bulk shopping question

Started by readyaimduck, July 18, 2011, 06:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

You get the locals to catch the crappie or bass in season, donate it for the VFW, the churches to have a fish fry all with the fixin's of hush puppies, homemade, cole slaw, homemade saucse....some "very good eats" :)....to quote Alton Brown.

Diane Amberg

Judy, fish sticks? They are usually sea fish, often pollock. Any kind of really fresh fish is tops! Down on Cape Hatteras NC ,the local fire companies have the best fish fries in the summer..... same menu! The firefighters go out and catch the fish, so the fish fry is Catch of The Day. Makes me want some just to write about it.

Judy Harder

diane, while Robyn was in the Army (MP) she was stationed at Aberdeen in Maryland is that right on chesapeak bay by Annapolis. and she swears the difference in sea/fresh can't compare to those shipped in. I always want to try Red Lobster and the other places that sell them, just never got to a city at the right time to eat there and except seeing them in meat cases. I probably would eat crawdaddy's first. I do know what they are and have even ate some gator tail that wasn't half bad.
But, I haven't been anywhere except Kansas and when the folks took us to California, we did not have money to eat out and our family was meat and tators.maybe fried catfish if we were home.
Sounds good and I would be game to try your special fish. but am not holding my breath. (Oh, I do like Long John Silvers) always like the cracklings best tho.....just a redneck mam just a redneck.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

sixdogsmom

Fish was always a treat at our house, and most of it was caught by the family. I do remember canned salmon and tuna, but no other purchased fish until home freezers came into vogue. Then we had ocean perch and occasionally, shrimp. My very first restraunt seafood was a seabass at a Chinese place in Chinatown, San Francisco when i was 12. That was the year our family made the trek to the promised land of California. Two weeks of wonders, one after another!  :D :D I still adore fish, and other seafood.
Edie

sodbuster

Quote from: sixdogsmom on July 25, 2011, 08:04:58 PM
Fish was always a treat at our house, and most of it was caught by the family. I do remember canned salmon and tuna, but no other purchased fish until home freezers came into vogue. Then we had ocean perch and occasionally, shrimp. My very first restraunt seafood was a seabass at a Chinese place in Chinatown, San Francisco when i was 12. That was the year our family made the trek to the promised land of California. Two weeks of wonders, one after another!  :D :D I still adore fish, and other seafood.

OK folks this is an inside joke Edie will know what I mean.

Edie as your "boy toy", if I am so lucky to get that status when I move to Elk County to reform the government, I will be able to bring you all the fish that you desire from San Francisco's Chinatown and Half Moon Bay, CA.  :laugh:

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 25, 2011, 06:32:49 PM
Judy, fish sticks? They are usually sea fish, often pollock. Any kind of really fresh fish is tops! Down on Cape Hatteras NC ,the local fire companies have the best fish fries in the summer..... same menu! The firefighters go out and catch the fish, so the fish fry is Catch of The Day. Makes me want some just to write about it.

my favorite is dolphin.  If i ever get back to the carolinas or even savannah, i'll load up two coolers worth and bring back.  I know where i can buy it a dollar a pound!  and i will load up!  Go right to the boat when it comes in.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

srkruzich

Quote from: Judy Harder on July 25, 2011, 07:26:02 PM
diane, while Robyn was in the Army (MP) she was stationed at Aberdeen in Maryland is that right on chesapeak bay by Annapolis. and she swears the difference in sea/fresh can't compare to those shipped in. I always want to try Red Lobster and the other places that sell them, just never got to a city at the right time to eat there and except seeing them in meat cases. I probably would eat crawdaddy's first. I do know what they are and have even ate some gator tail that wasn't half bad.
But, I haven't been anywhere except Kansas and when the folks took us to California, we did not have money to eat out and our family was meat and tators.maybe fried catfish if we were home.
Sounds good and I would be game to try your special fish. but am not holding my breath. (Oh, I do like Long John Silvers) always like the cracklings best tho.....just a redneck mam just a redneck.

unfortunately red lobster isn't good seafood at all. :(  They used to be years ago. Now they are just an over priced food chain store. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Wilma

We visited my aunt in Washington state one summer and she thought that fresh salmon would be a treat for us.  I thought so, too.  I don't know how she fixed it, but I could hardly eat it.  Now, we buy fresh salmon once in awhile and Daughter steams it.  Almost as good a fresh caught catfish.  Since I can't go fishing anymore (afraid of rolling into the pond) I just have to depend on the generosity of others for the fresh caught.  (Jarhead, hint, hint,)  I am sure Jo would enjoy some, too. and I don't live too far from her.

sixdogsmom

Oaky David, just make certain that you have plenty of ice since they get a little grumpy with fishy smell on the bus!  :D Please do not bring any of those mermaids though, I don't think the fishermen around here could stand the shock!

And Steve, I don't think that I could eat dolphin, they seem to be such an intelligent critter and have a long history of aiding sailors.  :P :P
Edie

sodbuster

Quote from: srkruzich on July 25, 2011, 08:33:14 PM
my favorite is dolphin.  If i ever get back to the carolinas or even savannah, i'll load up two coolers worth and bring back.  I know where i can buy it a dollar a pound!  and i will load up!  Go right to the boat when it comes in.

Steve are you talking the Mahi Mahi (Dolphin fish) or Dolphin " Flipper the dolphin"? I have had both. I prefer Mahi Mahi.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk