Elk County Nostalgia

Started by W. Gray, September 19, 2011, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frawin

For the record the correct spelling for Blodgett is Blodgett, not Bloggett.

ddurbin

While we're clearing the record, I believe Glen Crouse was in extreme NE Cowley County, not Chautauqua.

farmgal67357

Quote from: frawin on September 22, 2011, 09:16:04 PM
For the record the correct spelling for Blodgett is Blodgett, not Bloggett.

Ooops...sorry, my bad!
Lisa
Lisa

Judy Harder

Lisa, all of these communities have been at one time a booming place.  we lived in a house at Busby and from what the "Old-timers!" say and what we read from history.........it was once a major part of the area. Now, it is the school house and several farm/ranches and if you ever go see it, it is a beautiful spot in the road and the neighbors are busy raising cattle, cain and
heck and very nice and fun to deal with. It sits right at the corner where West Elk and Elk Valley school zones are. I had to drive our kids to the corner where the school house is to catch the school bus.
Yes, it is out in the "Boon-Docks" but I enjoyed my time out there. (Oh, at one time you did not take the Busby road east after a rain/storm...........just wasn't any bottom to it.......LOL We use to use it for a short cut (It is) to Fredonia and I sent my city-slicker family that way when they had been to visit us..........and I still catch heck from Dad for the nastiness of the road. It has improved, but I still remember it was like quicksand.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

frawin

Quote from: farmgal67357 on September 23, 2011, 03:04:34 AM
Ooops...sorry, my bad!
Lisa
Lisa, no big mistake, you got closer to the  spelling than lots of people. There are lots of small towns that have disappeared and more that are almost gone. My wife and I like to drive around and visit the towns that are hanging on. If you get a chance go to the Beaumont Hotel on a Sunday for Lunch. If you haven't been there it is a rewarding experience.

W. Gray

Glen Grouse was indeed in Cowley County and had a post office from late 1877 to early 1894.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

farmgal67357

Quote from: frawin on September 23, 2011, 06:12:29 AM
Lisa, no big mistake, you got closer to the  spelling than lots of people. There are lots of small towns that have disappeared and more that are almost gone. My wife and I like to drive around and visit the towns that are hanging on. If you get a chance go to the Beaumont Hotel on a Sunday for Lunch. If you haven't been there it is a rewarding experience.

We've been past there, we were "touring" the windmills, but didn't stop. I didn't know they had a restaurant. We'll have to go back!
Lisa
Lisa

farmgal67357

I think that some of those names are really interesting. Like Fiat. I thought that was an Italian car!
Lisa
Lisa

flintauqua

"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

jpbill

Lisa, the town of Fiat was is pronounced with a long "i" and a short "a".

My grandparents shipped all the farm equipment, animals, and household goods to Fiat when they moved to Elk county from Nebraska in 1921.  Fiat was the closest railroad station to their new home just north of the Antioch church.

Bill Hawkins
Grandson of Cordial and Mae Stanley

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk