The future of Schools

Started by srkruzich, July 25, 2011, 07:16:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

BTW i don't fault the children for their parents actions.  One thing i found was you cannot save the world.  All you can do is what you can do and what God lays on your heart to do.  Anything else is nothing but sounding brass and tinkling cymbals.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: flo on July 25, 2011, 05:39:02 PM
Then I guess Teresa can do away with the catagotry of free, trade, etc., right? cause you PAY your own way. 

Ok whatever you want it to be.  I know that there is always a cost.  I don't ask for help. I trade or barter, or whatever i need to do to get by.  Have I been helped? Yep..And that is not something that you categorize as free trade or barter.  There is a cost.  That person that does help has to pay for it.  The only thing in this world that is free is Gods saving grace. Thats it.

srkruzich

Ok teresa step in here, tell them. You know me.  Aren't i the most onery obstinate cold hearted sob you ever met??

readyaimduck

QuoteAren't i the most onery obstinate cold hearted sob you ever met??

Steve, I'm not Teresa however I don't think you are cold hearted... ;D

I do agree on your points of Home Schooling.  Taken from the HSLDA Acedemic Statistics:
"These findings show that when parents, regardless of race, commit themselves to make the necessary sacrifices and tutor their children at home, almost all obstacles present in other school systems disappear."

I applaud you in your effort with your children.  I think what is being said is that the opporturnity for:
1.  It takes a lot of money to put a child through 1-12.
2.  Both parents need to work to obtain that money to put the child through 1-12.
3.  The adult educational skills are not like what they used to be, and I truly believe it began to emerge in the late 70' early 80's.
4.  More parents are faced with "diagnosed" disorders, which in my opinion is baloney....People were'different' when I was growing up and they are living great lives now, without the help of medicine.
5.  Cut budgets in the schools are now making teachers deal with more students, less one on one attention and more duties with extracirricular activities.

Personally, I have my degree to teach.  I decided not to persue it in 1976 when I saw how the parents treated the Superintendent/Principal...They ruled the school, and the kids got their ideas from that.

With both parents working, and no one at home to oversee their daily activities....they get away with 'bloody murder' and other kids pick up on it.
ready

readyaimduck

FROM THE SAME STUDY:
These 5,124 homeschoolers' composite scores on the basic battery of tests in reading, math, and language arts ranked 18 to 28 percentile points above public school averages. For instance, 692 homeschooled 4th graders averaged in the 77th percentile in reading, the 63rd percentile in math, and the 70th percentile in language arts. Sixth-grade homeschoolers, of 505 tested, scored in the 76th percentile in reading, the 65th percentile in math, and the 72nd percentile in language arts.

The homeschooled high schoolers did even better, which goes against the trend in public schools where studies show the longer a child is in the public schools, the lower he scores on standardized tests. One hundred and eighteen tenth-grade homeschool students, as a group, made an average score of the 82nd percentile in reading, the 70th percentile in math, and the 81st percentile in language arts.

Wilma

And the homeschooled students had parents who could afford for one of them to stay home and teach them.

readyaimduck

What about the money that was saved by NOT sending them to pulic school?  Therein lies the math.
What is the money spent for 1 year, say grades 1-6?  Any parents out there with the check book open?
Just curious.

Diane Amberg

My neighbor across the street home schooled her daughter until 8th grade when she begged to go to school with her friends. I'll ask her if there was a noticeable cost difference. Her three sons have always gone to public school. Good students and no problems.

readyaimduck

No offense Diane, but the cost of education in your state, may be a little different, plus the cost of living to get the 'average' job of 13-18,000/year around here.

But if someone happens to know the ratio between the two states....that could be factored in.
Thanks Diane.

Diane Amberg

Sure, no offense at all. I'll figure it out if I can get the stats and do a comparison.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk