Something new to try....

Started by farmgal67357, September 28, 2011, 06:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmgal67357

We bought some fish at Dillons on sale at $1.99 a pound. It is called Swai and is Vietnamese catfish. We bought it because they had baked samples to try, with their house seasoning no less, and it was sooooo delicious! I got two, 2 pound packages of it and they seasoned it for me for free!. We made it last light, and again, it was awesome! It doesn't have the "muddy" taste that catfish around here can have and it's very flaky. Swai, I highly recommend it! YUM!
Lisa
Lisa

jarhead

If your catfish caught around here have a muddy taste then you need to learn how to clean them the right way

readyaimduck

Quoteyou need to learn how to clean them the right way

You mean not let them  swim in the family bathtub for 24 hours like dad did?   
No wonder I don't like catfish, and bathing in a bathub! 

ready

Wilma

Soak the cleaned fish in salt water at least overnight.

farmgal67357

I've never cleaned fish. Is catfish the one that some folks soak in milk?
Lisa
Are catfish the same as bullheads?
Lisa

Teresa

Catfish and bullheads are different.
Ron is right... Cleaning anything is the difference between good and bad tasting meat.
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

Ole Granny

Bullheads may be my favorite fish, along with crappie, catfish bass, trout..and anything else.  There use to be a a bullhead pond at M K & O.  You could throw your line in and snap you had a bullhead.  Now that I miss.
"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

Wilma

The best bullheads are the ones you catch in your own pond.

Humpy

I am with Jarhead. After you skin that cat you need to very carefully cut off/out anything that is red on the sides and slice off the silver membrane. No perging needed.

jarhead

That's right Humpy and not to forget to hang that flathead by the mouth and cut off it's tail so it can bleed out. People that think they taste like mud did not cut all that 'red meat' off and the worst taste is if you leave any fat on it. YUCK !!! The idea of soaking in salt water is to draw out the blood, but if cleaned right there aint no blood to draw out.
Not positive Teresa but I think that bullheads are in the catfish family along with flathead, channel, spoonbill and the dreaded Mad Tom. You would be better off trying to pick up a dozen bumble bees than to touch a Mad Tom. I love bullheads too(hate cleaning them ) but not out of a muddy pond. Gotta come from a creek or clear water impoundment . IMO
If Humpy would drag out his old wall phone and take me to that nice clear water lake behind his house, we could dial  1-800-BIG-FISH, and maybe get us a nice mess of bullheads !! :D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk