Future of Wind power

Started by srkruzich, July 31, 2011, 09:44:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

I have never been a advocate of wind or solar energy due to the fact its unreliable, but i still will dabble in stocks of these companies primarily because they are usually affordable penny stocks.  Most of the time you can play the penny stocks for a while and double your money, sometimes triple or in several cases i've managed to turn a 100 dollar investment into 10,000 dollar investment.

One such Alternative energy package that looked promising was AWNE who showed solid financials when i invested. 

I Played the stock and invested 45.00 3 or 4 years ago.  Well that 45.00 is now worth 2.95 cents.  AWNE is on the verge of going under and is abandoning the wind generation as a viable technology to produce our future electric needs.

Now if Wind is such a viable alternative, how come even with all the government welfare 33 companies have gone belly up trying to bring it to fruition!?   

On the same note,
An investment into American oil and Gas 4 years ago at 4.00 per share produced 11.70 a share when at that time Hess Oil Bought the company and converted the stock into HESS stock.  The HESS stock was offered at 34.00 per share in the conversion ratio and now is worth 68.54 a share and has been as high as 85.00 a share until the Nitwits up in washington couldn't pull their heads out of their ass's  and caused the market to wig out.   
BUT unlike the US Governments credit rating, HESS has been rated at a strong buy by Standard and Poors. 

Seems to me we are wasting a ton of money in taxpayer funds pushing this Alt energy agenda.  Why? 

My point is this.  I dabble in the alt stocks to make money, not to promote clean this or eco that.  Do i lose sometimes. YOU bet!  But i win more than I lose!   Thats because I don't keep feeding the pig after its done leaned out.  Anything else going into it is fat production.   INstead of wasting money on producing fat, lets let the market determine the product.   It is obvious that Alternative energy solutions are not viable because of the cost.  IF it were viable the industry out there would have done it by now and we wouldn't be sinking more tax dollars into keeping it afloat.  At some point you have to take the dead patient off life support!
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

I assume you had a stop loss on that stock?

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 31, 2011, 10:08:33 AM
I assume you had a stop loss on that stock?

Actually no. I generally don't.  What i normally do is if i buy it and it goes down like that, and their financials look good i'll just wait for it to hit the lowest and start to climb then buy a lot more than that. A few years ago, i bought into a stock that was .10 a share.  Got 1000 shares and sat on it. It climbed up to 70 a share and then dropped overnight almost to .06 a share.  I waited and it hit .04 a share then i bought 10,000 shares of stock at that price.  Sat on it and it went up to 18.75 a share in 2 years.  i Sold out on that stock and stuck it in something else.  Thats unusual.  But when i buy penny stocks, i don't worry about stop loss. Now when that stock went to 18.75 a share, when it originally hit 8.00 a share, i set stop loss on it constantly as it increased.  I was in it for the ride to the top.  Once it got above 8 a share, it was profit only mode and i set the stop loss at 7 a share, when it went to 10 a share i went to 9 a share.  And on and on until when it hit 18.75 i said enough and just dumped it.    Honestly i should have kept 1000 shares.  It is now at 32.00 a share and stable solid stock. but hey i made my money and was happy.  IF only i had a crystal ball!

srkruzich

btw selling that 10000 shares i didn't get nailed for the 39% capital gains tax that was current at that time nor did i get nailed for the 15% state tax or any other taxes.  I sold 1/2 the week before jan 1 and the other half after jan 1.  Saved me a fortune in taxes! that is one reason i don't set stop loss's.  I usually don't have enough in a penny stock to warrant a stop loss sale. BUT i can write off the entire stock in taxes if i let it go to zero.  The method i usually use is pick 10 or 20 stocks.  Then buy into each one. You end up making money that way.

One of the best stocks to invest in is the QQQQ.  That sucker preforms in every economy.

readyaimduck

Quotelets let the market determine the product

I think you nailed it on that statement.
Monies are being poured on to 'green'enviornment projects, which sound econmically grand, which most farmers have been doing it for years and aren't making any money at it, however they are happy.

The normal, and I use that term questionably are wanting to drive somewhere, fly somewhere, etc. 

(The general population is all about 'me'.  I have no statistics for this, it is just an observation.)

In recap:  oil wins out over wind.  There is more of oil, albeit depleting with usage or the 'bootleggers' of oil will sell over wind
that only a few states that can capture that natural resource.

I love penny ante poker.  Good luck with your theories. 
ready, counting pennies

Diane Amberg

I still think areas that have the resources should use what they have available. Some solar, some wind, some water turbines, etc. We have the option here of tidal turbines. Gas, coal and oil where it can be gotten safely should still be used.Trash to steam, thermal turbines etc. It doesn't have to be just one answer.

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 31, 2011, 01:17:38 PM
I still think areas that have the resources should use what they have available. Some solar, some wind, some water turbines, etc. We have the option here of tidal turbines. Gas, coal and oil where it can be gotten safely should still be used.Trash to steam, thermal turbines etc. It doesn't have to be just one answer.
Well at one time i thought tidal turbines were a good idea. But essentially they are a epic fail.  They are white elephants as far as cost to production ratio.  Wind turbines and solar are the same.  The ONLY alternative energy source that i have seen be cost effective and has dropped the price  of energy is nuclear as it doesn't require massive amounts of fuel to produce electricity.  It also can be recycled and turned back into fuel when the rods are spent.  That is the direction we should go.  The next energy source is coal. We have centuries of that untapped then oil.  In fact you can turn coal into fuel for vehicles. Thats how versatile it is.

As far as retrieved safely?  Nothing is technically safe. There are risks to every venture.   I say utilize the most cost effective resources and if the market bears it then venture into the alt market only if it is done so through private enterprise.  You want real savings on energy?  Try building a geothermal system for your home.  IF i were to build a new home right now, i would look for property that had a cave system on it. Then i would tap, drill, boar, excavate into that system. Build my home into that hillside where 3 sides of the lower level are covered by earth with the cave system to the rear, and the exposed side of the house to the south, install 3 or 4  3600cfm fans in the cave to pull air from it into the house.   Now i would build my walls 2' thick with logs and mortar.  roofing system would be tin with 2" aluminum backed styrofoam. between the styrofoam and tin i would run pex all through the roof system, and use it for a dual porous cooling/heating system.  In summer it would cool the roof plus heat the water in your hot water tank.  The water would cycle down into the tank (totally separate from the water supply. It would be in a radiator style inset into the hot water tank.  THe heat would transfer to the water in the tank and be utilized effectively by reducing the power needed to keep it hot.  In the winter time it would be used to heat also. you can do the same thing by also running it into radiators along baseboards.  Being that the main function of geothermal would keep the house at a 50 deg temp in summer and winter, you would have no problem heating with the water.  It wouldn't take much to bring the temps up or down. 

Now that is common sense solution.  but you say there aren't caves in all parts of the country.  True!  BUT.... You can drill well holes down into the ground.  100 -500 foot wells and 5 -10 of them would produce enough volume of cool air to be piped into the house.  OR how bout this, dig a trench 500 foot long and line it with 6" pipe.  you can loop it so that the house can push the heated air back into the loop and cool it again.   Well water is another source of geo thermal.  Attach a well to a radiator and loop it back into the ground for a closed loop. The radiator in turn will blow cool air because.... thewater is 50 degrees.  a 2" line into a radiator would cook a 1000 square foot home relatively easily. 

Diane Amberg

Interesting read, but Delaware is the only state that has no real caves. I do miss the old hot water radiators in our previous house, very efficient. There is an earth house not far up the road from here. It's built into the side of a hill, underground on three side.

Hefe de vaca

Obviously , Enel and Westar disagree with your portayal of wind energy.

As for geothermal, you don't have to go any deeper than below your basement to get a constant 60 degrees and loop that through your home . Add trombe walls to create the flywheel effect and have very little energy input provided you insulate well. I built homes with this technology 20 years ago.

srkruzich

Quote from: Jefe de vaca on July 31, 2011, 09:02:25 PM
       Obviously , Enel and Westar disagree with your portayal of wind energy.
Take away the govt welfare and they'll drop it like a hot potato!

QuoteAs for geothermal, you don't have to go any deeper than below your basement to get a constant 60 degrees and loop that through your home . Add trombe walls to create the flywheel effect and have very little energy input provided you insulate well. I built homes with this technology 20 years ago.

ONLY IF all 4 walls are underground.   Not exactly a great way to do it.  need that south side exposed for several reasons.  Also need your basement above the waterline, not something your going to do easily here without building iinto a hill. Not a whole lot of them around here you know.

Its also cheaper to do the other methods i suggested than sinking 15-20k in concrete in a basement.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk