The Biggest Challenge?

Started by Wilma, August 19, 2011, 08:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wilma

I was watching baseball last night and my eye was caught by how small around the bat is compared to the ball.  That raised a question in my mind.  In sports, what is the biggest challenge?  Throwing a touchdown, sinking a three-pointer or hitting a home run?  Or something else?  Never having been able to throw a decent pass, never even trying to sink a three-pointer, I can't say.  I have been pretty good at hitting home runs but not where it counts. 

So you guys that have done these things, what do you think?  And you ladies who have or have not, do you have an opinion?

patriotdad

By far the hardest thing to do in sports is hit a baseball.  To hit a ball that is coming @ you @ 90+ MPH with movement.  Even the biggest stars in baseball fail 7 out of 10 times. 

flintauqua

If we're focusing on the sports that have major professional levels to them, I would say that kicking a goal in soccer or making a goal in hockey may be harder since they are usually more rare.  A hole in one in golf is also a very large challenge.

Then there are all the Olympic-type sports that have very challenging scoring components, but most do not involve the use of a ball.

Charles
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Wilma

This led me to think about the Olympic sports that I would fail at and right at the top of the list is high diving.  I would fail before I even set foot on the ladder to go up to the platform.

Diane Amberg

I think I'd choose tennis for an individual sport and soccer for a team one. They both take skill and endurance, lots of moving, and having to plan for your own move as well as anticipate and react to the opponent.

jarhead

Wilma, You should have seen my record breaking dive back when I was a pup---up on my toes on the end of the diving board---hands reaching for the sky---launched myself off the board---did a triple twist---double back flip--an over-hand toe hold( Maybe that was a wrestling move but I incorporated it into my dive)--and ended with a smooth swan dive---------------------------and ALL that from a two foot high diving board after ol Sarge goosed me !!
PS: Wilma as I need to keep my reputation as being Honest Ron the dive ended with a belly buster--not a swan dive :angel:

doobie

Hey Honest--was that with or without the legendary suspenders????
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

mtcookson

Quote from: flintauqua on August 19, 2011, 09:35:56 AMI would say that kicking a goal in soccer

Was thinking the same thing. Watched a little bit of soccer before and it seemed to take forever for them to get a goal, though mentioning the hole in one in golf that probably would be even more difficult.

jarhead

Be a pretty challenging thing to drag Doobie into a boxing ring to face a Mike Tyson. :)
Riding a bull like Bodacious would be quite a challenge too.

Janet Harrington

The biggest challenge I have in sports is this...is it going to hold my attention long enough or am I going to get bored and wish I had a book? LOL

I prefer watching basketball, high school is my favorite. I have a feeling, though, that I will be seeing alot of junior high volleyball and junior high girls basketball this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk