believe it is our administrations or elected officials officials jobs to be more concerned about making a name for themselves with sports of to be looking for Notoriety as suggested by the president of the School Board. I do agree with the board members who want less focus on athletics. And I believe that will happen whether the want it or now due to the up coming major budget cuts. And as at least one board member suggested is to spend taxpaysers dollars with more wisdom.

And wouldn't you think if they improved the education at West Elk for all students sufficiently to become a blue ribbon school they would come by their Notoriety in the best of fashion.

Oh, there is one problem I have and that is the use of the school on a political level? You will probably ask, so here is what I mean.
It is a county school on county property but is often refered to Howard West Elk when in fact it should be refered to as Elk County West Elk to be politically correct. How ever it has been expressed to me that Howard might grow in population if they had a school. Hnd asked to extend their city limits to encompass the school. Just think who voted for and who voted against the expansion of the campus for a $5.5 million grade school that would house maybe 100 children.

Oh, for the suggestion about big school curriculum the superintendent used French only as an example. The suggestions were coming from the school board. I'm sorry if I didn't make the clear.

Just something to think about.

sixdogsmom

Good post Ross. Thanks for keeping us up to speed with the meetings and such. I do appreciate it.  ;)
Edie

Ross

Quote from: readyaimduck on December 01, 2011, 07:24:59 PM
I expect it would be a special meeting to discuss the evaluation, then present the findings at the regular board meeting. 
In other words, get the good and perhaps not so good findings of performance out of the public agenda and the necessary facts discussed, before  taking up the publics' time.
nothing to see here...move along.

I would be more concerned if the board were to cut the teachers for other reasons other than  subpar performance.  Not concerned about how many 'secret' meetings that are held.
I would be concerned 1st about education before athletics, and yet somehow the monies that are revenued from sports is what keeps the budget afloat. 
  To me, it is backwards. 
ready

Howdy Ready,

The meetings aren't secret and I believe secret meetings would be unlawful.

I was just wondering why have so many special board meetings. And this one appears to be because at the last special board meeting it was suggested that the school needs a new school superintendent, but I don't know, I was just wondering. And nothing was said about going into executive session in the agenda, but I expect they will.

If I can I will be attending the meeting as a concerned tax paying citizen.

Mom70x7

Quote from: Ross on December 01, 2011, 08:54:23 PM
It is a county school on county property but is often refered to Howard West Elk when in fact it should be refered to as Elk County West Elk to be politically correct.

It is not a county school on county property. It is a District School located on property in the county. Semantics, maybe. We have three schools (possibly 4) operating in Elk County: Elk Valley, Central and West Elk. (Don't know if Sedan/Chautauqua County comes into Elk County.)

Elk County does not run nor administer the school. The U.S.D. 282 District does. The school is located on property in Elk County, not property in one of the towns in Elk County.

It has been referred to as Howard West Elk, to show the town West Elk uses as a mailing address - similar to Central at Burden and Flinthills at Rosalia and Bluestem at Leon.

Ross

Quote from: sixdogsmom on December 01, 2011, 09:03:07 PM
Good post Ross. Thanks for keeping us up to speed with the meetings and such. I do appreciate it.  ;)

Well thank you.

I figured I would get lambasted.

I'm very pleased you appreciate the post.

Ross

Quote from: Mom70x7 on December 01, 2011, 09:08:30 PM
It is not a county school on county property. It is a District School located on property in the county. Semantics, maybe. We have three schools (possibly 4) operating in Elk County: Elk Valley, Central and West Elk. (Don't know if Sedan/Chautauqua County comes into Elk County.)

Elk County does not run nor administer the school. The U.S.D. 282 District does. The school is located on property in Elk County, not property in one of the towns in Elk County.

It has been referred to as Howard West Elk, to show the town West Elk uses as a mailing address - similar to Central at Burden and Flinthills at Rosalia and Bluestem at Leon.

You are quite right. I get an "F" on that one.
But you support my thought that it is not Howard West Elk.
Thanks again.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk