The City of Howard, Shame!!!

Started by David, August 22, 2011, 04:59:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

A city threat against a lawn to long!!!  There is a lady in Howard that suffers from Multiple sclerosis!   The city says cut your grass or we will cut it and charge you 75.00 to do it!  She is just about wheelchair bound and they know it!!!   I cut her grass even though I am sick and have to many things to do!  I guess my question is;  What ever happened to compassion, what ever happened to neighbors!  This city is only interested in its self!  Mr Mayor I feel for you, if this is how you run a city, then I feel for your family!
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

David

I would like very much to see us join hands as a community!  Why cant we reach up for help and reach down for those who need us!
Dependence begets subservience and venality, suffocates the germ of virtue, and prepares fit tools for the designs of ambition.

warsey

When I lived in Howard I used to mow my nieghbors lawn when I mowed
mine. It wasnt that big a deal.She was 86yrs old at the time.I was just
thankful for her friendship.

srkruzich

This is the Elk Connected bunch.  You know community togetherness! 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

I got to thinking about it, if the city is threatening to come onto her property and cut her grass then they had better get a warrant to do so. That is a MASSIVE violation of the constitution.   I think i would be out there in a heartbeat throwing someone off my property.
They can't charge ya if they don't preform the service!  
Secondly anyone working on my place without my consent does so at their own expense.  Thats a law!  Same law that prevents a mechanic from replacing parts on your car that you did not authorize!

warsey

It`s too bad, that used to be part of the small town charm.The ability
of the people to help each other.Fixed a nieghbors computer for them
and they asked me how much they owed me.I just asked them if
they ever heard of bartering.Works out fine for both of us.Even did
some work for an apple pie.Was well worth it too me.

srkruzich

Quote from: warsey on August 22, 2011, 10:40:03 AM
It`s too bad, that used to be part of the small town charm.The ability
of the people to help each other.Fixed a nieghbors computer for them
and they asked me how much they owed me.I just asked them if
they ever heard of bartering.Works out fine for both of us.Even did
some work for an apple pie.Was well worth it too me.

Sad to say the majority of people today don't even bother with it.  I have had problems with cutting my grass before and did i get anyone offering help?  Nope, i got a hell of a lot of complaints but no offers to help. 

Diane Amberg

No Civic Association there to help? No "less than able bodied" person here (my neighborhood) would ever have to worry about that. We just let them know when someone needs help and poof, it happens. You are such a small town I don't know why you would have such problems. That's a shame.

Humpy

Then again there is push for city consolidation. Is this what those of us who live in and around Longton want?  NOT                They have already forced out the Moline school. Frankly I don't want Howard or any body Konnected with them telling me dog squat. Especially when to mow the yard .

warsey

I`m glad I moved to Moline.There are people here that still
help out.I have to thank Mark and Lisa Townsley.Mark lent
me his trailor so I could get rid of tree limbs and clean my
yard up and would not accept any payment and Lisa helped
me when I had trouble with my water line when it broke.
My hats off to both of them.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk