HUTTON, James Elijah - b. May 18, 1862 - d. March 31, 1948

Started by genealogynut, December 22, 2006, 04:37:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

genealogynut

Howard Courant-Citizen
Thursday, April 8, 1948

James Elijah Hutton was born near Monticello, Jones county, Iowa, May 18, 1862.  He was a son of William Washington Huttton and Martha Jane Ennis Hutton.

The Hutton famiy, who were of Scotch descent, and the Ennis family of Irish descent, moved from Ohio and Pennsylvania in a very early day.  James E. Hutton and Martha Jane Ennis both moved to Iowa at this time with their parents.  When Mr. Hutton was 17 years of age he moved from Iowa with his sister, Almira Hutton Newman to Sullivan county, Missouri.  Here he spent two years.  He then moved to Decatur county, Iowa, where he lived for two more years among the Mormons.  He helped in the hauling of the rocks for the construction  of the Mormon Temple.

Mr. Hutton then moved to Bennett, Nebraska, where he met Margaret Anna Livingston whom he had known in early childhood. On November 5, 1885, they were united in marriage at Lincoln, Nebraska.  To this union wre born three children, Elmer of Pueblo, Colorado; Mrs. Beulah Montgomery of Howard, and Daniel Harrison of "Harry" Hutton, who passed away in 1921.  Mrs. Hutton preceded him in death August 14, 1939.

Mr. and Mrs. Hutton came to Kansas soon after their marriage and Mr. Hutton was employed in railroad construction, after which he went to work in the coal fields near Frontenac, Kansas.  After five years in the coal mining industry he moved to a farm in the Frontenac community.  He farmed in southeastern Kansas until 1896 when the family moved to Elk county and purchased a farm near Moline.  In 1910 Mr. Hutton again went to the state of Nebraska where he worked on a 1000 acre stock ranch near Atkinson.  In 1917 he returned to his farm in Elk county.

The Huttons moved to Howard, Kansas, February 28, 1935.  Mr. Hutton was received into the Howard Methodist church by Dr. T. R. Heath through confession of faith and baptism December 21, 1941.  Being unable to come to the church he was baptized and recieved the vows in his home. He was also a member of the Grange lodge.

Mr. Hutton was honest in his business dealings, clean in his habits of speech and expressed his faith in God and Christ long before he made his decison to unite with the church.

Mr. Hutton was very fond of playing games and enjoyed as much having his close friends and neighbors come and play croquet with him.

He is survived by two brothers, Chas. D. Hutton of Gentry, Arkansas, and Le Roy W. of Bennet, Nebraska; by a son, Elmer Hutton of Pueblo, Colorado and the daughter, Mrs. Beulah Montgomery, of the home.  He is also survived by four grandchildren, two great-grandchildren, a number of nieces and nephews and many friends.  He departed this life Wednesday, March 31, 1948, at the age of 85 years, 10 months, and 13 days.

Funeral services were held at the Moon Chapel in Howard at 2:00 p.m., Saturdday, April 3rd, conducted by Rev. P.L. Mitchell, pastor of the Howard Methodist church.   The pall bearers were Walter Street, Frank Street, Fred Street, Jess Sallee and Carl Sallee.  Burial was in Green Lawn Cemeter at Grenola, Kansas.

genealogynut

His residence in Howard was on the southeast corner of Randolph and Plum streets.  He had a regular croquet ground (on the south side of his home)  fixed up where he spent much of his retirement time.  Ysidero Moreno lived across the street from him and used to play croquet with him quite often.

Marcia Moore

I emailed genealogynut, who used to be a member of this forum, and she gave me the following information about Ysidro.
     "Ysidero worked for the Santa Fe railroad for many years, and lived across the street just north of the old locker in the southwest part of Howard.  He and Rosa had two daughters that I know of, Anita and Juanita.  They had adopted a son, Raymond.  The last I knew, Anita had never married.  She retired from the Howard Twilight Manor and later moved to Wichita.  I don't know if she would be listed in any directories or not.  Anita did raise a boy named Anthony Terrell.  It is believed he's living in the Wichita area, also.  But I cannot attest to that.  Juanita married and had children, but I do not know her husband's name.  Ysidro Moreno was a good friend of the Gallardo family, also living in Howard.  Corrie (Gallardo) Montgomery may be able to provide more info on the Moreno family.  She lives in Howard.  That's about all I can tell."

frawin

Marcia Moore

Another message I received from genealogy nut: The newspapers / obits at the Howard Library, only go to about 1974.  It may be better to order the microfilm for the Howard newspapers through the KSHS and read it at their library in Andale.  This would save some mileage, time and frustration.
     I, myself, would like to add: I have been to the Howard Library several times to use the microfilm machine in the last year or two only to find that it wouldn't copy or it wouldn't work at all.  It is very frustrating to travel to Howard only to find out I wasted my time.  I would hate to travel clear from Andale just to find out it wouldn't work.   

imakeyper

Oh my goodness thank you for the wonderful information.  Ysidro & Rosa.......were my Great Grandparents.  I recently found out all of this information.........I'm adopted.  I have been in contact with Anthony and he has been a lot of help! 

first............thank you for contacting geneaologynut and getting the information and then please tell geneaology nut thank you for sharing what he/she knows.

Just wonderful!  Thank you again. 
Robin
1 more quick question............what is the KSHS?  Reading it at the Andale library sounds wonderful :)

ddurbin

KSHS is the Kansas State Historical Society, located in Topeka.  Their website is www.kshs.org  If you tab through to genealogy then newspapers, you can search for a particular town's newspaper by date.  Your local library, if it has a microfilm reader available, can request up to 2 rolls of microfilm at a time from KSHS through the Inter-Library Loan program and have them sent to them for you to read on-site.  Normally KSHS can get them sent to your local library within 3-4 days of receiving the request, and you have up to 2 weeks to look at them.  It's a great program and I have used it extensively.  Enjoy your researching.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk