Where were you when Elvis died?

Started by Warph, August 16, 2011, 10:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

Me?  I was in Brussel, Belgium with a french contingent.  The frogs played his music around the clock when we heard the news.
We didn't get much sleep that night.  The next day was all about Elvis.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

larryJ

We had just moved into our new house.  A neighbor from where we used to live was an ardent Elvis fan, had all his records, traveled to Vegas to see the concerts, etc.  I heard the news and called her on the phone to let her know.  She answered and all I heard was sobbing and crying and moaning on the other end.  Later, she said she considered suicide as she wanted to be with the King.  She and her family moved to Tennessee not long after that.  I haven't heard from her since, but I bet she makes weekly visits to Graceland.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

jarhead

Considering the time frame I was probably either under the influence of John Barley-corn or fishing------ and quite possible I was fishing but getting "self medicated " at the same time. :angel:
Had a friend at the time that was a trash-man in Bartlesville. With-in days of Elvis dying there was a stack of Elvis albums on top of someone's trash. Some had never been opened. It was like the fan was so PO'ed that Elvis died  they wanted to get rid of all their memories of him

larryJ

Thank you, thank you very much.   ;D

Larryj

doobie

I was at a drafting table at my buddy Clark"s graphics company in Wichita.  I was laid off from Boring Aircraft at the time.  We had a secretary (graduated in "60 I believe) who I thought we were going have to haul to E.R. Sent her home for the day.  I was o.k. though, I was listening to the White Album!!
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

Warph

Looks like most people on this forum haven't heard of Elvis.  Lets see now... could it be they were too young to know where they were and still sucking on momma's booby.... or too old and forgot where they were because of a  loss of brain function that occurs from time to time.... or they didn't like his music and really didn't care where they were?  Hmmmmm....?
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Jane

I was in grade school and I never really like ole Elvis. I think it was the grease in his hair.   ;D

Hefe de vaca

Come on Warph-miester, some of us may be further into the Moody Blues era. Elvis was great , but with all the stuff they were spewing about him when he died, it just ruined his image at the time. From everything I saw of him, he was a good soul, God rest. :'(

OH LOOK! There's ELVIS!! ;)

larryJ

Ladies and Gentlemen, Elvis has left the building.

Larryj

sodbuster

At my high school job in the Gun Shop, by myself listening to the radio. I remember it vividly. The only other "where were you when" date I can remember is 9\11 Twin towers. I was getting ready to go to a job interview, had a lot on my mind. No one mentioned the event in the interview. After we concluded the interview we all burst out yakking about the elephant in the room.  I remember other events vividly just not where I was at the time.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk