Elk County Nostalgia

Started by W. Gray, September 19, 2011, 06:45:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sodbuster

Plaza Theatre
115 S Wabash Ave
Howard KS 66439
435 Seats.

Does anyone know the name of the lady that would have been in the box office? She was there when my mom was a kid and there when I was a kid. Time frame 40's to 70's. I think here name was Babe for some reason.

David

Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Jo McDonald

Babe Morris ---- after her husband passed away, she married Freddie Joe Rhoades.... Her name in the late 60's and 70's 
   Babe Rhoades
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

frawin

David, it was Babe Morris, she and her husband Byron had the Theater for many years, Byron passed away and Babe married Freddie Joe Rhoades. Later Babe sold the Theater to one of my Classmates, Robert Miller and I think Robert ran it until he finally shut it down. Babe and Byron had both the Howard and the Moline Theater.

W. Gray

Interesting that Grenola had a larger capacity theater than Moline.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

sodbuster

Thanks everyone for the answers. The number of seats also threw me at 435. As I thought about the number of seats I began to think maybe Waldo had posted something from the days when EK had 10,000 people. Now that I have your attention can anyone tell me a time when that 435 seater was pretty well filled? I love the history I can find here. I know the stories may seem boring to you, but I would really love to hear them.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

W. Gray

I saw the movie "Gun Belt" at the Plaza in 1953, the year that movie was released. It was a Saturday night. I recall this particular movie because my sister was with me and the costar was Tab Hunter. All the girls thought he was a heart throb. The admission was 12 cents.

Elk County population in 1950 was 6,679 and Howard 1249 (I think).

I seem to recall the theater being packed.

I also saw "Last of the Desperadoes" in 1955. I recall the star was Jim Davis, who was an impressive actor even though he did not seem to ever make it really big until he became Jock Ewing. It was again a Saturday night and I thought the theater was packed.

I probably saw a dozen movies at the Plaza in the early to mid 50s even though we moved away from Howard in 1946.

W. Gray

Just for the record, the highest Elk County population on record was 14,283 during the 1885 Kansas decennial census.

Diane Amberg

It would be interesting to know why the various families did leave when they did. I would guess for jobs? I would have suspected those who were tied to the land for their living were less likely to leave.

Wilma

That's about right.  That is why the movers and shakers in Elk County come from families that homesteaded Elk County or settled here generations ago.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk