LONGFELLOW, Charles Nathan "Buck" - b. Feb. 18, 1913 - d. Nov. 5, 2011

Started by Marcia Moore, November 06, 2011, 10:03:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marcia Moore

I just found out this morning that Buck Longfellow passed away.  He was a very well known man in the area who everyone liked.  Though I do not have an obituary for him, I know the following about him:
    Charles Nathan "Buck" Longfellow was born on Feb. 18, 1913 at Howard, KS, the son of Charles Nathan and Emma Leota (Nitsche) Longfellow.  He attended school at Climax and graduated from Climax High School with the Class of 1932.  On July 3, 1937, he married Ardeth Mae Kessinger, who was born Aug. 8, 1915 and was a 1933 graduate of Climax High School.  The couple were the parents of one daughter, Luanna, who married Larry Pinkston.  Buck and Ardeth were married 74+ years.  He has been a resident of Eureka Nursing Center for the past few years.    
    Funeral services for Charles N. "Buck" Longfellow will be held at 2:00 P.M., Tuesday, November 8, 2011 at Koup Family Funeral Home. Visitation will be from 5-7 P.M., Monday. Interment will follow at Greenwood Cemetery. In lieu of flowers a memorial has been established in his name to the Climax United Methodist Church.
    As soon as I get an obituary, I will post it.

Lookatmeknow!!

Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Marcia Moore

Here is the obituary from the Nov. 9, 2011 edition of the Eureka Herald:
     Charles Nathan "Buck" Longfellow of Eureka died on Nov. 5, 2011 at the Eureka Nursing Center at the age of 98.  Buck was born Feb. 18, 1913 near Howard, KS, the son of Charles Nathan and Emma (Nitsche) Longfellow.  He was raised in the Climax area, attending local schools and graduating in 1932.  After his schooling, Buck worked in Tulsa as a truck driver for Santa Fe and Oklahoma Tire and Supply.  He then joined the Navy during WWII, serving his country with honor and dignity.  Buck then returned to Climax where he ranched, drove a school bus and worked as a roofer in the Climax area.  He loved fishing every day that he could before going into the nursing home in 2009.
     On July 3, 1937 he was united in marriage to Ardeth Kessinger in Wichita.  After Buck returned from the service, they made their home in Climax.  Buck and Ardeth were married 74 years.
     Buck was a member of the Climax United Methodist Church and the VFW in Howard, KS. 
     He is survived by his wife, Ardeth, of Eureka and his daughter, Luanna Pinkston of Clearwater, KS.  He was preceded in death by his parents; two brothers, Hubert and Delbert; and a sister, Aletha Walls.
     Funeral services were held at 2:00 p.m. on Tuesday, Nov. 8, 2011 at Koup Family Funeral Home with Pastor Kevin Lawrence officiating.  Interment followed at Greenwood Cemetery.
     In lieu of flowers, a memorial has been established in his name to the Climax United Methodist Church and may be left in care of the funeral home at P.O. Box 595, Eureka, KS 67045.   

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk