bulk shopping question

Started by readyaimduck, July 18, 2011, 06:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

Wilma

The mincemeat I used to make contained beef as that was the way my mother made it and her mother made it.  The only fat in it was what was still on the meat.  No fat was added.

readyaimduck

Sorry I had to leave the house before I could reply.
Yes, Wilma...dad would butcher the steer in the yard, and the head would be stripped and brought to the kitchen table for mom to scrape any thing from it.   Mincemeat most definetly had beef in it!

Lookatmeknow!!

You know, I am spoiled. I don't like to buy much beef anywhere. It doesn't compare to ours that we get butchered. We had a hog done also, and we didn't have it cured. I love pork buger!! Can use it for anything and make our own sausage when we need it. As for eggs, we raise chickens. So we have eggs most of the time, unless the hens decide its to hot to work, and we don't get many. We free range our eggs, plus feed them. They are spoiled, too!!! We too sell them to some folks, and for a 1.00. We are not in the egg business to make money so it's better to share what extra we get. One of these days price will have to go up, when hubby yells at me about selling to cheap, but for now they stay at 1.00.
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

srkruzich

Quote from: Lookatmeknow!! on July 19, 2011, 11:43:02 AM
You know, I am spoiled. I don't like to buy much beef anywhere. It doesn't compare to ours that we get butchered. We had a hog done also, and we didn't have it cured. I love pork buger!! Can use it for anything and make our own sausage when we need it. As for eggs, we raise chickens. So we have eggs most of the time, unless the hens decide its to hot to work, and we don't get many. We free range our eggs, plus feed them. They are spoiled, too!!! We too sell them to some folks, and for a 1.00. We are not in the egg business to make money so it's better to share what extra we get. One of these days price will have to go up, when hubby yells at me about selling to cheap, but for now they stay at 1.00.

I am afraid it may not be too long before you go up on your egg prices.  You'll hve to feed those hens this winter, and they aren't giving any promising news on price of feed coming down.   Damn farmers got greedy and are selling it all to the ethanol plants to get that government welfare that subsidizes that price they are getting.    Sure wish we could buy from the farmers who grow food for foo d and not food for fuel
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

farmgal67357

We are also spoiled by home grown beef. Every time hubby goes down the meat isle at Wal-Mart, he cringes. Fresh, it is not. Luckily our Sav-A-Lot has a pretty good meat department, but even there the prices have gotten so high!
Yep, my two boys were raised on steak and couldn't get enough of it! Used to put a HUGE smile on my dad's face.....he raised Herefords.
Lisa
Lisa

Wilma

You will find that the meat at the Family Market is very good.  My daughter won't buy certain things anywhere else.  Especially the chicken and hamburger.  She says the milk is cheaper there and I find that the eggs are very good.  Happy shopping in Howard when you get here.

Judy Harder

That is where I grocery shopped yesterday. I did not buy meat or cold/frozen. I did not take an icechest and wasn't sure what I was going to do after that store.
I had been looking for 20 Mule Team Borax......I had been told it makes a nice flea repelant(sp) and altho I do have the dogs easier, this heat, and the dryness is just their cup of tea.
I know we all are bringing them in from our walk and yard, after all we are rural and critters beside dogs and cats wonder by.
Oh, I forgot I did get that at Cooksons, Cooksons, Batsons......sound alike, right................LOL
But at Cooksons is the only place I can find Carpet 409 that is close to me and I do like to use it when I or Sassy or Scooter  make a mess........I am the biggest messer..oh well.
I will be going back to Batsons monthly now...........I like Richard Claytors fresh meat and will continue to use his store, do not want him to go out of business.........and I can walk there and back, and hitch a ride if I ask. He will deliver Or Christine will....very nice thing.
I am afraid that things, like produce and anything is going to get where we will all bargain hunt and maybe even coop? Happy Shopping.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Wilma

I cringe at the sight of the meat at Wal-Marts, too.  However, we mostly stay out of the grocery side of the store.  I do like looking at their produce but that is all I do.  On another thread I told about my visit to my favorite Wal-Mart Monday while in Derby for a doctor's appointment.  Even the items that I find at the East Kellogg store look better in the Derby store.  Wish it weren't so out of our way.  Most of our Wichita visits are in the northeast part of town.

Catwoman

There are already groups of people, mostly in larger cities, who coop together and order their produce and other grocery items in that manner.  I looked into it at one point...It wouldn't take much to get a coop started.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk