Teachers Union

Started by Maude, July 06, 2011, 06:59:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maude

It was also stated they raised the teachers dues by $10.00 so it go toward Obamas campaign.

Catwoman

WHAT????????????????  >:(  I didn't volunteer to have my paycheck gouged for that idiot's benefit! 

Diane Amberg

Cat, please look that up for yourself.That's not what I read. One blogger is trying to put a spin on it. I read that the increase, which is true for NEA, is to combat the loss of bargaining rights among other things.

Catwoman

Well, speaking as a single mom, I don't see where my having to forcibly donate ten more dollars to the cause every month is going to do anything to mitigate the loss of bargaining rights. 

Diane Amberg

Cat check with your rep.There was a time when people who didn't support the political activity could petition to get that part of their dues refunded. I have no idea if that is still true...It's been a long time.

Catwoman

Interesting...I may have to look into that.  Thank you!  That will save me over 120/year!!

srkruzich

Quote from: Catwoman on July 06, 2011, 01:20:30 PM
Red, just the fact that you could make that statement indicates you really have no true working knowledge of the field of Education, beyond that of what you have been exposed to in your own K-12 education.  What you have proposed is a nice little pipedream (and I'd be interested to see what you're stuffing that pipe with, to be honest). 

Actually he's right on the money.  Abolish the Department of Ed, and return local control to the communities with schools.  We know that Centralized school management doesn't work.  IF your going to distribute tax dollars for schools then do so based on performance. 

I still believe that if the kid doesn't give a rats ass about his education, then thats his/her choice and should reap the consequences of that decision.  Personally if each parent had to foot the bill for their kids education instead of all of us, then they would have a vested interest in making sure their child learns.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Diane Amberg

So how do you propose to create responsible parents in order to have responsible kids? Ya can't sterilize 'em just in case.

momof 2boys

Steve, I am curious as to how much you think parents should pay each year for the education of the children.  Would it be enough to cover costs for materials, utilities, wages of staff, etc.?

Catwoman

And don't forget having to pay for all of the unfunded mandates, that (after the Fed. funding is stripped away) will now fall on the local municipalities to have to pay for in its entirety?  Short of doctors and lawyers, there won't be many who will be able to afford to educate their children...And the chasm between the have's and the have not's will widen even further than it is already. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk