Would a tax break lure you to rural Kansas?

Started by sodbuster, July 25, 2011, 01:35:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teresa

Not enough Kool Aid here for the people of Kalifornia................. ;D Just sayin.........
Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History !

srkruzich

Quote from: sodbuster on July 25, 2011, 09:00:24 PM
Steve I don't think those programs are meant for you. You already live in a ROZ county. You moved there with less incentive than is provided by those two programs. I think you are just trying to keep people from moving to Kansas and populating\driving taxes up in your town. I can appreciate that. I am trying to get people from California to move to Kansas to get us back to our rural roots. It would be easier for me to move to Howard, but I just had more than enough of shoveling snow in my life.

David

no david i am telling you the way it is.  There is a couple brothers in eureka.  Eureka is giving away free land.  Well its not free, it comes with strings and LOTS of strings.  They went in signed the deal and got the property. OHhh and you do have to pay money for it. They charge closing costs and taxes.   When they accepted it it was zoned for house or business. Well they went and spent the money to set up the property for a business and when they went to get building permits they were denied. Then the city changed the zoning so they couldn't build their business.  Now the land contract required them to build a building on it in a year. well they couldn't' get the permits and the city took the land away from them.  BIG racket!

Goes back to what i said in another post. NOTHING in this world is free!

Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Teresa

You are right on that Steve...
Its a nightmare sham..
Talked to some people who checked into it..
Total total nightmare to the worst degree.

sodbuster

Quote from: Teresa on July 25, 2011, 09:05:19 PM
Not enough Kool Aid here for the people of Kalifornia................. ;D Just sayin.........
:laugh:

Teresa, Kansas has a population of 3.2 million people. I guarantee that I could send 3.2 million out of the 32 million that would be indistinguishable from a Kansan in beliefs, attitudes, lifestyle etc. They may not all be white like in Elk County, but they would make it and get along.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

Teresa

;D  I'm just pokin the snakes with a stick ...  ;D  I have a lot of friends from California too David.. I will be shooting in a championship match in September in California.. I don't agree with their politics but I love my friends who live there..
They think I am the biggest redneck they have ever met though...and I try to do something to up that  opinion every year I'm out there.. HAHaHA ;D ;D

sodbuster

Quote from: Teresa on July 25, 2011, 09:18:14 PM
;D  I'm just pokin the snakes with a stick ...  ;D  I have a lot of friends from California too David.. I will be shooting in a championship match in September in California.. I don't agree with their politics but I love my friends who live there..
They think I am the biggest redneck they have ever met though...and I try to do something to up that  opinion every year I'm out there.. HAHaHA ;D ;D

Teresa, I could take you to all the places in California where a redneck would be welcomed. Plenty of people here that would agree with your politics. I am one and I know more.  Not that I won't play up the Berkeley radical thing just for fun. Where is the match that you will be shooting at in September? I think I could round up several California rednecks to come watch. I am really am interested in were the match is.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

sodbuster

I could also hook you up with all the massage, candle lighting, aroma therapy, peacock feather, crystal therapy, incense burning, hippies left over from the 60's. Just don't talk politics with them and you will get along fine.

David

p.s. I have no problem with you poking the snake. Just don't sic the flying monkeys on me. :(

p.s.s. It is always worth chewing through the straps. That was the only time the burn unit nurses yelled at me. I made them take the straps off me. I then pulled out my feeding tube in the middle of the night. Then they put it back in my nose which was not fun. Ok maybe the straps were a good idea.

sodbuster

Quote from: srkruzich on July 25, 2011, 09:06:44 PM
no david i am telling you the way it is.  There is a couple brothers in eureka.  Eureka is giving away free land.  Well its not free, it comes with strings and LOTS of strings.  They went in signed the deal and got the property. OHhh and you do have to pay money for it. They charge closing costs and taxes.   When they accepted it it was zoned for house or business. Well they went and spent the money to set up the property for a business and when they went to get building permits they were denied. Then the city changed the zoning so they couldn't build their business.  Now the land contract required them to build a building on it in a year. well they couldn't' get the permits and the city took the land away from them.  BIG racket!

Goes back to what i said in another post. NOTHING in this world is free!

Steve I trust you in what you say. I agree nothing in this world is free. The only exception I know of is when you burn up in a fire and become infamous in your California town of 25,000. You get a lot of free stuff and help from people from Kansas and San Mateo County. People you don't even know. Naah some things you do get totally free. And as a good Kansas boy you pass that on to others even if you don't live in Kansas anymore. That it why I have always said all kids should grow up in Kansas. Now the tric is if we can just make it so they have a reason to stay in Kansas.

David

sodbuster

Ok kids why should someone move to Elk County Kansas. Wilma and Steve gave their negative view on the tax break. Though both live in EK\Grnw. Could it be that the only reason to move there is that you are on Social Security. After all EK is known for its large population of people on Social Security. But then there is Angie business owner\soon to be SPED teacher?.  Now with Poplar Pizza for Italian food and Connie for Mexican and doghnuts I think I am closer to moving back to Kansas. Toots is still there and that is important too. OK Kansas people what should lure people to rural Kansas?

David

Judy Harder

David, I am an Elk County citizen by choice.
I was born and raised in Topeka and my dad and siblings and families still live up there.

My husband's brother lived in Independence and we moved there to be closer to him and to expierence something (we didn't know what) and even tho we were raising kids....(we kind of burned our boats and needed to stay cause with Bob's lack of education 8th grade. jobs were out there, just none that raised a family............Until Bob got on at ARCO and well a long story short...............marriage got rocky and  we divorced and I went back to work at my favorite job hospital work and then to Elk County.

Met a guy while working and was very lonely and tired of raising 3 teenagers and oh needless to say, jumped into that marriage and tho it did go south...............I chose to stay in Elk County.
My kids loved it here, altho two enlisted and chose to stay where they got out and daughter moved to Wisconsin where her hubby  is from.

I am getting to Elk County........I really am. May cross a lot of this out, but brain is not real allert today and trying to remember is giving me a headache.
LOL Now, I have no family here in southeast Kansas.

I must rely on all the government help, and church family help and do you know, My favorite time of day is walking down Kansas either just walking or going to cafe/post office or whateve...........and I can't go past a car/truck with out having someone wave at me.

Altho I am mainly self sufficient.....my health is such that may not be possible in a few years.  I turn 69 this year and am developing health concerns.

You must love nature....and people must be able to entertain their self.........and until this year, I always went to school functions and community activities.
I like the slowness of the smaller county. Plus when there is a disaster in the county everyone who can helps in some way.
Either by prayer, clothing drives, food is gathered and delivered with NO STRINGS
Personally, I looked into moving back to Topeka and being closer to family.

I can't afford it. I am not totally disabled yet, but that could happen. And someday I may have to move north. That is up to God.

I am on a very fixed income and according to Obama, it ain't going up any.
No, Steve, I am not employable........no matter what you say. (I could babysit dogs and cats maybe.) But, drop what I pick up, hands haven't a lot of grip, and legs start to give out on me if I can't walk 30 minutes a day 5 times a week. and keep moving.

One of my biggest regrets is that when Bob and I moved to Independence, we didn't get to Elk County first.
Heck I never knew Longton was around until the big flood in 76 and nurses I worked with at hospital could not get in to work.
I think my kids would have fared better in this smaller/laid back/ Busy county.

I know I would have enjoyed living here as a kid....and ok, enough.
There are negative points.....
but someone else can have a turn.......no three people agree to everything........look at all the hot-heads here on forum and sharp tongues.

To me Elk County is God's country!
:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk