In Touch with Dr. Charles Stanley

Started by Judy Harder, July 05, 2011, 09:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

August 9, 2011

Brokenness - The Plan 2

John 12:20-26

Do you desire God's best in life? And do you hope to become the person He created you to be, able to accomplish all He has planned? Most likely, your answer is affirmative to both questions. But are you willing for the Lord to do whatever is necessary to bring about full submission in your life?

This third inquiry oftentimes does not receive a resounding "yes." Yet in order for us to enjoy the best of God's blessings and to blossom into the people we were designed to be, we have to surrender our will. Let me be the first to admit that it is not an easy process.

All of us have certain desires and habits that we simply do not want to relinquish. Today's passage teaches us that dying to ourselves is necessary before we can truly live for God.

As you would expect, that is inevitably painful. It would be much easier if we could just choose to give up our stubborn wills. But according to Scripture, when we become believers, we retain unrighteous behavior patterns, which can be rather ingrained. God has to permit enough difficulty to enter our lives so that our old "flesh" tendencies are broken. Only then can we yield our hearts to the Lord without reservation.

Though it is hard to understand, our heavenly Father allows pain because of His great love. Just as a parent hates for his child to hurt, God takes no pleasure in our difficulty. But He so desires that we experience fullness of life in Christ that He allows hardship to shape us.

:angel:
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 10, 2011

Overcoming Obstacles

Joshua 6:1-5

The Lord has a beautiful plan for each believer's life. But to thwart God's purposes, Satan sprinkles obstacles in our path.

There are many types of hindrances, such as a difficult boss, contrary family members, and financial trouble. Anything that blocks a desired goal can cause anxiety and great frustration. But remember that no obstacle can touch you without God's consent.

Consider Joshua's army, which was no match for Jericho's military. And the great wall protecting that city was an impossible barrier to cross. Yet God had promised the Israelites the land, and Joshua believed. He wasn't fazed by what seemed unconquerable. Instead, he acknowledged the Lord's power and sought His guidance.

Before Joshua even realized that God was at work, the Lord was preparing the city for destruction by instilling fear into kings throughout the region. Heaven's directions included an unlikely battle plan, but because Joshua obeyed, God's people triumphed.

Waiting can be difficult. And after a while, we might even begin to wonder if God will do anything at all—then it is easy to quit. But, as was true with Joshua, God has gone before us and is preparing the way. No matter how He chooses to handle the problem, His solution is always in our best interest.

Whenever you face an obstacle, you may experience great heartache. But even in the midst of pain, you can have full confidence in God. The most important part of each day is the time you spend alone with the Lord. He will encourage you with His love and give direction.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 11, 2011

Handling Difficult Circumstances

Philippians 3:8-11

The apostle Paul understood how to handle tough circumstances. Even while he was confined in a prison cell, he kept his eyes on Christ and trusted firmly in the Savior. Therefore, despite being in chains, he was able to celebrate the Lord's work in his life. In fact, the epistle he wrote from jail to the Philippians was filled with rejoicing (1:18; 2:18; 3:1).

Focusing on Christ is neither a natural reaction nor an easy one. Our instinct is to dwell on the situation at hand, searching for solutions or stewing over the pain and difficulty. As a result, troubles look scary and overwhelm us with a sense of defeat.

However, fear and defeat cannot live long in a heart that trusts the Lord. I'm not saying you'll forget what you're going through, but you can choose to dwell on His provision and care instead. He is the Deliverer (2 Cor. 1:10). He is the Healer (Deut. 32:39). He is the Guide (Prov. 3:6).  The believer who lays claim to divine promises discovers that God pushes back negative emotions. In their place, hope, confidence, and contentment take up residence (Phil. 4:11). You aren't going to be happy about a difficult situation, but you can be satisfied that God is in control and up to something good in the midst of trouble.

The Lord's principles and promises don't change, no matter how severe or painful the situation is. Focus on Christ instead of the circumstances—God will comfort your heart and bring you safely through the trial. Then you can answer Paul's call to "rejoice in the Lord always" (Phil. 4:4).

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 12

The Right Focus for Tough Times

Philippians 1:12-20

Paul did not picture himself as a victim. Despite tremendous physical discomfort and emotional turmoil, he believed he was under God's sovereign hand. So instead of growing resentful and walking away from the faith, the apostle turned to the Lord and continued to mature spiritually.

We can learn much from Paul—He was determined to focus on God's sovereignty rather than his own will. It's easy to be bitter over the mayhem that another person has caused in our lives. However, the minute we start thinking that our enemies are in control, we're defeated. The Bible says that God "has established His throne in the heavens, and His sovereignty rules over all" (Ps. 103:19). He is in absolute control. We may not understand His reasons for permitting hardship or pain in our lives, but His plan is always for our good and His glory (Jer. 29:11).

Moreover, believers can learn from Paul's commitment to focus on positive results rather than on personal agony. Pain, whether in the body or the heart, often absorbs all of a person's attention. But there is no victory to be had in dwelling on our hurts. God has a plan for that anguish, and Paul is a good example. He rejoiced when the gospel spread to the Praetorian Guard—his jailers.

Difficult circumstances are crossroads in the believer's life. If we take the path of blaming God for our strife, we'll be dealing with resentment and negativity. But if we focus on our heavenly Father's love and provision, we will find trust and hope as we seek to go His way.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

Aug. 13, 2011

Soldiers for Christ

2 Timothy 2:1-4

Today's passage is from Paul's letter to Timothy. The apostle encourages the young man—and, by extension, every believer—to face difficulty as a good soldier. The military term "soldier" implies that we are in a battle. And in fact, the combat started before Adam and Eve's lifetime. 

We see the first evidence when almighty God, who had created all the celestial beings, nevertheless allowed Satan and other angels (thereafter known as "demons") to rebel against Him. They established their own kingdom and waged war with the Lord.

Later we see this strife extend to all humankind. In the Garden of Eden, Satan tempted Eve to violate God's command by eating forbidden fruit. Her disobedience corrupted mankind's innocence, and ever since, all human beings have been born with a nature bent away from the Lord—and with a profound need for a Savior.

Tempted by Satan in the wilderness, Jesus modeled how to be victorious in spiritual conflict: by means of Scripture. God's Word gives us everything we need to win—from offensive and defensive weapons (Eph. 6:10-17) to the proper perspective on our adversaries' real identity: "Our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the . . . spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places" (v. 12).

When we see ungodliness in our society, the Enemy may at times seem to be winning. Yet we who are saved have assurance that we belong to Him who is greater—and who will have the final victory (1 John 4:4; John 16:33). View daily battles biblically and look to God, who is mightier than all evil.

For more biblical teaching and resources from Dr. Charles Stanley, please visit www.intouch.org.

Watch Online Videos of Dr. Charles Stanley and In Touch Ministries at LightSource.com
and
Listen to Dr. Charles Stanley Online Broadcasts at OnePlace.com.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 15, 2011

The Conflict

2 Timothy 4:6-8

Spiritual combat is going on all the time. It is important for believers to be aware of this conflict in order to battle sin effectively and live in a manner pleasing to the Lord.

The struggle exists in three areas.  First, we have an internal enemy.  Ever since the fall in the garden of Eden, the human heart does not naturally seek after God. But His Spirit can draw us and move our thoughts toward Him. However, even after salvation, we will have the capacity to do wrong as long as we remain in this carnal body.  Scripture names evidence of the old "flesh" patterns at work within us, such as  immorality, impurity, jealousy, and outbursts of anger (Gal. 5:19-20).

Second, there exists an external enemy: the system of ungodly beliefs, attitudes, and philosophies all around us.  First John 2:15 gives a stern warning:  "If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him." As believers in Jesus, we should be salt and light to the society around us while not allowing its ways to influence our thoughts or behavior.

Third, there's an infernal enemy—namely, Satan. His desire is to dishonor God and to gain victory over the Lord's kingdom. We know from Scripture that this will not happen, but the conflict will continue until the final days mentioned in Revelation.

Be aware of these three enemies. You wouldn't sleep in the midst of a raging war, and neither should you live without awareness in the daily spiritual battle. Today's passage gives the specifics for standing firm in Christ: Arm yourself with God's Word, and seek His protection and wisdom.   

Watch Online Videos of Dr. Charles Stanley and In Touch Ministries at LightSource.com
and
Listen to Dr. Charles Stanley Online Broadcasts at OnePlace.com.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

16, 2011

Developing Patience

Colossians 3:12-14

On any given day, we may encounter frustrating people and situations, such as the slow driver, mischievous child, or uncooperative co-worker. We may feel like lashing out, but God wants us to stay calm and be patient with everyone (1 Thess. 5:14).

Why should we want to develop patience?

• Our calling. Though once alienated from the Lord, we have been made part of His family through Jesus' shed blood. As God's children, we're called to live a life worthy of Him—one that is characterized by humility, gentleness, and patience (Eph. 4:1-3).

• Biblical teaching. Scripture tells us to be tolerant of one another, bearing each other's burdens, and responding with kindness.

• Jesus' example. The Lord demonstrated patience toward Peter's impetuous actions, the crowd's demands, and the leaders' false accusations. We are to cultivate an attitude of composure.

• Healthy relationships. Our impatience can hurt others and close off dialogue. Responding calmly gives room for the other person to confess wrongdoing, explain his attitude, and make changes.

• God's approval. The apostle Paul wrote that we are to be joyful in hope and patient in affliction (Rom. 12:12 niv). When we quietly endure our suffering, we find favor with the Lord (1 Pet. 2:20).

The Holy Spirit is conforming us to Christ's image. As we cooperate with Him, He will develop in us the ability to persevere—without becoming agitated—when waiting or provoked. A calm demeanor in times of delay or adversity can be a powerful witness to the transforming work of God.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 17, 2011

Becoming a Patient Person

Acts 24:1-16

Paul demonstrated the power of patience when he was brought to trial before Festus. Instead of letting his accusers' false claims interfere with his calm demeanor, the apostle patiently went through the legal process while remaining faithful to the Lord. He refrained from attacking the opposition or decrying the injustice of the charges. His peaceful manner found favor with the governor and earned him a hearing for the gospel (Acts 24:24-25).

Because our "flesh" is inclined towards impatience, we need to seek the Lord during difficult situations. Through prayer, we can ask Him to take control over our . . .

Thoughts. It is important that we shift our attention away from the circumstance and onto our heavenly Father. His Spirit will help us gain the right perspective.

Emotions. When the Holy Spirit oversees our feelings and reactions, we will find ourselves becoming calmer. Then He will empower us to respond in a godly manner.

Speech. Asking Him to help us have self-control over our tongue is essential. A timely word can defuse a situation; speaking defensively or shouting angrily at the other person can inflame it (Prov. 15:18).

The Holy Spirit will answer our prayers and provide what we need, just as He did for the apostle Paul.

Patience requires self-control and a desire to please God. Paul had need of both when standing before Festus and King Agrippa. Despite the injustice of those situations, Paul held his ground and was not provoked. Imagine what God will do through you as you grow in the virtue of patience.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 18, 2011

The Priority of Obedience

John 14:23-26

The Creator gave two commands to Adam and Eve—first, to fill the earth and rule over it, and second, not to eat from a certain tree in the Garden (Gen. 1:28; 2:17). Because they chose to disobey, their relationship with God was broken, and they had to leave Eden.

The first couple's rebellion not only impacted their own lives but also had far broader implications: all future generations have suffered. In Romans 5:12-19, the apostle Paul explained the reason. Through the trespass of one man, Adam, sin made its entrance into the world, and death resulted for all mankind. Because Adam was head of the human race, his actions affected everyone born after him. His disobedience resulted in each of us having a bent away from the Lord and a desire for self-rule.

By contrast, Jesus made conformity to the Lord's will the priority of His life. He obeyed God in both word and deed (John 8:28-29). Having lived a perfect life—one entirely without sin—He qualified to be our Savior (2 Cor. 5:21). Through the death of one man, Christ Jesus, payment was made for the transgressions of all mankind. God's acceptance of the Son's sacrifice brought us forgiveness and freedom from sin's power.

Adam's disobedience brought judgment and death upon us, whereas Jesus' obedience resulted in new life for all who believe in Him (Rom. 6:4). Our Savior calls us to deny selfish desires, live sacrificially, and follow Him (Matt. 16:24). A godly life will bring Jesus honor and influence others for Him.

Here I am Lord, use me!

Judy Harder

August 19

A Lifestyle of Obedience

Genesis 6:9-22

A lifestyle of obedience requires commitment and perseverance. Noah needed both as he obeyed the Lord's instructions to build a large boat with a roof, doors, and three decks. God spelled out the exact measurements, the type of wood to use, and the way to make the vessel watertight. It was essential that Noah adhere to every detail if the ark was to house all the animals and stay afloat.

Scripture does not describe reactions to the project, but knowing human nature, we can imagine the disbelief and rejection Noah probably experienced. Yet he worked faithfully to the end and  "did everything just as God commanded him" (v. 22 niv).

The Lord wants us to follow His instructions precisely. Unfortunately, we like to add some of our desires to His plan. We are like a child whose parent assigns three chores. The first is done satisfactorily, the second is put off until another day, and the third is skipped because the girl deems it unnecessary. This is not obedience.

In our case, we know we're called to show compassion and kindness, forgiving others as the Lord forgave us (Col 3:13). However, our human nature wants to pick and choose which parts of Scripture we'll obey. God blesses those who wholeheartedly follow Christ (John 12:26).

Many people in the Bible saw obedience as their goal. Abraham determined to go wherever God led. Moses felt inadequate but still carried out the Lord's plan. Paul did an about-face to become Christ's disciple. Ask the Holy Spirit to empower you to follow the path of righteousness.

Here I am Lord, use me!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk