Something new to try....

Started by farmgal67357, September 28, 2011, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo McDonald

Ron...right after the 800# is successful---call me 1-800-Got Fish ---leave the message for me to come for supper.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Teresa

Bullheads are definitely part of the catfish flat head whiskered fish family.
I don't like them.. I think their meat is too soft and ..well~~ I jut don't like to eat them. I'm not crazy about catfish unless they are caught early ( or out of our lake where we feed the danged things) They are my least favorite but they're ok.  Flathead are wonderful.. but again.. better if they're caught early  in the spring.
Can't beat crappy or bass perch or blue gill...plain and simple. Cleaned and scored on the sides with the tail left on.. fried up crispy .. the tail is my favorite.. Yummy!!
I like a good mess of trout if we catch and cook them the same day. Daddy used to put a mean smoke on trout.. Man oh man those things were good. Derek can smoke good trout too.
I actually like any and all fish and seafood except scallops.. ( too sweet)
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

jarhead

Teresa,
Now what would any McD know about eating fish---oh yea, I forgot---they wrote the book on eating fish/fishing. Old Don McD had forgot more about river fishing than I ever knew.
I used to think flathead was King of eating fish but after devouring several tons of it, I would rather have scale fish now too.
Glad to see someone else still scales them damn perch & bluegill and fries them up that way. they are good and that tail part must be another McD thing because I heard ol Sarge say he likes a little tail once in awhile---think he was talking about eating fish !!!
Channel cats are the worst of the catfish to me unless they are small enough to fry whole--then I like'em. Trout ?? Why hell you just as well eat a card board picture of a fish as eat trout---unless you soak them in apple juice and then smoke them.
What I really would like to have is some of them Sheeps head your Dad used to catch--and some of them Pike he knew how to clean where they weren't full of bones------NO, he never gave me any but he gave them to ol Sarge and I would punch that turkey in the eye and take them away from him.

farmgal67357

All I know is that this fish was so yummy! And I'm not the world's best cook. I think I'll make fish tacos with it next....
Lisa
Lisa

Jane

If you put Catfish or Bull heads in 7 up over night and bake it. It picks up the sweet from the 7 up and is great.

Jo McDonald

Jane --- that would make Teresa and Sherri up-chuck.

Those two girls of mine can't eat anything that even HINTS of a sweet taste.  My Mother was the same way.  Glucose
intolerant ---  it is a scary thing.

Ron ---- That is true that Fred McDonald could turn a bony Northern Pine in to a boneless fillet and then I would turn it into
a gourmet delight.

I think it a mortal sin to fillet blue gill and crappie.  Then need to be fried crispy w/tail intact and skin on.

You need to eat some trout that I fry -- fresh caught, marinated in buttermilk - rolled in seasoned flour w/a little cornmeal and fried nice and crispy on the outside -- yummy in the middle.  Darn----I'm fish hungry.!!!!
  I love trout smoked too.

sixdogsmom

You guys are makin' me fish hungry! I bought some fish sticks last night and although they were tasty, it's not quite the same thing. We always left all the fins on the panfish and when they are cooked you just pull them out and all those teeny little bones come with them, allowing you to just fold over the meat from tail to ribs. Yum, I can almost tast it!  ;)
Edie

jarhead

Jo,
I have tried the fish soaked in 7-UP too and it is too sweet for my taste. I do not like anything that masks the fish taste. 7-UP is made to mix with Vodka--period.
Not doubt the crappie that Teresa catches and gives you HAVE to be cooked whole--kinda like sardines---but those big as slab sided crappie I catch have to be filleted and cut down in size to fit in a 12 inch skillet.
This past spring I was giving last years fish away to make room for this years catch and then I went "dirt fishing" all spring instead of re-stocking. If I want fish this winter it looks like I will be sitting in my boat with icicles hanging from my chin whiskers, trying to snag some crappie out of a brush pile---either that I or I will be eating Mackerel cakes (which aint bad eating)
Did you like the Sheepshead that Fred caught down south? I've been told they are considered "soul food" but I love them.
Bro

Sarge

Quote from: jarhead on September 29, 2011, 07:49:39 AM

Not positive Teresa but I think that bullheads are in the catfish family along with , spoonbill

Spoonbill are not in the catfish family.  C'mon tarhead, you need to put your brain in gear before engaging your mouth. You know  a spoonbill is not a catfish,
the older I get the more I know how little I knew when I knew it all

Jo McDonald

I just re-read my last post .....Who in the hell would want to eat a Northern PINE ????   I meant to type Northern Pike.

I hope today makes more sense than it did yesterday ---

And Yes, we loved Sheephead -- and also the red drum was delicious.  My favorite was Fresh Tuna and Shark.  YUM !!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk