Trash Barrels

Started by W. Gray, August 18, 2011, 09:27:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: larryJ on August 19, 2011, 11:28:48 AM
As disgusting as this is going to sound...............the mamasans in Korea did the same task, except it wasn't burned.  They hauled it in wagons on the backs of bicycles.  We referred to them as "honey wagons" and when passing one on the road, put the pedal to the metal to get past the stench.  The contents of those honey wagons were used to fertilize the fields, mostly the lettuce that they used to make kimchi.  It was basically the cheapest and easiest fertilizer around. 

Larryj

My uncle wouldn't eat rice til just recently because of that reason. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Hefe de vaca

Don't know how this went from trash to latrines , but , many memories both ways.

readyaimduck

QuoteDon't know how this went from trash to latrines

well, one is from the waste, and other is from the waist.  :D
ready

readyaimduck

We use to have burn barrels, and I miss them as now there are burn bans.
we got ours from oul drums and a shotgun will supply the holes for the circulation.
Tes, they do rust out from time to time.   
It sure saved on the landfills at that time!
ready

srkruzich

Quote from: readyaimduck on August 19, 2011, 06:30:05 PM
We use to have burn barrels, and I miss them as now there are burn bans.
we got ours from oul drums and a shotgun will supply the holes for the circulation.
Tes, they do rust out from time to time.   
It sure saved on the landfills at that time!
ready
why does that have an effect?  Put a grate on top and its safe to use.   Never stopped me from burning in one thats the purpose of the barrel to contain the fire.
I remember one year when Georgia enacted a burn ban but they allowed campfire.  I had to burn a lot of wood so i just loaded up the wood and put rock around it, and sent the kiddos out with marshmallows!   

Diane Amberg

We had a grate to use when burning and a lid Daddy made  for the rest of the time.The barrel would last for many, many years. When PA. went to recycling they would put out the recyclables and burn what little was left.  Even when they stopped allowing open burning we'd just call and get permission for agricultural burning and it was no problem to burn the orchard pruning and what was left from the big veggie garden.

Janet Harrington

Quote from: jarhead on August 18, 2011, 07:34:52 PM
The hill was hill 1103, also known as FSB Nevilles. High enough we were socked in by clouds half the time

Jarhead, this hill you are talking about? Was it higher then any hill in Elk County?

jarhead

Janet,
Sorry I missed your question. I don't know if it is any higher but it damn sure was steeper than anything I know of around here and I think alot higher . I think when a hill had the designation of like 1103 it meant it was 1103 meters above sea level. Waldo can probably answer your question better than I can. all I know is we left hill 477 (LZ Catapult) that was almost on the DMZ and for two grueling days of humping we were with-in a stones throw of reaching the top of 1103 when we got word that a recon unit named American Beauty was getting their asses kicked in the DMZ (google that for an interesting account and Jimmie Stewarts step son was KIA) Less than a platoon of my company, me included, turned around and made a mad dash back to LZ Catapult. What took two days to climb took five hours to go back and it was a cluster #%$* !!! At my reunions we just refer to it as 'the Run" :D

srkruzich

Dang jarhead 3309 feet is no hill its a small mountain!  Brasstown bald is almost 4500 feet in ga and is considered the highest point in georgia.  Takes 2 1/2 hours to climb it

Quote from: jarhead on August 26, 2011, 11:51:24 AM
Janet,
Sorry I missed your question. I don't know if it is any higher but it damn sure was steeper than anything I know of around here and I think alot higher . I think when a hill had the designation of like 1103 it meant it was 1103 meters above sea level. Waldo can probably answer your question better than I can. all I know is we left hill 477 (LZ Catapult) that was almost on the DMZ and for two grueling days of humping we were with-in a stones throw of reaching the top of 1103 when we got word that a recon unit named American Beauty was getting their asses kicked in the DMZ (google that for an interesting account and Jimmie Stewarts step son was KIA) Less than a platoon of my company, me included, turned around and made a mad dash back to LZ Catapult. What took two days to climb took five hours to go back and it was a cluster #%$* !!! At my reunions we just refer to it as 'the Run" :D

jarhead

Quote from Steve
Dang jarhead 3309 feet is no hill its a small mountain!  Brasstown bald is almost 4500 feet in ga and is considered the highest point in georgia.  Takes 2 1/2 hours to climb it

Yea Steve, was that with 75-100 lbs of gear you're carrying PLUS hacking part of the way with a machete thru vines and crap PLUS walking most of it on a ridge that was like walking on a knife blade AND not to forget the 2-3 walking wounded
and one WIA being carried because them sneaky little sum bitches decide to lob a few mortar rounds down on us the 1st day of the hump. Kinda changes things don't it? :D
Hell if  it had just been  me I would have dumped all my gear and RAN up that SOB in 2 hours just so I could hide in a bunker !!  8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk