SALLEE, George L. - b. February 22, 1922 - d. July 16, 2011

Started by patyrn, July 16, 2011, 05:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

patyrn

George L. Sallee, age 89, a resident of Moline, Kansas, passed away Saturday, July 16, 2011 at the Kansas Veterans Home in Winfield, Kansas.  He was born on February 22, 1922 in Wauneta, Kansas, the son of Jesse and Lottie Pearl (Patteson) Sallee.

George attended and graduated from Moline High School Class of 1941.  He was united in marriage to Betty M. Knabe on February 21, 1946 after he returned from his service with the United States Air Force, and to this union was born two children.  George worked most of his life for the Department of Transportation doing highway maintenance.  George and Betty were married for 65 years, and she survives at their home.

George was a member of the First Baptist Church of Moline, Kansas where he attended for over 60 years.  He was also a member of the American Legion.  In his spare time, he enjoyed building birdhouses, hunting, fishing, making toys for his grandchidlren, and traveling with his wife and friends.  

Including his wife, Betty, George is survived by two daughters, Jeanetta S. Murphy of Moline, Kansas and Diana L. Wilson and her husband, Mike of Caney, Kansas; five grandchidlren, Rachel, Becky, Adam, Janelle, and Jackie; and 13 great-grandchildren.  He was preceded in death by his parents; three brothers, Leon, Dale, and Wayne Sallee; and one son-in-law, Donny Murphy.

Funeral services will be at 10:30 a.m. on Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at the First Baptist Church in Moline, Kansas with Pastor Jim Bob Thompson officiating.  Burial will follow at the Moline City Cemetery.  Visitation will be held Monday, July 18, 2011 from 4:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. at Countryside-Zimmerman Funeral Home, 206 E. Washington, Howard, Kansas.  The family suggests memorial contributions to the First Baptist Church of Moline which may be left with the funeral home.  Online condolences may be left for the family at www.countrysidefh.com.  Arrangements are under the direction of Countryside-Zimmerman  Funeral Home,  P.O. Box 1233, Howard, Kansas 67349.

(taken from the Countryside Funeral Home website)

Catwoman

My prayers are with Betty now.  I was very fond of George Sallee.  He was a consumate gentleman and a good friend.  The world is a poorer place for the loss of this wonderful man.

Janet Harrington

Oh, Catwoman, you are so right about George. He was the sweetest thing. I alwayss loved to see Betty and George together. They would drive to Howard to eat at Toot's and he always had a smile for me. He will be so missed by his family, but he is at peace and guess what! He gets to see Jesus. Wow.

Ole Granny

George was special as was his mother, Pearl and his brother, Wayne.  Pearl was the sweetest person.  My thoughts and prayers for all the family.

"Perhaps they are not the stars in the sky.
But rather openings where our loved ones,
Shine down to let us know they are happy."
Eskimo Legend

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk