In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley

Started by Judy Harder, July 05, 2011, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

October 6

When Things Seem Impossible

Jeremiah 32:17-22

What is your first reaction when you encounter a difficult circumstance—one that looks impossible? Some people go into "overdrive" searching for an answer or a way out. Others curl up in defeat or withdrawal, either declaring the situation hopeless or trying to avoid it altogether. Hopefully, as a Christian, you turn immediately to the Lord, seeking His guidance. But what you ask Him is very important.

• O Lord, what am I going to do? At first glance, this seems like the right thing to ask, but is it? The problem with this question is that even though we are seeking the Lord's guidance, the focus is on our actions. That means the way we think about how to handle the situation is limited to our abilities, resources, and understanding. All too often, our minds will begin to devise possible plans, and we soon resort to manipulating and maneuvering in an attempt to fix the problem.

• God, what are You going to do? This is the right question because now the focus has shifted to the omniscience and omnipotence of almighty God. He blows the sides out of any box that confines us and untangles any situation that baffles us. He has the power to carry out His plans, which—unlike our solutions—are perfect, always bringing Him glory.

To truly pray the second prayer, you must be willing to surrender all your plans into His hands. Not only does He know what to do and how to accomplish it, but He can also make a way through any impossibility. Your job is simply to trust Him and obediently follow His directions.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 7

Lessons on Impossibilities

John 6:1-14

God's Word is a treasure for many reasons—one being that it's so practical. The stories and principles found in the Gospels are just as applicable today as they were in Jesus' day. We've all experienced times when our backs are to the wall, our problem seems to have no solution, and we don't know what to do. When that happens, we need to remember that impossible situations are opportunities for the Lord to teach us valuable lessons that we'd never learn any other way.

God's supremacy trumps human resources. When Jesus asked, "Where are we to buy bread, so that these may eat?" (v. 5), Philip quickly recognized his own inadequacy. Although Christ knew all along what He would do, He was teaching His disciples that the perfect plan and the power to implement it come only from God, not from human solutions and resources.

The Lord often requires our participation. Even though Christ could have spoken bread into existence, He chose to use people to achieve His purpose. Andrew scouted around for food, a young boy gave up his small lunch, and the disciples organized the crowd and distributed the food Jesus handed them. Each step required trust and obedience, especially since Christ's method seemed so illogical.

God knows how to solve your problem, but He may choose to require your cooperation, possibly even asking you to do something that seems unreasonable. But whenever we yield our flawed solutions and meager resources to Him and step out in obedience, He does great things in us and through us.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 8/9

Looking for Fruit
Galatians 5:16-26

As believers, we all want the fruit of the Spirit, but how can we know if we truly have it? Even unbelievers can display these qualities when conditions are positive. This nine-fold fruit of the Spirit is not what we do, but who we are, and it is primarily on display in Christians when circumstances are unfavorable. Two characteristics help us recognize these traits in our lives.

Fruitful believers are not controlled by their environment. Everyone experiences trials and pain, but those who are filled with the Spirit do not lose His fruit because of their situations. They keep their joy even when difficulties overwhelm. If someone speaks harshly, they respond with kindness. Because the Holy Spirit is in control, He is free to produce His fruit no matter what the circumstances are. Even though such believers may feel pain, anger, or a desire for revenge, they choose to trust the Lord to protect them and direct the outcome. 

Fruitful Christians recover quickly after a fall. These believers are not perfect, but they are sensitive to the Spirit's conviction and are quick to return to the Lord in repentance. In fact, they are actually grateful for the correction and praise God, not only for revealing their weakness but also for drawing them back to obedience.

No one produces these amazing qualities in himself. Trying harder to be godly will never work. Character transformation occurs when we submit to God, giving Him complete control of our lives. Only then will the Spirit be free to produce fruit that remains even in the deepest, darkest storms.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 10

Called to Warfare
2 Corinthians 10:3-5

Many Christians don't realize that they are in a battle. We have an Enemy who opposes us in every way—his purpose is to prevent us from becoming who God wants us to be and achieving what He'd have us do. The Devil frustrates our plans, confuses our minds, and brings feelings of anxiety and despair. But he doesn't stop there; he also stirs up disunity in our relationships and churches.

There are several things that Christians should understand about this combat:

The battle is real, even if we can't see it. The difficulty, pain, and discouragement Satan causes are genuine. His temptations are not imaginary; they overwhelm and lure us away from the Lord.

The battle is spiritual. Our struggle is not with one another but with invisible forces of wickedness. Although the conflict is waged in the spiritual realm, it impacts every part of us—our mind, will, emotions, desires, and even our bodies.

The battle is tough. The Adversary fights dirty, and the encounter is "up close and personal." Our confrontation with the forces of evil is like spiritual hand-to-hand combat and flesh-to-flesh wrestling. He has a host of demonic beings who work unceasingly, even when we sleep. As long as we are on earth, the war will continue.

Although the Enemy is strong, there isn't reason to fear—he's no match for Christ, who lives within us. We've been entrusted with Jesus' divine power over the Evil One. However, we can access the Son's authority only by submitting to His lordship and walking in obedience to His Spirit.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 11

Giving Jesus First Place

Philippians 2:9-11

When Christ has first place in our lives, we will experience many blessings. These include a . . .

Quiet spirit. As we turn our attention to the Lord and meditate on His Word, He "leads us beside quiet waters," where we find rest for our soul (Ps. 23:2). TheHoly Spirit will help us shut out the "noise" of worldly distractions so He can provide assurance of our Father's love and support. With a quieted heart and mind, we will be able to discern what God is saying to us.

Stronger faith. Studying the Scriptures will enlarge our view of God and give us insight and direction. Reading how the Lord has helped others, we will gain confidence that He is at our side, enabling us to meet life's demands. Our faith will grow as we follow His direction and watch how He works on our behalf.

Purified heart. Like a mirror, the Bible reflects back to us who we truly are and reveals where we need to change. When we confess our sin, God promises to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

Prepared mind. We don't know what's in our tomorrows, but God does. He wants to prepare us for the future—both the joyous times and the hard ones. Through the Holy Spirit's ministry, we will be equipped for whatever life brings (2 Peter 1:3).

Paul's life demonstrates what it means to give Jesus first place. Because the apostle made Christ the Lord of his life (Gal. 2:20), he knew joy amidst trials and received the strength to face turmoil and difficulty. These blessings will also be ours when we make relationship with Jesus our highest goal.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 12

Our Incomparable Companion

John 14:16-18

Most of us don't like being alone for extended periods of time. In fact, we are not designed to live in isolation. Even at the very beginning, God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone" (Gen. 2:18). But sometimes situations in life leave us separated from others. Or perhaps we simply feel lonely, even though we live with our mate or family. But whatever your situation may be, if you are a believer, you're never alone.

Knowing His followers could feel abandoned after His crucifixion and ascension, Jesus promised to send them a Helper who would never leave them—the Spirit of truth. The same One who came to them at Pentecost still abides within every believer. He has been sent to walk alongside us as our comforter, enabler, and guide.

The Holy Spirit, unlike human companions, is perfectly adequate to meet our every need. Since He knows us intimately, He can comfort us in pain and loss when no one else can. Anytime we find ourselves in a quandary, He knows exactly what we ought to do. Since the future is laid bare before His eyes, He's aware of all the details that concern us. What's more, He promises to guide us each step of the way, calming our fears and overcoming our inadequacies.

Because we were created for God, only through His Spirit are we made complete. He is the ultimate solution to man's aloneness: He's always available and will never forsake or forget you. When others let you down, the Comforter is present to lift you up with the reminder that you're not alone.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 13, 2011

Our Divine Teacher

1 Corinthians 2:9-16

One of the reasons that many people—including believers—don't read the Bible is because they can't understand it. We would expect that to be the case for those who don't know Christ, but why do so many believers fail to comprehend the truths of Scripture? Maybe it's because they haven't asked for help from their divine Teacher. One of the Holy Spirit's chief responsibilities is to enable Christians to understand the things of God.

When looking at believers who know more than we do, we'll sometimes think, I will never be able to reach that level. The issue, however, isn't how much knowledge you have right now, but whether you are growing in your understanding. The Spirit will teach you what you need to know, not necessarily what others know. Because He wants to make us godly people, He'll give us enough truth each day to change our lives. He will interpret the meaning and give an application designed specifically for each person.

The Spirit's goal is not to fill your mind with information but to bring you to a deeper level in your relationship with the Lord. He wants you to understand the truth so you will fall in love with Jesus. Then you'll long to spend time in the Word, thereby getting to know Him even better.

But all these treasures of God's Word could remain out of reach if you never ask the Teacher to unlock them. Each time you read your Bible, ask the Lord for understanding. A wonderfully intimate love relationship with Christ awaits those who let the Spirit reveal to them the thoughts of God.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 14

Winning in Warfare

1 Timothy 1:18

After September 11, 2001, our country declared war against terrorism. Initially, this effort monopolized headlines and kept many of us glued to the television. Ten years later, there is far less publicity about the struggle, but we are far from experiencing international peace.

These are trying, uncertain times—and not just on a global scale. As believers, we face warfare constantly, wrestling with sin and its consequences. Continually at a crossroads, we are faced with a decision: Will we follow Jesus or let the pressures of life turn our loyalty elsewhere?

In any war—whether renewed tensions in the Middle East or our own spiritual battle—there are several actions essential for victory. Today, we will focus on the first tactic: knowing our Enemy and the way he operates. In his desire to draw us away from the Lord, the Devil attempts to bring doubt, sin, guilt, and destruction to our lives. He deceives, divides, and destroys.

Christians must stay alert with regard to the Enemy. When we are reading the Word, praying, and spending time with other believers, good protection is in place. By memorizing Scripture, we have truth in our hearts to shield us against deception. In addition, we can tell Satan to flee in the name of Christ (Mark 16:17; Luke 10:17).

Are you in a vulnerable position where the Adversary has easy access? Make sure your life is firm upon the solid rock of Jesus Christ. Unless you purposefully stay close to Him, the Devil will draw you away from God. Be like a branch that stays attached to the vine so that victory is yours.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 15

Why God Speaks

James 1:23-25

God is not one to speak in generalities. When He whispers from the pages of Scripture or confronts through a friend's words, the Father directly addresses issues in His children's lives. With that in mind, let's look at His three goals for communicating with believers—namely, for us to:

1. Comprehend the truth. God wants us to learn His ways and principles, to recognize our own frailty, and to identify the needs of others. He does more than offer this as head knowledge—He makes truth applicable to our lives. For example, the Lord assured Paul that His strength was sufficient to carry the apostle through anything (2 Cor. 12:9). Circumstances taught the apostle that God's Word was true.

2. Conform to the truth. Our lives are shaped by our belief system. What we hold as true influences our thinking. In turn, how we think affects our character, conduct, and conversation. God is determined to mold His children into Christlikeness so that they reflect His gospel to the world.

3. Communicate the truth. Every child of God is called to make disciples (Matt. 28:19). Believers can know the Lord and walk in His light but still fall short of this expectation. We must share the gospel by sharing God's truth with others and explaining how His words played out in our lives.

Notice that each goal builds on the one preceding it. Christians are a light reflecting God's glory to this world. We shine brightly by being attentive to God's voice and following His will. And when someone takes an interest in the source of our light, we are prepared to share the good news of Christ.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

October 17

A Call to Repentance

Hebrews 4:13-16

How many times have you gotten caught in a "guilt cycle"? This involves confessing the same old sin, telling God you're sorry, and promising not to do it again—while suspecting that you probably will. Then around you go again. You've come clean dozens of times but still have no victory. Yet there is a biblical promise that states, "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and righteous to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness" (1 John 1:9, emphasis added).

Friends, God is holding up His end of that promise. It's people who fall short—we have turned confession into a rote recitation of our shortcomings. The attitude is, I'm disappointed in myself, but I am weak and God knows that. True confession means agreeing with the Lord about sin, and it is inseparably linked with repentance; they're two sides of the same coin. To repent is to turn our back upon wrong. By looking at our sin from God's perspective, we will see a vile, wicked habit with terrible consequences, and we'll want to run from that as fast as possible!

In practical terms, to confess and repent requires the intentional decision to say, "By the Holy Spirit's power, I'm turning away." Satan will still tempt you, and failure remains a possibility. But God can break the chains of your sin, and He wants to set you free.

Victory can be immediate or a process of trading wrong choices for right ones. In some cases, temptation involving habitual sin never goes away. Then it becomes necessary to face each day in God's strength. When you forsake sin, the power of heaven is there to help you.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk