The City of Howard, Shame!!!

Started by David, August 22, 2011, 04:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janet Harrington

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 28, 2011, 04:34:15 PM
that person would be the person to cite the tall grass, the junk cars, etc.....then apply that bill to your property tax if you don't comply.

We have one in our county, I am sure you have one in yours.
I am just surprised that Elk County has a shirt to state their position.  (ours are usually a  policeman)

ready

To my knowledge, ready, Elk County does not have a code enforcement officer. The city of Howard does. I do not know who this person is. I think the city of Howard did this to have someone work on unslightly properties. However; I am not sure if the letter from the city to the disabled lady was from the code enforcement officer. I kind of thought it was from the city.

I can remember a time when the city of Longton had someone try to enforce a grass ordinance about how tall your grass could get before they would force you to mow it. This person who did this actually took a ruler and measured how tall the grass was in your yard and if it was too tall, you got a letter.

Anyway, I kind of wish we knew who the letter was from...the city or the code enforcement officer. Since my husband is a mowing fool, I don't have to deal with those kinds of problems.

srkruzich

if i caught someone in my yard with a ruler, i would toss him on his head.  First of all, he has NO RIGHT to enter your property without a warrant!  And measuring your grass constitutes illegal entry to your property. Not to mention the 4th amendment violation of search and siezure without a warrant.   

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Janet Harrington

Steve, you have no idea what an uproar this caused in Longton. i wish I could remember how many years it ago it was, but I can't. I just remember it happening. LOL

doobie

Janet- I remember a few years back when Mom had eye operations and was down, Jim came over and mowed her yard twice, no charge no grumbling.  But,  no compliance officer was involved. And, no yardsticks were harmed in this random act of kindness!!!
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

jarhead

It wasn't too many years ago the person appointed by the city ( Longton ) to drive around and look at yards but he took it one step further and started measuring the weeds. He just took his job too serious and did piss people off, but I don't think he meant no harm. I heard one little old grizzled WW II vet tell the "weed man " that if he caught him in his yard he would take his head off with a baseball bat. Don't think his grass ever got measured. :)
Longton still sends out letters if a yard gets too over-grown and if not cut the city does it then "tries" to collect a fee. The city is pretty lenient but if neighbors get to bitching too much---------------

srkruzich

Quote from: jarhead on August 28, 2011, 09:52:54 PM
It wasn't too many years ago the person appointed by the city ( Longton ) to drive around and look at yards but he took it one step further and started measuring the weeds. He just took his job too serious and did piss people off, but I don't think he meant no harm. I heard one little old grizzled WW II vet tell the "weed man " that if he caught him in his yard he would take his head off with a baseball bat. Don't think his grass ever got measured. :)
Longton still sends out letters if a yard gets too over-grown and if not cut the city does it then "tries" to collect a fee. The city is pretty lenient but if neighbors get to bitching too much---------------

I let some of my weeds grow in my yard like goldenrod or asters. Thats food for my bees.  IF it flowers i let it grow usually.  The johnson grass though got a foothold and its been rough trying to get rid of it. I'm gettin there though. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Janet Harrington

Quote from: jarhead on August 28, 2011, 09:52:54 PM

It's good to know that I'm not losing my mind. LOL

readyaimduck

QuotePosted on: Yesterday at 09:52:04 pmPosted by: Janet Harrington 
Insert Quote
Quote from: readyaimduck on Yesterday at 05:34:15 pm
that person would be the person to cite the tall grass, the junk cars, etc.....then apply that bill to your property tax if you don't comply.

We have one in our county, I am sure you have one in yours.
I am just surprised that Elk County has a shirt to state their position.  (ours are usually a  policeman)

ready

To my knowledge, ready, Elk County does

If they work for the county, they should have a badge that allows them on the property with the statuate stating so...as in the appraiser...and if you gruff, they should turn away and go back to the office.
If they don't have that statuate on their badge, then ask them to leave.
Please don't shoot them Steve, it really sends a different tactical message.   lol

readyaimduck

Now if they work for the CITY ...then we need to find the proper City/State ordinances for that.
There has got be a statute, if not a policy for that.  (Giving anyone the right to measure height of grass on personal property.

Janet?

Dee Gee

Didn't Dennis Rader measure the grass in Park City?
Learn from the mistakes of others You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk