Last Meal Request

Started by W. Gray, September 22, 2011, 03:55:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

Texas Execution, last night, last meal request:

Lawrence Russell Brewer, who was executed Wednesday for the hate crime slaying of James Byrd Jr. more than a decade ago, asked for two chicken fried steaks, a triple-meat bacon cheeseburger, fried okra, a pound of barbecue, three fajitas, a meat lover's pizza, a pint of ice cream and a slab of peanut butter fudge with crushed peanuts.

Prison officials said Brewer did not touch any of it.

A Texas congressman told prison officials today if they did not stop the last meal request he would initiate a law to terminate the procedure. Prison officials agreed.

Last meals for prisoners on death row will now be the same as for the regular inmate population.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

larryJ

In reading up on the origination of this "last meal request", it seems to come from earlier times in the belief that the person being executed will not come back and haunt anyone.  And, to make them happy and calm, etc.

Personally, I don't see the need to grant a last meal request.  Why do anything nice for someone you are about to execute?  This is something I, along with everyone else, accept as "this is the way it's done" way of thinking.  Since it is a hot topic right now, I thought about it and decided...............what's the use? 

Just thinking. 

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

W. Gray

I never could believe that anyone who knowingly was about to die had the mental or physical capability to eat.

If I were about to go to the chair or the table, I think I would be so nervous I could not eat.

However, people who can kill without compassion apparently can have their own frame of mind to do anything they desire.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

readyaimduck

I personally would have recommended for his last meal:

Fried yellow-bellied chicken ala 'rue' (spelling intentional for roux), side order of dissapointment, slice of humble pie topped with The Golden Rule.

But that's just how I roll.
ready

Teresa

I don't think that the person on death row gave much consideration to their victim on any level.. so my response is..
Nope... They got too many "meals" as it was while waiting on death row.

in my opinion.. when the judge hits the gavel and says death row.. it is "death row"..
Meaning.. a week max on that level then its Gods turn to make his accommodations. In and out!

At the taxpayers expense ...  a ridiculous amount of time is spent feeding and housing this level of inmate..
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

doobie

Let the Victim's families choose what the a**holes get to eat!!!!!
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

jarhead

Doobie,
Why would you call those poor souls an a**hole?? Aint you heard----every last one of them is innocent. :D

Jo McDonald

Why should they even see what was on the menu?  Here's your plate -- this is what you get...eat it or do without.

Jeez~~coddle all the killers -- deny all the needy.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk