bulk shopping question

Started by readyaimduck, July 18, 2011, 06:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 21, 2011, 09:44:54 PM
Steve you could still get green beans if you replant right away.
Diane, at the heat levels right now i doubt they would grow.  The only bean seed i have right now is kentucky wonders and they take forever to produce.  They put all their energy in vining.  Uhmmm i'm going to try and plant some topcrop maybe next month when i get my check.  I have broccoli and rhubarb planted in here in cups to set out when temps start coming down.  next month i'll start cabbage and hope it will head up before winter.  I'll replant cukes too.  Tomatos are a loss :(  I so wish i could get fresh ones. :(

IF i had known last frost was going to be in early april this year i would have set out sooner. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

sixdogsmom

I did set out a single tomato plant, and have gotten a couple of tomatoes. But I have decided that the water required to keep it going is not worth the zero tomatoes in the near future. Those two tomatoes surely did taste good though!  ;) I understand that Howard is now under a water restriction watch as are many surrounding towns. I sure do wish we could get some rain, 1 1/2 inches this year since the spring. I just cannot believe it.  :-\ :-\
Edie

srkruzich

Quote from: sixdogsmom on July 21, 2011, 10:19:09 PM
I did set out a single tomato plant, and have gotten a couple of tomatoes. But I have decided that the water required to keep it going is not worth the zero tomatoes in the near future. Those two tomatoes surely did taste good though!  ;) I understand that Howard is now under a water restriction watch as are many surrounding towns. I sure do wish we could get some rain, 1 1/2 inches this year since the spring. I just cannot believe it.  :-\ :-\

Wwell i don't have a sprinkler.  So i hand water mine with my water wand.  ITs like a showerhead on a stick.  I directly water each one til the ground is saturated in its area.   RIght now i'm killing johnson grass.  The heat is good for that at least.  Getting it under control i think.  Pain in the arse! I also killed most of those damn sticker plants in the feed area.  figure i'll burn them suckers here when the rest die.  Its isolated so no fear of fire getting away from it.

Almost got my mower fixed so i can mow.  Thats been the biggest pain for me this month.  had to order parts and then it got too hot to work on it, and have been working on it in the early mornings to avoid the heat. I got it back together and have to see if the belts are right. 

THen attach the deck and get it started.

Judy Harder

That's why I think Cattle bunk(without the bars) is a good 'garden' for a limited space.  No bending over and holes in the bottom for drainage with a catch tray for recycle.

what is this? how much room does it take up?. is this what I call a creepfeeder when ranchers feed extra to calves and keep mama's out?
I am getting where I have trouble bending over and then standing up again. Aint a bit pretty!
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Catwoman

My yellow cherry tomatoes are just starting to come on.  I've been nibbling on them as I water every morning.  My red grape tomatoes aren't producing...All they're doing is surviving the heat at this point but I expect them to start producing as soon as the heat wave breaks a bit.  This was a great year for asparagus, though...And since I've let them just grow, instead of cutting them, I have the nicest hedge.  :D

readyaimduck

Not a creep feeder, Judy....more like a horizontally halved metal barrel on legs.  I've even gone so far as to take an old metal chicken feeder tray to start my veggies in.
Anything that is at least 2' deep and I can walk around it, like a small water tank for the cows.

Shoot, perhaps an old toilet with dirt in the bowl for a tomato plant!!!???????;D
ready

Catwoman

All of my tomatoes are container plants.  It is the most efficient manner to garden, when it comes to tomatoes, that I've ever found.

Diane Amberg

I like that old toilet idea. Put some screen across the bottom so the dirt doesn't fall out and set it as garden sculpture out in the beans. Now that's cute! I have a big pot up on my deck with a grape tom and it's surrounded by a tall cage. I can just step out and snack. Sudden the yellow squash have come on and we're all trying to given them to each other. Had our first mess of green beans last night.Yummy.The heat is bothering the cukes but they are trying. This heat,especially today, may shut down, the tomato blooms for while. No stink bugs yet though.  I guess this is really off the subject. Sorry. Steve, I have three of those water wands. Love'em.

srkruzich

Nothing says redneck more than a toilet with flowers on the front lawn!

Diane Amberg

Out back in the beans! Not in the front yard! ;D ;D ;D We still have people downstate who have flower gardens in old tractor tires, in the front yard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk