This LAWN JOCKY wants war!

Started by srkruzich, July 13, 2011, 11:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

Lisa, a lawn jocky is a figure of a jocky in front of a home that you tie a horse to when you are visiting.
I don't see them much any more..........altho if I am not mistaken they are still a few in the deep south.
In the west they use a fence post or a tree to tie up to.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

srkruzich

They still manufacture them and their sales are quite high despite the protests.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

farmgal67357

Quote from: srkruzich on July 14, 2011, 05:47:51 AM
Here ya go Lisa :)

WHOA!! Okay, now Ready's post is REALLY FUNNY!!!!  :laugh: In Parsons we have some "hitchin' posts" in front of some of the older homes, but they are usually made out of some sort of stone.
Lisa
Lisa

Judy Harder

Yes, most I saw were stone painted to look like the jockey
There may be some in Amish country......look around when you all are traveling.
stay cool.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

srkruzich

Quote from: farmgal67357 on July 14, 2011, 08:45:27 AM
WHOA!! Okay, now Ready's post is REALLY FUNNY!!!!  :laugh: In Parsons we have some "hitchin' posts" in front of some of the older homes, but they are usually made out of some sort of stone.
Lisa

IF ya noticed its painted to look like obama. 

Diane Amberg

Old "Jocko" has even more history than that.The originals were cast iron I believe, and go way back. I remember seeing many of them showing up at house auctions here in the late 40's and early 50's. Mom loved antiques and took her with me to many sales.I learned to bid at an early age. ( my first win was a bunch of seashells and a seahorse for .25.  I was eight. )
Those hitching posts had been also used as signals for the underground railroad.  Depending on the paint or ribbons or rope knots that were tied on an arm, it could signal safety or danger. Much later they were made as yard lanterns as well as hitching posts.The oldest ones are very expensive now and most have been snatched up by collectors.   

srkruzich

that is what the legend says.  Not sure if it is verified.  They also say that jocko was a boy that joined up with washington when he crossed ito deleware and that washington would't let him go with him. So he had jocko hold the horses and when he got back found that jocko had frozen to death carrying on his duty.  Then washington had a statue commissioned for his property and thats how the jocko Lawn jockie came about.

farmgal67357

Today someone could just look at that and say, "Well, that's just Racist!" It's neat to know the actual history behind something. I've seen these statues before, but didn't know what they were called! Now I know it's just brave, little Jocko..... :)
Lisa
Lisa

Diane Amberg

I didn't know about the Washington part. I'll have to do some research on that. Very interesting.

srkruzich

Quote from: farmgal67357 on July 14, 2011, 03:58:42 PM
Today someone could just look at that and say, "Well, that's just Racist!" It's neat to know the actual history behind something. I've seen these statues before, but didn't know what they were called! Now I know it's just brave, little Jocko..... :)
Lisa

LOL yeah thats why they are rare now.  Few years ago, Jesse Jacksons Rainbow group went around stealing lawn jockies off peoples property and destroying them.  Folks think it was him cause he started a stink about them. You know him.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk