Davis/Brewer Executions

Started by kshillbillys, October 01, 2011, 11:26:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kshillbillys

Sent to death row 20 years ago as a convicted cop killer, Troy Davis was celebrated as "martyr and foot soldier" Saturday by more than 1,000 people who packed the pews at his funeral and pledged to keep fighting the death penalty.

Family, activists and supporters who spent years trying to persuade judges and Georgia prison officials that Davis was innocent were unable to prevent his execution Sept. 21. But the crowd that filled Savannah's Jonesville Baptist Church on Saturday seemed less interested in pausing in remorse than showing a resolve to capitalize on the worldwide attention Davis' case brought to capital punishment in the U.S.

http://news.yahoo.com/troy-davis-mourned-martyr-1-000-ga-200346278.html

Texas death row inmate Lawrence Russell Brewer, 44, was executed by lethal execution at 7:21 p.m. ET Wednesday, the Texas Department of Criminal Justice said.

Brewer was one of three men found guilty for his involvement in the dragging death of James Byrd 13 years ago.

Brewer and two other white men kidnapped the 49-year-old black man on the night of June 7, 1998. They chained him by the ankles to the back of a pickup truck and dragged him for 3 ½ miles down a country road near Jasper, Texas. Byrd died when he was decapitated after he hit a culvert.

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/21/texas-death-row-inmate-executed/

Ok...What I want to know is if these people in Georgia (and all over the world according to the story) are so outraged by the death penalty, how come NO one is being pissy about Brewer getting lethal injection the same night? I'm tired of reading about it. Cop killers deserve to die. I think every state should be like Ron White's Texas: "I'm from Texas. In Texas we have the death penalty and we USE IT! That's right... if you come to Texas and kill somebody, we kill you back. That's our policy.
They're trying to push a bill right now in the Texas legislature that'll speed up the process of execution in heinous crimes where there are more than three credible eye witnesses. If more than three people saw you do what you did, you don't sit on death row for fifteen years, you go straight to the front of the line.
Other states are trying to abolish the death penalty. My state is putting in an express lane." Why does this country coddle their murderers? Let's quit paying their way for decades and kill them a week after they are put on death row. Saves time and money and may even serve as a deterrent!!
---Jennifer
ROBERT AND JENNIFER WALKER

YOU CALL US HILLBILLYS LIKE THAT'S A BAD THING! WE ARE SO FLATTERED!

THAT'S MS. HILLBILLY TO YOU!

kshillbillys

A little more about Davis' case:

Troy Anthony Davis (October 9, 1968 – September 21, 2011)[1][2] was an American man convicted of and executed for the August 19, 1989, murder of police officer Mark MacPhail in Savannah, Georgia. MacPhail was working as a security guard at a Burger King restaurant when he intervened to defend a man being assaulted in a nearby parking lot. During Davis's 1991 trial, seven witnesses testified they had seen Davis shoot MacPhail, and two others testified that Davis had confessed the murder to them among 34 witnesses that testified for the prosecution, and six others for the defense, including Davis. Although the murder weapon was not recovered, ballistic evidence presented at trial linked bullets recovered at or near the scene to those at another shooting in which Davis was also charged. He was convicted of murder and various lesser charges, including the earlier shooting, and was sentenced to death in August 1991.

Anmar

I haven't followed either case, I'm a supporter of the death penalty.  From what I've heard, Davis was innocent.  Many of the witnesses that testified against him in the original trial came forward and said their testimony was coerced.  I'd say thats a major difference
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

srkruzich

Quote from: Anmar on October 02, 2011, 01:18:29 AM
I haven't followed either case, I'm a supporter of the death penalty.  From what I've heard, Davis was innocent.  Many of the witnesses that testified against him in the original trial came forward and said their testimony was coerced.  I'd say thats a major difference
WEll if their changing their story now,that means the perjured themselves.  So you will take a liars testimony and make a decsion based on a lie?  Which is the lie?  He did it or he didn't do it!?
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

KsH  I must disagree with you on the cop killer comment.  I don't think cop killers should get special treatment with death penalty anymore than killing anyone else!  Just because they are a cop does not bestow some special privelege.

IF you kill someone with malice and premeditation, i think you should get the chair/needle/gallows/bullet

I also think that you should never be charged with a crime or aquitted if you are if you shoot a cop that is breaking the law!  They get no quarter no special priveledge to get free passes for violation of laws either.

kshillbillys

I don't think any murderer should get special treatment depending on who they kill. I believe ALL murderers should die.

srkruzich

Quote from: kshillbillys on October 02, 2011, 08:05:54 AM
I don't think any murderer should get special treatment depending on who they kill. I believe ALL murderers should die.

Then your going to have to redefine all murder charges.  Its just simpler to define it as premediated murder with malice for death penalty.  THey classify accidental killings as murder too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk