Colorado Snow

Started by W. Gray, October 26, 2011, 02:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

There are currently one hundred thousand people in the Denver area without power. We still have power, but my favorite talk radio station is off the air.

It has snowed since about 9:00 last night. Amazingly it has not yet piled up on the streets but all of our trees and shrubs are down and there is about six inches of snow in the grassy areas. The entrance to our front door was literally blocked by tree branches weighted down from the snow.

I knocked the snow off freeing a path to the door. Some trees and shrubs, though, appear doomed.

The snow is very wet and thus a heavy burden to the plant life.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Diane Amberg

You can keep it!  I'm sorry for your plant life though. Perhaps you can prune it? We have a big Nor'easter coming up Saturday with the possibility of a little snow, but not much, mostly high wind and heavy rain.

Janet Harrington

I saw this on the news, Waldo. My goodness. I hope it doesn't last very long.

Wilma

Just send me the rain, Waldo.  You can keep the heavy snow for now.

farmgal67357

I saw it on the news, too. My knees are aching just thinking about the cold, wet, stuff! :'(
Lisa
Lisa

Ms Bear

I wish I could just smell it.  Still hot and dry here, you can smell the dust in the air.  I haven't smelled Colorado with snow for a long time but I do remember it.

Tonight when we were walking we noticed a very fragrant area at the end of my yard and when we came back we noticed it again so of course we had to try to find it.  It was sweeter than honeysuckle and we didn't see anything in bloom.  Finally saw some little tiny flowers on a huge bush that I usually trim all the wild branches to try to keep a shape and also keep it so we can mow under it.  It is probably about 10 or 15 years old and very large and all the flowers are on this long new growth that I have always cut off.  I will have to trim it after it quits blooming, but will enjoy the wonderful fragrance until then.

Wilma

Find out what it is and let us know.  My fragrance lately was coming from some wild asters that I always let grow in one of my beds.  They bloom late in the season with tiny white flowers.  The other day they were just loaded with honey bees and other assorted insects.

W. Gray

Twenty-one degrees at wake up this morning.

But the sun is peaking over the hill and the high is expected to be 45.

The sun should melt the snow from the trees and shrubs.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Ms Bear

It is actually 55 here in Texas at 6 pm.  We did get some rain last night and the county next to has lifted their burning ban on some things.  They can burn limbs and leaves but nothing else.

Wilma, I will try to find out what it is.  Also going to see if I can get a start from it, have a couple of other places I would like to put some.  Especially since I know how tolerant it is to drought.

W. Gray

This morning there were approximately 25,000 people in Denver and another 25,000 to the north still without power.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk