Latest news on the VA earthquake

Started by farmgal67357, August 24, 2011, 12:52:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmgal67357

Seems the epicenter was just outside DC in the graveyard where many of the Founding Fathers are buried.
Seems they all turned over in their graves at the same time........

Lisa ;D
Lisa

Judy Harder

Good one Lisa..............Think the pioneers did the same in Colorado!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Wilma

Diane Amberg

Lisa, since the quake was all along the east coast from Georgia north you are absolutely correct! ;D ;D ;D They say we've had several after shocks but I haven't felt anything. Today's paper says several local churches had steeple damage and there was a water main break but I still haven't seen any problems here. Irene is still on the way. Have a beautiful day all. :-*

larryJ

Diane, I think I was wrong.............

Another East versus West contrast: The ground is different in the East in a way that makes the shaking travel much further, allowing people to feel the quake several states and hundreds of miles away.

The rocks in the Earth's crust in the East are colder, older and harder, which means seismic waves travel more efficiently and over greater distances. Rocks on the West Coast are relatively young and broken up by faults.

"An intact bell rings more loudly than a cracked bell and that's essentially what the crust is on the East Coast," USGS seismologist Lucy Jones told a news conference in Pasadena, Calif.

In the East, hurricanes are the worry far more than quakes. Former FEMA chief Witt said people on the West Coast know what to do in an earthquake: drop to the floor, cover their heads and hold on to something sturdy until the shaking stops.

That's what USGS's Applegate did in Virginia.

"It's seared in our heads," said USGS seismologist Susan Hough in Pasadena. "People back East don't get that kind of preparedness message."

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

Diane Amberg

Thanks Larry for the additional information. I just came back from the store and it was funny.The people in the water aisle were all talking abut Irene and most of us who just picked up some extra bread and non perishables were talking about the earthquake.
  I see the city has put up all the evacuation route signs.
I've got my big "storm pitchers" out and will fill them if necessary, plus several gallon jugs and of course the tub for flush water if needed and 40 gallons in the hot water tank. I'm more concerned about long term electricity loss with my big freezer in the basement, but I'll freeze all my cold paks and stuff them in there to fill spaces as this thing decides what it will do. If needed I can get a big chest of ice at the firehouse, it's generator equipped. They are starting to assign stand by crews but I doubt we'll have an assignment other than perhaps be call takers or help cook.  If need be our Station 7 has a reenforced concrete addition we can all bunk down in if our houses come apart. 
Ok, back to the earthquake. Middle Delaware got almost nothing. We got a real jolt but little damage and northern Delaware got a good hit and some damage also.
  DEMA  set up in their bunker in Dover and is just going to stay

Anmar

In the last 12 hours, we've had 3 earthquakes within 10 miles of where i live.  That might mean we're getting a big one soon.
"The chief source of problems is solutions"

Warph

Quote from: Diane Amberg on August 24, 2011, 10:41:19 AM
Ok, back to the earthquake. Middle Delaware got almost nothing. We got a real jolt but little damage and northern Delaware got a good hit and some damage also.

Diane.... the reason there was no damage is everyone knows there is NO middle Delaware.  I hate to tell you this but, the area you call Delaware is really southern New Jersey tho' some people claim it is eastern Maryland.  The northern tip really belongs to Pennsylvania.  Time to get over it... there is no Delaware... it is something that Joe Biden made up.  Hell, everyone knows that.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Diane Amberg

I answered that on the other thread. :angel:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk