Just Walkin

Started by warsey, September 28, 2011, 10:07:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

warsey

If you have been to Moline then you`ve probably seen me and my lil buddy Sammy walkin
around town. I started walkin because my knees were so bad that I thought I would have to have
them replaced. Well after 3 years of walkin around town my knees do not hurt no more. It was
funny at first cause when I started walkin(limping) I had 1 lady come up too me and told me
that she would pray for me. Well, her prayers mustof helped. Another man thought that I was
mentally handicapped. I drove to the post office and he told me that he didn`t know that I
could drive.I found a couple of facts about walking. 30 minutes of walking is a terrific antidepressent.
It lowers blood pressure. It helps tame type 2 diabetes.Walking 15 minutes a day makes you
physically 3 years younger.The study tracked more than 400,000 people for more than 8 years.

Judy Harder

I agree with you 100% Warsey.
If I did not walk at least 4 or 5 times a week, sometimes it is daily, but last few months I have had to alter my walking, keep having sinking spells. . I don't know what else to call them, neither does the doctors.
I can be walking along and reach down to untangle a dog or just stop to catch my breath after a little bit faster walk than normal and I get very light-headed. Haven't passed out, yet, but I do keep that in the back of my mind.

When I started walking my body was adjusting to fibromalgia and lots of different kinds of arthritis. I always said I felt like I had been hit by a Mac Truck, but was still able to breathe...........it would take me about 10 minutes to walk to the post office and that was with a cane and stopping to rest in the block and a half walk.

Now, after taking the first step about 15 years ago, I can walk at least 45 minutes and sometimes an hour or better. I do the walk across Kansas each year. No, I am not winning any races, but I am keeping the wheel chair at bey for a few more years.

It was funny. When I started walking here, each few steps I took someone would stop and ask did I need a ride............and after a bit unless I flagged someone down.only one time did I feel threatened when a couple of coon hounds came at me down by the park and tried to tree me and the little dogs.

Now I start out slowly walking the dogs pace and then we pick it up and altho I am tired when I get home, I feel great.
Not the same when cabin fever hits and the nasty weather gets me. but unless it is sub artic or hotter than hades, I will bundle up and waddle around my walk.
My fox terrier is 16 and when I got him he was FAT. He was about 7 and had been allowed to eat what ever he wanted and showed it. The walking has lessened his poundage and his arthritis doesn't seem to be as bad either.
So I do advocate walking or at least some form of exercise.
Continue to do what you do. It works
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

warsey

I work 2nd shift so I try to get around 2-4 miles a day before I go to work.Around here that means
going around a couple of blocks twice or more.Sometimes I go out to the lake and walk.Once in
awhile I take my camera with me and take pictures of Moline and put them in an album I got on
facebook.

Judy Harder

My walk takes place on the main road, Kansas, thru Longton and most times it is north across highway and down the old road to Hitchin Creek. It is private property and also black top so my ankles and legs don't have to fight the large hunks of gravel the city uses now. Also once I get across highway, there is no animal I must deal with except a cow or two and if the gate is shut, I honor that and head south on Kansas walk to fairgrounds and when foliage is dead or low enough I can see footing, (snakes. and poison ivy, etc) then I will go down to river.
On a good day, I will go on a piece of property that is just behind the highschool, but if I go down the drive it goes to the bottom ground where he farms and makes for a nice walk.
Now, if I know which route I am taking, I will allert someone and if I am not back in a decent time, they know where to look. So far, Praise the Lord, they have not had to search for me.............but I am careful when I am feeling puny then I stay on Kansas and there is always someone aware I am there. Nosy town.....LOL but there for me, if I need them.
Happy walking.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk