Kansas Open Meetings Act

Started by Patriot, November 08, 2011, 06:27:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patriot

Intemperate questions.....

Do our elected officials know that ignorance of the law is not a defense in court?

Do they care?

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Anmar

Listen, there's a real lack of logic here.  Aren't you against government regulation?  You keep spamming this forum with complaints that Elk Konnected isn't following government regulations, yet you're against regulations on corporations.  Do you see the problem here?
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Patriot

I see no problem with laws that limit the powers of government to act in its' own interests to the exclusion of citizens... do you?  Nor do I see any problem with laws that limit the ability of select private bodies corporate to exercise undue influence on government to advance their private agendas (especially from within government) ... do you?

Diane Amberg

Patriot

Fine example of how the rule of law has given way to emotional pleas for social justice by those too lazy or liberally indoctrinated to 'get it'.  This thread was nothing but a source of factual information and a question or two that could only be addressed by people close enough to observe local events & relate to them.  Wow. 

Anmar

Quote from: Patriot on November 10, 2011, 06:44:48 PM

I see no problem with laws that limit the powers of government to act in its' own interests to the exclusion of citizens... do you?  Nor do I see any problem with laws that limit the ability of select private bodies corporate to exercise undue influence on government to advance their private agendas (especially from within government) ... do you?

So describe undue influence,  are you against lobbying and political campaign contributions?  Because according to conservatives, corporations are people and money is speech.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Janet Harrington

Ok. I did read the open meeting laws and Patriot is correct on how executive sessions, etc., are conducted. I just don't agree with talking about the EMS director in open session even though they did not use his name.

Patriot

Quote from: Janet Harrington on November 12, 2011, 02:12:15 PM
Ok. I did read the open meeting laws and Patriot is correct on how executive sessions, etc., are conducted.

Thank you.

Quote from: Janet Harrington on November 12, 2011, 02:12:15 PM
I just don't agree with talking about the EMS director in open session even though they did not use his name.

I'm afraid you might be missing some facts.  The discussion to which you refer was initiated as a discussion about departmental wages and overtime practices.  The EMS Director spoke up and increasingly led the discussion away from overtime policy and toward himself in particular.  Further, let's remember that matters of wages and overtime policy are matters of public interest. 

My impression is that, for too long, some county employees/officials have relied on the false sense protection or secrecy that executive sessions appear to provide.  In fact many matters are better served by public airing... especially when no valid personal privacy issues are not involved.  And wages ain't no secret according to the law.

If you want to message me, I'll gladly provide more information.

Janet Harrington

Patriot, Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't read the information correctly. I just find it so odd that people are getting paid so much to work in Elk County now. I just can't comprehend it. Oh, well. I guess since I don't work there anymore, I want to say it's not my concern, but that's not true either. It is my concern. But when I think about how much they, The EMS Director and The Sheriff, are getting paid, I just get sick to my stomach and get so angry about it. I need to step back now and let you all that have not held those positions handle the commissioners.

Patriot

Quote from: Janet Harrington on November 12, 2011, 09:30:39 PM
But when I think about how much they, The EMS Director and The Sheriff, are getting paid, I just get sick to my stomach and get so angry about it.

I honestly can't tell if that was sarcasm or seriousness.   ???

But on the chance you were serious, then the disparity between those salaries and average pay for all the other county employees would probably only add fuel to the fires of injustice.  As would the fact most others haven't seen any increase in some 5 years.... and now are seeking only a buck an hour (salaried and hourly alike).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk