An interesting "tidbit!"

Started by Bonnie M., August 17, 2011, 10:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonnie M.

On another subject, it was recently mentioned the number of counties in Kansas.  I got to thinking about how car tags used to have the numbers on them, according to the population of the counties.  I would have copied and pasted the entire article I found, but it's too long.  So, just to "remember back," for those of you who remember those days, you might click on the web-site, and see how the Kansas Car tags "evolved."

www.carnut.com/photo/tags/tagsp1.html
Bonnie

W. Gray

Back when a new tag was issued every year, I seem to recall some folks trying to be first in line at the courthouse on January 2 to get the lowest number possible on their tag, such as "EK 10."

The county officials probably got the lowest numbers.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

frawin

I remember when Elk County was #68, Greenwood was #32, Sedgewick was #2, Wyandotte or Johnson was #1 (it was one in the Kansas City area.  I believe it was done by population at that time.  Later then, they started using EK, GW, SG, etc.

Myrna

patyrn

In South Dakota, they still have tag numbers assigned to counties according to population.  It makes it easy to recognize if you're from the "big" towns or the little bitty ones.

Wilma

The number designation was decided by the population of the county.  We lived in Sedgwick County and always had a no. 2 and that was the explantion my father gave me when I asked about it.  I like the EK designation.  Sometimes it sends us to the road map to find which county it is from.  And I kind of like using the same tag every year.  The tag I have now, I have had maybe ten years.  When I moved over here, Deanna just gave me an EK sticker to put over my SG.  That tag has been on 3 cars now.

Janet Harrington

doobie

I remember in the 60's when my grandparents in Howard always got #63 it was their post office box number.
CAUTION: if instrument is shaken sufficiently to cause arm to swing violently, damage may occur!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk