Do Not Remove That Tag

Started by W. Gray, August 10, 2011, 06:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

This post was loosely inspired by the Oleomargarine law prohibiting the sale of a yellow colored product.

I saw a newspaper cartoon in the 70s or 80s where a common suburbanite homeowner had his house surrounded by a number of policemen. There were police cars everywhere and swat teams were ready to go in. More than one helicopter was flying overhead surveying the situation.

The policeman in charge remarked to the bewildered homeowner, "We heard you removed the tag from your mattress."

Early mattress's had tags that said "Do not remove under penalty of law." So people did not touch them. As a boy, I recall being told not to remove the tag on my mattress.

The intent was, though, that only the consumer could remove that tag.

Recently manufactured mattresses have tags that have been clarified to read "This tag may not be removed except by the consumer."

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Judy Harder

And I still leave tags on...........after reading this I might have to go around the house and snip, snip, snip.
I knew this, and being a child of the 40's, this was one that was brain washed into my head.
Ok, got to get my morning started.
This IS the day I head east. There are  a lot of laws on the books that should be deleted..some are real head shakers.........and shoulder shruggers.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Diane Amberg

I remember that too, but I also remember Daddy telling me what it was really for and being allowed to cut the tag off my new mattress, the one time I remember getting one back then. Have a good day Judy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk