American Legion Membership

Started by frawin, October 02, 2011, 08:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

Quoteparallel dates set by Congress of war-time service.

Is this to mean, that whenever Congress (President declared war), then they are omitted (as Viet Nam was not declared)? , yet those who fought to protect our country were just lip servicemen/women to the Organization set by yahoos?????

Not to deface ANYONE who SERVED in the Armed Forces.....I salute you gentlemen/women!

Is this a stint on behalf of our government for the wrong place at the right time....for whom?????
I  edited this to make it more clear.
ready

readyaimduck

I yet ammend that again:

The Viet Nam and Desert Storm eras are at the wrong time for the wrong reasons.
ready

Janet Harrington

Quote from: larryJ on October 03, 2011, 06:32:50 PM
I was curious so I surfed................

This is a quote from an American Legion Post................

Q: Why is membership in The American Legion limited to certain periods of time? I served in military, but not during The American Legion eligibility periods.
A: The American Legion was founded in 1919 as a war-time veterans organization. It was chartered by Congress on this basis. Our membership eligibility dates parallel dates set by Congress of war-time service.

So there you have it..........the rules were set by Congress who usually can't get anything right anyhow.

Larryj

So there you have it. Congress making a decision that they weren't qualified to make. If it was founded in 1919, why hasn't this been changed to include all veterans?

larryJ

Au contraire, dear Janet, read on...........................

More surfing..............

A congressional charter is a law passed by the United States Congress that states the mission, authority and activities of a group. Congress issued federal charters from 1791 until 1992 under Title 36 of the United States Code.

The relationship between Congress and the organization is largely a symbolic honorific giving the organization the aura of being "officially" sanctioned by the U.S. government. However Congress does not oversee or supervise organizations with the charter (other than receiving a yearly financial statement). In order to clarify that the chartered organizations are not government entities and not supervised by the government both the House and the Senate in 1990s agreed not to issue additional charters.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Wilma

Can I assume that this is something that the American Legion can change?  Seems to me that they should be working on it.

larryJ

From what I have been reading this morning, there apparently is a bill that has been introduced before Congress to create the Cold War Medal.  I haven't fully read everything about this, but it has been around for a while.  I think I read that the Department of Defense is not wanting to acknowledge this medal.  If this medal was to be awarded then that could change the eligibility requirements for admission to the American Legion.  I will have to read more about this.  Basically, if the Cold War Medal is approved, then all veterans would be eligible for admission.

Something to read up on today between running granddaughters back and forth to school. :)

Larryj

jarhead

Jo,
I will be dealing with them McD kids when I get back from Austin, Tx where I'm going for a Nam reunion. Then on to Houston for a day or so. We will be drinking copious amounts of cold beer and I will be bringing all the aluminum cans back and deposit them in a certain oil man's yard, in Bartlesville as we pass thru. I heard he is destitute now that the price of crude is down so I want to help him out so he don't have to walk the ditches picking up cans. I won't mention his name but after just having back surgery he shouldn't be lugging sacks of cans.

Jo McDonald

You are SO KIND AND GOOD, Ron.  And I know the unnamed recipient will be ever so grateful.

Good grief---why am I getting in the middle of this ? ~~~~~~~~~~ (so I can sit here and laugh my head off --- that's why )
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

Quote from: Jo McDonald on October 05, 2011, 04:23:38 PM
You are SO KIND AND GOOD, Ron.  And I know the unnamed recipient will be ever so grateful.

Good grief---why am I getting in the middle of this ? ~~~~~~~~~~ (so I can sit here and laugh my head off --- that's why )
I tried to call a friend in Texas that is a State Trooper, I want to tell him to watch for a Kansas tag in the Austin  area and in the Austin to Houston area. I was going to tell him the guy claims to be a Marine attending a gathering of his old out fit, but in reality he is smuggling dope from Mexico.

larryJ

ooooooooooh. :o :o :o :o   That's harsh........and cold hearted.

Maybe since he is drinking all that beer, a simple DUI would be better. ;D

However, Ron, I am very proud that you would think of this unmentioned person in such a kind way and make the kind of sacrifice that you are making. :angel:

Larryj

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk