Our brand spankin' new roads... err, gravel roads that is

Started by mtcookson, August 11, 2011, 12:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtcookson

Yeah, from what I've seen online the chip and seal roads look quite nice and I would personally be very happy with them. What we have here though... ugh. I'll have to takes some pictures once the weather clears (though I would prefer it doesn't clear for a while, this rain and temp drop is quite nice).

Continuing from Gina's post here's what ODOT says is the process they use:

QuoteHow Are Chip Seals Placed?

First, the road surface needs to be properly cleaned of debris and any holes patched.  Next, an asphalt distributor truck starts by spraying each lane with hot liquid asphalt to assure an even application.  The asphalt used is applied at a temperature between 150 and 185 degrees Fahrenheit.  A chip spreader follows as rapidly as possible with a rock application, preferably within one minute.  The asphalt must be fluid so the rock will be embedded by the displacement of the asphalt.  The rocks are an aggregate crushed to a special specification for size and cleanliness.  Next, a rubber-tire roller is used to set the rock into the liquid asphalt.  Rolling orients the flat sides of the rock down and produces a tighter chip seal.  It takes two to four passes of the roller to set the rock.  Sweeping is done at the completion of the chip seal process to remove surplus rock from the surface.  This loose rock can grind and loosen rock set in the chip seal and damage the project.  Sweeping is done within 4 hours of the rolling operation, and typically again a day or two later.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk