You wanna fix things???????????

Started by thatsMRSc2u, August 24, 2011, 01:07:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

MT, I wouldn't expect you do know this, but not wearing a seat belt CAN harm others. Just think what happens when unrestrained objects in a vehicle are tossed around during an accident. We have had many, many cases where heads and faces thunked together in unrestrained front and back seat passengers and created severe injuries. I won't overstate this but wearing seat belts is one of the most important things you can do to save yourself, your companions and the agony of your family. I've seen it all.
   Actually, we have had to look for tossed bodies, but usually from motorcycle accidents. People thrown out of cars are usually close by or crushed under the car. Want more?  Ever ride "The Convincer?" Restrained drivers are also better drivers, but that's another story.

mtcookson

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 26, 2011, 01:17:28 PM
MT, I wouldn't expect you do know this, but not wearing a seat belt CAN harm others. Just think what happens when unrestrained objects in a vehicle are tossed around during an accident. We have had many, many cases where heads and faces thunked together in unrestrained front and back seat passengers and created severe injuries.

Now that does makes sense. I highly doubt that's the reason the laws were created though (money probably being the main reason really). As you mentioned, objects could cause equally as harmful injuries yet they don't have any laws saying no loose objects are allowed in the car. Imagine how many tickets they could hand out then. :o

That does remind me of this video that went around a while back though:

Regardless, I don't actually condone driving without a seat belt. In the majority of cases they will save your life. I always wear mine when leaving town. I just don't believe the state(s) should force people to wear their seat belts.

Diane Amberg

Yes, unrestrained objects do cause injuries in car accidents and that fact is included in Defensive Driving classes. Things should be secured with belts and nets whenever possible.
I can't imagine a law would ever pass demanding it though because car design and the crumple zones etc. help so much now as it is. I've helped people in accidents that lived now that absolutely would not have survived back in the 60's.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk