God's Heart for You.

Started by Judy Harder, September 13, 2011, 07:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Be Present This Holiday Season

Nov 26 2011

Ornament by Lisa Leonard

The holidays come and the busyness of life heightens, doesn't it?

In addition to the every day, there are cards to be sent, presents to be bought, cookies to be baked, a tree to be trimmed and so much more.

Amidst the chaos, I find myself stretched thin, in a holiday fog as I go from one thing to the next.

Please tell me you can relate.

From Black Friday to New Year's life is just go, go, go.

But not this year.

This year, I am making a commitment.

I will be present.

I will not get overwhelmed.

I will serve the poor.

I will enjoy holiday traditions.

I will be present.

I will not overcommit.

I will bless others.

I will reflect on the majesty of the Lord as I sing "Silent Night".

I will be present.

Will you join me in this commitment to be present?

Let's make this holiday season extra beautiful by taking things in stride, enjoying the moments and giving thanks to the One who came to earth for us.

:angel:
The Guest Who Wouldn't Leave

I looked up from the toys strewn all over my kids' room and glanced at the clock. I calculated how long I would need to cook dinner. My husband would arrive home any minute, and my guest was still here.

Usually I have more control over the situation. I drive this friend of mine to the store about once a week. Speaking in my second language to my Indonesian friend, as we walk with our young kids around the stiflingly hot store wears me out. But at least I can say that it's time to go and drive her home.

But this time I pulled up in front of her house, and she stayed in my car.

"I'm not ready to go home yet. Can I come to your house?"

A half hour into her visit, I wracked my tired brain for more questions, more topics of conversation to draw out my quiet friend. Then her 3-year-old son with the disability started banging his head on the floor. And as she normally does, I waited for her to scoop up her thrashing son into her arms and shout her goodbye as she struggled out my front door.

But this time she stayed.

And she began crying and talking like she'd never before shared. I already knew some of the hard things in life. Her arranged marriage to her husband who keeps her at a distance. Her strained relationship with her in-laws—with whom she and her husband live. The blame placed on her for her son's health problems. Her distance from her God, to whom she prays in Arabic.

This time she told me more and my heart broke again. She said she wanted to leave her husband that week. I thought about this friend as a single mom, caring for an autistic son on her own, and I forgot about dinner.

I was afraid to do it, but I prayed for her to my close God, and though we don't share our beliefs, she listened. And she stayed.

I talked about a love that never ends and comfort from a God who cares and verses that give life. I waited for her to walk away, thrashing against my words as they banged in her head, shouting her final good-bye.

But she stayed.

And dinner would just have to wait, and I knew my husband would understand, and the mess got bigger as the kids played, and her mess wasn't going to go away with one conversation. And her heart needed more than a fixed marriage or a healthy son.

BUT, days later, she sent a text. Though this certainly isn't the end of the story, for now anyway, she wouldn't leave him. For now, she would stay.

By Rebecca Hopkins, Borneo Wife

Photo Credit, Tibchris

How about you, friend?
What are you thankful for today?

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

A Sunday Scripture

Nov 27 2011

I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.

It is right for me to feel this way about all of you, since I have you in my heart; for whether I am in chains or defending and confirming the gospel, all of you share in God's grace with me. God can testify how I long for all of you with the affection of Christ Jesus.

And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ—to the glory and praise of God.

~Philippians 1:3-11.

::

With so much love to you and yours on this weekend of giving thanks – Lisa-Jo, community manager of (in)courage.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

I remember over-hearing a lady talk about her "good dishes" and how she saved them for special guests and occasions when they ate in the dining room. On regular days, her family ate off of plastic picnic plates in the kitchen, just to be safe.

These "good dishes" she referred to weren't priceless heirlooms or antiques, they were simply what I would call pretty dishes. This struck me as kind of strange. Why would you have to settle for "not good" plastic dishes every day and then only a couple of times a year when you had the "right guests" you could enjoy your "good" dishes in the dining room?

It seemed a little backwards to me. I mean, what was the worst that could happen if I used my "good" dishes on a regular day? Maybe a dish would break while we were eating tacos on an ordinary Tuesday. Yes, it could happen! But what if a dish didn't break on a Tuesday and we enjoyed those good dishes for 365 days in a row? Hmmm...

It struck me if my good dishes were that irreplaceable, I had my priorities a wee bit off. If my pretty dishes had to be saved for "someday" with "special guests," what message was I sending to my family about celebrating every day blessings? Is celebrating gratitude at the table something to be experienced only when everything is "perfect" and we have a special day set aside for it? I didn't want hospitality or gratitude to be something we reserved for only when we had the perfect conditions.

I had so many blessings under my roof and around my table on ordinary week days, I wanted to acknowledge my thankfulness now! In fact, if I was blessed enough to even have "good dishes" I decided I was going to live as a rebel and set my table with good dishes any day of the year.

Blessings are meant to be noticed, shared, appreciated and celebrated. Always. Not just on special occasions.

I want to create a sense of gracious hospitality in our home and nurture gratefulness around our table more often than just when we have "the right guests" or the "perfect occasion." Putting an extra measure of care and beauty into our every day moments, including setting our table with pretty dishes or inviting guests to our home even on ordinary days, is one way I remind our family how blessed we are by God every day in immeasurable ways.

Celebrating the every day blessings with the "good dishes" is a visual symbol to me, a way to cement that attitude of gratitude, hospitality and thanksgiving more deeply in our hearts.

It might be risky to set the table with the good dishes on ordinary Tuesdays (you never know what might happen!) but I think I'll take that risk if it helps my family to remember how really blessed we are today.

Thoughts From the Cave

Although the past few years have been hard for my family and I,  God has used them  to bring about needed changes  and growth.  I have learned more about God's grace, and He has produced in me a deeper love for others! At times I have faced  inner turmoil and wrestling with God. Questioning. Unknown. Fear.  Feeling out of control. God and a few of His people have taken  the time to help  sort through each one.  They helped us set it all at the foot of the cross. Our faith has grown.

Faith that He knows everything...even when I can see nothing!

When it rains it pours? That's what it feels like!

I get irritated when my husband says, "God is good..."

I want to yell, "but this is all so hard!"

Yes, but God is STILL good.

Psalm 57:1 "Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me, for in you my soul takes refuge; in the shadow of your wings I will take refuge,til the storms of destruction pass by. I cry out to God Most High, to God who fulfills His purpose for me.  He will send from heaven and save me...God will send out His steadfast love and His faithfulness..."

As I face each day, there are things that need to get done, places to go, and people who need me.  I need to purpose to focus on this truth: God IS kind and merciful, and even though it feels like I am hiding in a cave, I'm hiding under the shadow of His wings. (like David in the cave–His situation seemed desperate, but the truth was that he was exactly where God wanted him. Secure in God's protecting embrace!)

Then there are times I peer into the future. I look around me and see the the way things are and I become discouraged!  I look ahead and I become fearful. Stressed!

"Mom, are you stressed today?"  How did he know? I've not yelled and screamed. I've not spoken harshly to him. "It's your face, Mom. You have that look. You look stressed!" I can't hide it from my family when I am irritated or carrying those things that are not mine to carry! And I can't hide it from God either.

"Are you stressed, Gina?" As if HE has to ask! He is not really ASKING, He is drawing me to Himself! "Are you stressed? Why are you peering into the future? Why are you carrying other people's burdens? Why are you overwhelmed? Why are you concerned about your reputation? Aren't I big enough to handle all of that?  Haven't I already proven MYSELF to you over and over?"

"Yes, Lord. You have. I'm sorry. Please forgive me!"

He always does!

God is so patient and merciful.  And even though it might feel like I am hiding in a cave,  I'm hiding under the shadow of His wings.  (Like David in the cave. His situation seemed desperate, but the truth was that he was exactly where God wanted him, securely in God's protecting embrace!)

Securely in God's protecting embrace!

by Gina at Keepin' it Real

Building Character in Your Children

As a home decor blogger, normally I would be writing an article about building character and I'd mean character like the charm of an old house. But truth be told, I'm far more concerned about my kids character than I am about any home decor project I've ever attempted.

I have three children, ranging in age from 23 down to 11. While our youngest is just 11, I have a lot of hope and "confident expectation" for the man he will become. He is a young man in process, but he has a heart that could be shaped and used greatly by the Lord. Right now, we are deep into character building. I don't know the end of the story yet. But I will report back to you on how that goes in about 10 years.

Yet I can say with confidence, at ages 20 and 23, my girls have already turned into great young women of God. They care about each other and their brother, they respect their parents and they are smart hardworking college educated kids! They are still growing and maturing, as we all should do for a lifetime, but I am confident enough in them to know their hearts are fully surrendered to God and His plan for their life. They are self-sacrificing, God-honoring young women whose character is evident to all who know them. And because of those quality in them, He has many more great things in store!

So how did I raise such amazing kids? Am I super mom? Should I win the mother of the year award?

No, not at all. I have failed many times. I'm not the perfect mom and my husband is not the perfect dad. I didn't win the popular mom vote, the most fun mom award or the most Martha-like homemaker award. We didn't read all the right parenting books or put our kids on the right schedules for success. We didn't go to parenting seminars or have a detailed step by step plan for how to raise our kids. We disappointed our kids and ourselves many times. We cried many tears and prayed many prayers along the way. Our kids are amazing, but not perfect. And they can still fail! We are not the perfect family by any stretch of the imagination.

For you young moms, I don't have all the parenting answers. I'm not an expert and don't claim to have the success formula.

I've seen children grow up and choose to go their own way, with their free will — and it breaks their mama's hearts. My heart breaks for those moms, many of whom did all they could and their children still disappointed them. We always have to hold our kids with open hands.

All I can offer you new moms, who are just beginning this journey of motherhood, is what I tried with all my heart to do over the past 23 years:

Faithfully build character into your children every chance you get. Even if you are not the perfect mom in every way, you can be faithful in that. Here are just a few ways to build and model character while raising those children:

Nurture a healthy love and fear of the Lord into their hearts.
Teach them the character qualities of God so they will understand ALL of who He is.
Be there for them ... praise them, hug them goodnight, kiss them goodbye.
Look directly in their eyes when they speak to you. Listen to them.
Be humble about your own imperfection, but firmly instill how much you love them.
Take care of them in ways that are important, let go of the guilt or pressure to be super parents.
Let them fail and take responsibility for it. Love them through it.
Teach them to think and reason and make good choices...and model that for them.
Let your children see that your marriage and family are a priority.
Teach them to show respect, love and concern for others.
Model what it means to love your neighbor as yourself.
Give them opportunities to practice selfless and sacrificial love for others.
Let them shine in how God created them and cheer them on.
Challenge them to be who God created them to be even when it is hard work to get there.
Inspire them for what is possible with God!
Pray for them.
Pray with them.
Remember Who they belong to.
When they question your wisdom, remind them Who they need to please, above all others.
Remind them often that being their mom is one of the highest God-given privileges and honors of your life.
Hang in there moms. I pray you will see the rewards of your labor and the joy of watching your kids grow up to be Godly young men and women of character someday!

How do you build character into your children?

Melissa Michaels, author of The Inspired Room and the ebook NOT a DIY Diva

The Story Project {5 CD Giveaway!}

I'm so excited to be able to connect with all of you (in)courage readers and share about The Story CD and The Story Tour this December.  I'm sure you know my wife Angie from Bloom, her website, or maybe you saw her out with Women of Faith. I'm her balder half.  I'm a singer, not a writer like Angie.

I've had many incredible experiences in my life.  From growing up in Congo, Africa, to sharing life with Angie and my girls, to being in Selah for the past 15 years.

Outside of releasing our latest Selah project "Hope of the Broken World" this year (you know I gotta plug my CD) one of the most significant projects I've worked on is The Story.

I think it's one of the most important projects to come out of Christian music over the past 40 years.  It's that powerful.

The CD is based on "The Story" Bible (The Bible written as a seamless narrative: takes out portions like 'Hukanuka gave birth to Bukabu and Mafugabu').

It's also based on Max Lucado's book "God's Story your story" and Randy Frazee's book "The Heart of the Story."

It's a two disc set with 18 songs about 20 Biblical characters performed by 24 artists!  No small feat!

Bernie Herms (producer, co-wrote "East to West" by Casting Crowns, you may know his wife- Natalie Grant) produced The Story and he and Nichole Nordeman (my favorite Christian music writer) co-wrote all the songs.  Each song focuses on one or two Biblical characters and shares from their perspective.

Bernie asked if I would sing several of the demos for the other male artists as well as record one of the songs on the album. I demoed 7 of the songs.

Originally, I was supposed to be one of the thieves on the cross as a duet with Brandon Heath.  I emailed Nichole and said, "That's fine, just make sure I'm the good thief."  That all changed after I demoed "Broken Praise" (Job's song).  I looked at how Nichole captured the thoughts of a daddy who had lost all his kids, a man having to listen to advice from friends, a man wrestling with God's sovereignty as he walked through this devastating reality.

We lost our daughter Audrey 3 years ago. Many times, good friends wanting to help would offer empty words.  The second verse says  "If one more well intentioned friend tries to tie up my loose ends, hoping to with rug and broom, sweep awkward moments from the room."   The song put words to thoughts I didn't know how to express.

After I demoed that song I said to Bernie, "If the artist who is supposed to record this passes on it I want this song."  A couple weeks later I came in to do another demo and was told "Broken Praise" was mine.  I never re-recorded my lead vocal.  My emotions were so raw that day we kept the demo vocal.

As this CD takes you from Adam and Eve to Moses, from Mary, the Mother of Jesus to Paul, I think you are going to see these Biblical characters as...people.   I look at them as these larger then life personas who knew how everything was going to work out.  They didn't.  Many of them blew it, and many saw themselves as failures.  Meanwhile, God in His sovereignty weaved through each life using them to bring Him glory and to share The Story of His redemptive work.

I hope and pray this CD will impact you, and allow you to see how great God is.  How He can use anyone, and how much He loves us.

Join me and Amy (Selah), Max Lucado, Randy Frazee, Steven Curtis Chapman, Francesca Battistelli, Natalie Grant, The Newsboys, Anthem Lights, and Bernie Herms as we tour The Story in 14 cities this December! You can also follow me on twitter @toddsmithonline for updates on The Story Tour.

Thank you for letting me crash your blog for the day,

Blessings

Todd

GIVEAWAY: We're excited to be giving away five copies of The Story CD – to enter just leave a comment sharing the Bible character you most relate to – we love hearing how Scripture come alive for you. {Winners will be announced Friday December 2nd over here}

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

November 29, 2011

I Want To Learn.
Tags:  Everyday Faith

Ecclesiastes 3:1

"There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens."

I want to learn how to use a sewing machine.

I want to learn how to make popcorn on the stove.

I want to learn the skill of appreciating a season while you are in it.

I want to learn to risk wisely.

I want to learn the secret to the icing on my Aunt Mary's caramel cake.

I want to learn French.

I want to learn to play the piano.

I want to learn how to say the hard thing in the right way at the right time.

I want to learn the art of making chex mix that is perfectly salty.

I want to learn to love like Jesus.

I want to learn how to fondly remember the past without longing for it.

I want to learn when to use "whom" in a sentence.

I want to learn when to keep my mouth shut.

I want to learn how to make bunting.

I want to learn to be more disciplined with my time.

I want to learn to cook a whole chicken.

I want to learn the ins and outs of editing photographs using free online tools like picnik.com.

I want to learn the art of furniture arrangement.

I want to learn when to take cookies out of the oven.

I want to learn the history of Scotland's Covenanters.

I want to learn how to throw a really beautiful party.

I want to learn how to wait on God.

. . . . .

What do you want to learn?

. . . . .

By Annie Downs // AnnieBlogs

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

on being thankful...

Nov 30 2011

"If one could only learn to appreciate the little things...
A song that takes you away, for there are those who cannot hear.
The beauty of a sunset, for there are those who cannot see.
The warmth and safety of your home, for there are those who are homeless.
Time spent with good friends for there are those who are lonely.
A walk along the beach for there are those who cannot walk.
The little things are what life is all about.
Search your soul and learn to appreciate."
-Shadi Souferian

This Thanksgiving season brings with it a lot of sadness for our little family. It will be one of the many "firsts" that we will be experiencing as a family of four, not five. When I think about that, my heart sinks. When I think about how much she loved pumpkins and turkeys, I can't help but to feel like a part of my heart is missing.

But then I look around me.
I look at the amazing fingerprints she left; not only my my life, but the lives of her siblings and family.
I think about the amazing 9 years and the blessings that came with that.
I think about how my life would be so very different if she were not a part of it.
I think about my amazing older children; how far they have come; how much they have been through.
I think about my devoted husband; he has been my rock and anchor through so very much.
I think about my Savior; He has never left me, even during those times that I could not feel His presence.

So, in this seasons of "firsts" when everything around me tells me that I have nothing to be thankful for, I look back and remember all of the blessings that have been bestowed on me, despite the heartache that has come my way. I remember the words of my Father and smile...

"These things I have spoken to you, so that in Me you may have peace. In the world you have tribulation, but take courage; I have overcome the world" -John 16:33

I encourage you to stop, think about what is really important. It is not the turkey, the stuffing, or the table settings, but who is around your table table that matters. It is those people in your lives that you simply could not do "life" without.

Be truly, honestly, painfully thankful for the many blessings in your life. Before you know it, they will be distant memories that you long to experience again.

And most of all, be thankful to the one who allowed you to have those blessings. Be thankful for His grace. Be thankful for His mercy. Be thankful for His sovereignty.

Because you and I would be nothing if it were not for Him.

The Winds Of Change – Becoming A Proverbs 31 Woman

As I sit here the wind outside is blowing. First one way and then another. The leaves can't seem to find a solid place to land. It has been like this for a few days now. One moment our lawn is filled with leaves from the neighbor's trees and when I look out again our lawn is surprisingly clear.

Such is my life at times.

Times when it seems like everything around me is blowing and changing and I just want to find a solid place to land.

It can start from the moment that I wake – so many things I think there is to do. And although I am up much earlier than I should need to be, I find myself blowing around until the door closes behind us.

And I am missing the opportunities to see and hear the sounds and beauty around me. I am so busy flying from one spot to another, looking for that solid place to land that I miss what is right in front of me.

The thump, thump of little feet running down the hallway.

A messy-haired bright-eyed boy who wants nothing more than to say good morning to his mama and have some juice.

A young boy who has questions about the world because he is trying to find his place in it.

When my focus is on myself and all that I think needs to be done in a day, I stop focusing on what God has placed as gifts right in front of me in my family.

Smiles and laughter, hugs and love, encouragement and respect.

These are the things that I need to be intentional about every day with my family. These are the things that I want them to remember about me.

Proverbs 14:1 "The wisest of women builds her house, but folly with her own hands tears it down."

Not that I got yet another load of laundry done, or vacuumed the floors again.  While an important part of my families daily life  – it isn't what they should remember about me.

It shouldn't be my main focus!

Proverbs 22:6 "Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it."

So as the winds blow outside I know that I do not have to be moved. I can secure my foundation on Christ. Focus on His will for me as a wife and mother. And start to become a Proverbs 31 Woman.

Proverbs 31:2 "Her children rise up and call her blessed; Her husband also, and he praises her."

Proverbs 31:10-12 "An excellent wife who can find? She is far more precious than jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her, and he will have no lack of gain. She does him good, and not harm, all the days of her life."

In what area do you struggle in becoming a Proverbs 31 Woman?

By: Kristin at The Smith Family Journey
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

The Original (in)RL: Counting Down 12 Days of (in) real life Christmas Giveaways

December 1 2011

The wind grows colder, the skies go deep-fall blue and the whisper of Christmas is just around the corner.

And around one more corner after that will be (in)RL on April 27 and 28th.

I've been thinking of them both...

How our vision of bringing women together really started with one woman and a baby in a manger long ago.

We've talked, our team, of the Word made flesh who came and made His dwelling among us. How we love that God refused to stay in the virtual and instead came into our everyday.

Christmas was the first (in)RL—the original in real life.
Everything we may do is only an echo and extension.

When Lisa-Jo first spilled words over the phone to me of her passion for letting our community connect with each other in real life, I heard something else in between the lines.

I heard the heartbeat of God within what she was saying, what she was asking all of us to do.

Community here in this place is a start but it's not the be-all, end-all of what loving one another means.

We're made for face-to-face, heart-to-heart, laughter we can hear, smiles we can see, hands we can touch.

We're made for real life.

Christmas is so much about that, really. When you pull back the tinsel and distractions, the memories and meaning that remains is really all about relationships.
About who we are together.

About who we are (in) Him.

Over the next few days, we'll be celebrating in creative ways with you and we hope in all of it you'll see our hearts for this season and (in)RL too.

It's simple, really...

We love Jesus.

And we love you.

by Holley Gerth, a girl who loves Nutella and friendship

Go to (in)Courage.com today.........they are doing 25 days of Christmas. Greeting cards and gifts.....(I try not to advertise on here, but think you could look in here and decide for yourself.
jh
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

what if?

Dec 2 2011

the other evening after tucking the boys into bed, steve came downstairs and said, 'i just had the most surreal experience. i was telling david to lay down and kissing him good-night and as i looked at him i saw a nine year old boy–no disability. just david. it was like our souls had a connection.'

as soon as he described the interaction the tears began to roll down my cheeks. i knew exactly what he meant–there are times, small moments, when i see beyond david's disability and into his soul. and i see a little boy stuck in a body that won't cooperate with him. i see him wanting to speak words and unable to get them out. i see him wanting to tell me something, to ask for something or describe something but there is a chasm between us and it's too wide to cross.

and sometimes in those moments i let myself dip my toe into the dark, scary pool of what if? what if david wasn't born with a disability? what if he had ten fingers? what if he could munch on a hamburger and fries at mcdonald's and begged to play just one more game on the ipad? what if he could imagine stories and tell me all about them and illustrate his ideas on leftover sheets of computer paper?

the truth about 'what if?' is, it doesn't exist.

the truth is, i will never know 'what if?'

the truth is, david was born with a disability. he has seven fingers instead of ten and he can't speak words or express complex thoughts. he is a soul stuck in a broken body.

and the truth is, time spent thinking about 'what if?' is time wasted.

today i choose to focus on what is. today is a new day with joy waiting to be discovered. today is a new day with mercies waiting to be uncovered. today i am grateful for what is. grateful for a nine year old who is healthy and silly. a little boy who is curious and loves to explore and learn new things. grateful for my sweet son who loves to cuddle and kiss and be tickled.

what is, is beautiful.

The steadfast love of the lord never ceases, His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning. Great is thy faithfulness, O Lord.

How Your Marriage Can Survive a Storm

When couples stand before their friends and families on their wedding day and pledge to love one another "for better or for worse," they're probably not thinking that the "for worse" times will come to pass. However, it is likely that most of us will have to weather some kind of storm at some time in our marriages.

The morning after our firstborn's birth, our pediatrician came in to tell us that some of his blood work came back abnormal. By that afternoon, the ambulance crew from another city was there to take my baby. I will never forget the horror of that day as we decided that Ben should go with Landon, while I stayed the additional night I needed to recover from my C-section. I immediately felt closer to Ben than I ever had before, and it was precisely at that moment he had to leave.

The next few weeks were a whirlwind of a ten-day NICU stay, doctors visits (in a city three hours away), lab draws, and a major surgery at 7 weeks old.  Add to that the lack of sleep that comes with a newborn, and it easily could have put a huge strain on our marriage. It was a very painful time, but God really used all of those hours to fuse mine and Ben's hearts even more tightly together.

Our son a few days before surgery

If you find yourself in the midst of a storm, here are three suggestions to help you come out with a thriving marriage:

1.) Do not blame each other.
It is certainly true that there are situations where one spouse is truly at fault {affairs, racking up major credit card bills to the detriment of your credit, etc.} but I'm speaking about the things that come about in life naturally. If your spouse loses his job due to company cutbacks, be very intentional to be encouraging to him. His ego is probably already punctured and deflated- he doesn't need for his wife to add to the injury.

2.) Together, allow God to be your comforter.
If you are going through something truly difficult, you obviously will lean on each other, but there will most likely come a moment when you are both so weak that you just can't be the rock for one another.
Ben was so strong through the whole ordeal, until the day of Landon's surgery. I will never forget when the surgeon came out to talk to us, Ben slid to the floor and sobbed. I was almost in a daze- seeing my strong man like that. I knew at that point that although Ben served as an awesome protector for our family, he simply couldn't protect us from everything- we would have to look to God for that role.

3.) Allow other people to help as well.
I honestly don't think any of us are meant to live isolated lives. In the book of Acts in the early church, we see church members readily helping one another. The help of others was amazing during our time of need. They brought food, they cried with us, they helped us financially, they generally loved on us in an amazing way.

- praise God he is doing well!

Dear sister, if you and your husband (or you alone, if you're single) are going through a rough spot- reach out! If you don't have a church home, I gently urge you to find one- the people there can help nurture you through your trials.

I truly hope that it is smooth sailing in your family right now. But the reality is, some of you reading this are probably at a time in your lives where you wonder how your marriage will ever endure the trials you are having.

But with lots of prayer, your marriage can survive, and even become better through it!

The hubby and I, along with Landon and our two daughters.

by Kelli Hays from More Bang for Your Bucks

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Pray for Me

Dec  3 2011

All I have to do is plunk out a few characters on my iPhone, maybe even while driving or otherwise distracted, to initiate a chain reaction that reverberates in heaven. You have the same power. Type in the words, "Please pray for me," and send it to your Facebook or Twitter feed. Very likely, your closest friends and relatives and even some acquaintances will stop what they are doing and lift you up before the Lord. Even more astonishing, God listens. He knows exactly what you need. And He acts.

Such knowledge gives me goosebumps.

Sadly, I don't usually think about the power that is accessible to me, about the power that has been shaping my life as long as I've been alive. My parents and grandparents were praying for me even before I was born. Nowadays my friends and loved ones, even complete strangers who have read my book or heard my story, tell me frequently that they're praying for me or for my kids or for my husband.

Too often I thank them the same way I would if they told me they liked my shoes. "How sweet," I say, forgetting that praying isn't a nice thing Christians do; it's a terrible, powerful expression of faith that brings us into the very throne room of the Almighty God.

What I think about even less is the people who don't have that kind of power available to them. They don't have a community of believers that has been praying for them. They don't have anyone they can turn to when in need of prayer.

I think of my friends Kitty and Earl, who became believers as adults and whose families are still unsaved. Their teenaged children are making painful life choices, and no grandparents are whispering in their ear, "Don't worry. We'll pray them through this." I think of a woman in Croatia who recently accepted Christ; she begged the missionaries who introduced her to Jesus to go back to the churches that sent had them and to plead with them to pray for her. "If they don't, no one else will," she said. "And I can't do this alone." She's right.

That woman in Croatia, and Kitty and Earl's children are all on my prayer list, each of them by name. Please pray for me that I won't forget to pray for them.

by Heather Gemmen Wilson
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Born of the Heart (A Wild Olive Tees Giveaway!)

Dec 5 2011

"Long before he laid down earth's foundations, he had us in mind, had settled on us as the focus of his love, to be made whole and holy by his love.

Long, long ago he decided to adopt us into his family through Jesus Christ. (What pleasure he took in planning this!)

He wanted us to enter into the celebration of his lavish gift-giving by the hand of his beloved Son." Ephesians 1:4-6

It wasn't a particularly comfortable chair. Wicker, I think, with a thin padding. Like a worn, loose stuffed animal, I sat in that wicker chair and explained how I wanted to adopt a child one day. I wanted to take care of a little one, a neglected one who just needed to be loved. I wanted to hold them and nurture them, and give them security and warmth. I spoke with passion about my desire to adopt.

She said I wanted to adopt myself.

She told me that I was the little girl, sad and wanting for warmth, some affection, and nurture, and that my deep desire to adopt came from a deep lack of feeling adopted, taken in, loved myself. It was a revelation. And it only made me more steadfast to want to birth a child from the heart.

Oh, but adoption is so hard, right? Horror stories abound. "Bad" kids, tough experiences, life upheaval...this is adoption. The kids are just so "messed" up.

I was pretty messed up. I would do things that other little girls don't do, and as I got older, I became "that" teenager. But you know, down beyond the mess was a just a little girl who wanted to be loved...really loved. And deep down, that's what we all want; it's what we all need. Imagine if you were that little girl that was tossed aside, neglected, last on the priority list. Can you feel that for a moment? No bedtime songs, no kisses and hugs, no hot meals on a cold day. Take it further and add some shame, perhaps from abuse, perhaps from not being good enough to be loved. How desperately you want to be loved! Your heart aches for tenderness and belonging. But no one comes, because you do weird things, and you act out, and you don't know how to be good because good didn't get you to far in your short life.

It's obvious: you aren't good enough to be loved.

Oh what a lie from the enemy! And what a lie we have believed that a child must be put-together, seamless enough, in order to be adopted so that we would not be disrupted from our comfortable, already too-tired lives. What a sad, sad view of the Father's love for us.

You see my friend, you and I, we're just a mess...we're uncivilized and we do bad things (at the very least, we think them). We're selfish, and we hurt people. But we try to be good, and we try to be kind; we're all just trying to make it through and do the best we can. It's not enough though, we're still not good enough in the eyes of seamless. So a wild love swoops in and bleeds for us so that we can be adopted as children of God! The Father's heart is adoption; taking a broken heart and making it new.

We have the opportunity to be like our Father when we choose love.

Love adopts the ruffian and loves them besides themselves.

Poverty Lives Right Down the Road

Dec 5 2011

Poverty lives right down the road.  She is my friend. She works without end to care for her family.  She is younger than me, but seems much older.  She has lived far more life than I can imagine.  She smiles and laughs, but in her eyes I  see pain.  At 32 years old, her vision is blurry. She has cataracts.  Through the haze she labors on in hopes of one day earning enough to pay for her surgery.

I add it up.  At the rate she is going it will take her more than 3 years to earn enough for the mere $200 it costs for a life-changing surgery.  I think.  I pray.  $200 is really nothing to me.  By US standards we are poor, 5 children on a meager salary, but over here we are the extremely wealthy.  The uber-rich. But, it is always an interesting dance, giving money.  We want to be careful not to enable others, make them dependent.  In this case, we decide to go ahead.

I gather friends to join me in paying and praying for the surgery, not because I couldn't do it myself, but because there is joy in joining together for a common cause. Joy in community.

The night of the surgery finally arrives.  Even though she does not share our faith, we join together and pray over her.  We tell her of Jesus healing the blind man, and how he can heal soul-blindness.  One friend slips cards with Bible verses into her hands.  She grips the cards as we make our way to the doctor.  We wait.  She is visibly shaking, so we pray.  Her eyes fill with tears as she thanks me for being such a good friend.  My eyes fill with tears thinking of all the pain she has endured in her life, and how she is blind in more ways than one.

Finally at midnight, she emerges with bandages and in pain.  We drive home in darkness and silence.

Over the next few weeks, we shower her with meals and help.  Recovery is slow and painful.

Weeks pass.  One day I hear her at the front door.  She tells me that she can see!!  The bandages are gone, the stitches are out.  Her eye is healed!!

I smile at her through tears.  Tears of joy at the success of the surgery, and tears of hope, that one day she might really see.

By Joy Forney, Grace Full Mama

Holiday Music {And A David Crowder Band Christmas Music Giveaway!}

Both of my children are coming home for Christmas. One will drive half-way across the country from the east coast while the other one flies above from the west coast. And we'll all be together for the holiday.

I was standing at the kitchen sink tonight when I learned they'll both be here and I was instantly transported to a Christmas just a few years back.

That night, I had boiled pasta on the stove while marinara bubbled on the eye nearby. The day was winding down and out on the patio, the snow was piling up. We didn't know it then, but we'd be stranded in the house for the next three days.

That night I'd filled up the sink and squeezed a bit of dish soap in the water and the soap suds had glistened. Behind me, at the kitchen table, my daughter sat with two friends at the kitchen table, and my son sat on a rickety bar stool, strumming his sister's guitar.

My mind had gotten lost in the swirl of flurries just outside the window, and I'd let the water warm my hands under the suds in the sink, and that's when I'd realized my son was figuring out a song that David Crowder sings.

I call David Crowder a poet. My husband likes to say he introduced the family to the David Crowder Band, because he was the first one in our family to hear of him. And ever since my husband introduced us all, David Crowder Band CDs are the only ones our entire family agrees on when we pile in the car for a road trip.

That night in the kitchen, the girls at the table stopped talking and I stood motionless there at the sink when they picked up the tune and I believed I might just cry. I stood and acted like this was normal – not wanting to mess up the moment. I felt my heart fill my chest as my son filled in the empty spaces with rich chords, and the girls broke into harmony. I stood still, and closed my eyes, and let go of the moment as they sang.

This year, the David Crowder Band has a holiday CD. It's called Oh for Joy, and it's exactly what we love about David Crowder – a ton of fun and an immense sense of reverence for this gift from heaven that changed us all. It's been my soundtrack this holiday season. I hit "play" and my foot starts tapping through "Joy To The World" and "The First Noel." And then – every time – the sounds of "Go, Tell It On The Mountain"  make me slow my roll and stop what I'm doing. You'll recognize all of the songs and you'll want to join in. Maybe over a sink full of suds. Maybe as you travel over the river and through the woods. But wherever you listen, it's an invitation to experience Immanuel – God right there with you.

~~~

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Dec 6 2011

Shifting our Perspective Back onto Hope

Sunday night we had guests over for dinner and I didn't clean my house.

There was an internal war inside of me – do I vacuum, dust and clean – or just let it go and focus on the cooking, the table, and the people who are coming?

Would I rather continue on with what had already been a peaceful day – or kick it into high gear, running around trying to make everything look "just right?" I won't even mention what kind of mood that puts the whole family in. Did our guests even care? Or even notice?

To some people, this Christmas season brings stress, dread and worry. I think of Narnia without Aslan – "always winter but never Christmas." We lose our focus as life gets hurried and complicated. We dash around doing things that really don't matter (like cleaning my house before the guests arrive!), and then our perspective shifts. We get so caught up in our present circumstances that we can't see beyond our difficulties.

I had been focusing all day on "hope," as I've been feeling hurts and pains that people around us have been experiencing this season. If we lose our hope – what else is there? Where do we turn?

Some call it optimism, but when I look deep into the Christ-child's eyes, I call it hope. It is enough assurance for me that I can put the dreariness of Christmas aside: money, commercialism, and even too much tradition, or making sure my house looks perfect to keep up an image that I have it all together.

We had such a great time with our guests. At one point I found myself looking down at the un-vacuumed carpet. For a split second I was embarrassed, but then I looked up into the faces of those around our table and my perspective shifted back into place.

It is through my faith, the basis for my hope, that my priorities are put into proper perspective. It's not about the crumbs on the floor, the perfect meal, the latest table setting – it's about the hope that resides in each one of us.

That's enough for me.

If you are entertaining this holiday season, what one thing will you be focusing on before that first knock on the door?

Do You Hoard Blessings?

Confession: sometimes I withhold blessings from others. Maybe I don't pay a compliment that's deserved because part of me is jealous. Maybe I don't bestow an encouraging word to a child whose behavior angers me. Maybe I disagree with my husband and then don't extend an olive branch out of pride.

Everyone loses, even if I'm the only one aware that it's happened.

I recently heard preached, "Your mind is a reflection of your actions. When you do right you will feel right." Feeling right isn't found in the quest for self-esteem, but by esteeming others. "Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves." ~Philippians 2:3

We hold the power each and every day to bestow blessings. It doesn't require money in our bank account or fancy credentials. Look your child in the eye and give your undivided attention; drop a note in the mail to the friend who weighs on your heart; text your husband just to tell him he's loved.

Stop and listen to a friend who needs your ear, even if you don't know what to say.

Knowing that God sacrificed his only son for us and Jesus laid down his life to save ours, how can we justify withholding blessings within our power to bestow?

When you're feeling the weight of the lists

Steam rises from loaves of holiday bread cooling on the counter. The snow keeps coming down.

Checking off the to-do lists in late afternoon: lay out dishtowels to wrap the loaves up in, tie with sprig of cedar, a bow of raffia — gifts for the neighbors, the mailman, the farm vet.

Hard to wait for them to cool. Hard to wait. Hard, with all the lists and to-dos, to still at all in the spin of the season.

This, the season of waiting wonder: God gestates.

For nine long months, The Maker of everything hovered over the waters of the womb, divided His own cells and pulled on skin. God waited to make His entrance. Mary gently rubs her swelling abdomen. She waits. She prays. She stretches.

God stirs within. He moves her.

Is that how to truly enter into Christmas? Christmas comes like Christ: in the resting wait of gestation.

Like a mother longing for the holding of the Child:

1. We count the days.

Each day, opening the advent calendar square, reading the verse, each day turning over the next page in the tabletop devotional. We count and anticipate and wonder what this all means.

2. We think of His names

His names on the candlesticks, His name on the turntable, His name on the advent calendar, His names on the mantle: Messiah, Redeemer, Mighty God, Savior – Bread of Life. We wait for what will come from above and unexpectedly, right into our mire.

3. We prepare gifts for the Child.

We light candles and make a space in our hearts. We send cards of celebration to friends far and near, reaching out with His love. We invite a friend in for a cup of something warm and give her the gift of a listening ear. We give to the least of these and this is the gift to Christ Himself.

These gestational waiting days of anticipating the Christ Child, they gloriously stretch us.  Yet– whenever Christmas begins to burden, it's a sign that I've taken on something of the world and not of Christ. Any weight in Christmas has to be of this world. Christ came into this world as grace to lift all the weighty burdens.

Christ the Babe comes to us in Christmas as Christ the Savior comes to us on the Cross — seeking only our embrace.

I look over my list on the counter. What if I laid down efforts and expectations, perfectionism and performance? What if I breathed deep and simply waited with arms and heart and eyes wide open? What if Christmas was the season to let go of to-do lists adding up — to receive what's coming down? Love comes down.

Christmas, it isn't a product to wrap but a Person to unwrap. What can keep me today from simply receiving Him? Love comes down.

Christmas, it can't be bought. It cannot be created. It cannot be made by hand. Christmas can only be found. Where am I looking for Christ in the unexpected today? Love comes down.

In the stillness, we feel it — His movements. In the stillness, our hearts leap — His coming! In the stillness, we know it– what falls down upon us — breath of heaven.

Love comes down.

The steam of the bread it rises and I stand at the window watching it all come down, white and perfect and weightless.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk