No To School Vouchers & Gov't Schools....

Started by redcliffsw, June 30, 2011, 05:29:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

srkruzich

Quote from: jarhead on June 30, 2011, 05:31:57 PM
Quote from catwoman:
There might actually be a few out there who do agree with you...But because the herd has turned and pointed their butts at you, the ones who do agree won't have it in them to go against the conventional wisdom of the herd.  In a school situation, we call that bullying and we have programs to teach the kids how NOT to do that to each other.  It's a pity that we don't have the same programs for adults. 

Now there's an assessment I agree 100% with. I think it applies to Ross and Patriot on their quest for answers to the Elk Konnected questions they ask. I think there are people that agree with them but then you got that herd / cow butt thing. Sad aint it ?
Times have sure changed. We were taught to knock bullies on their arse. We were also taught that when dealing with what we called "snooty people" to just ignore them---not that I'm making reference to anyone being a bully or a snooty tutty.

LOL i was one of the ones who used to go take the lunch money back that the bullies stole.  Guess i would be the bullies bully.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Catwoman

:o ;D  It's good to know that there was that variety out there, Steve...But with you, it would figure...You have always sounded like the solid, upstanding type.  I wish that some of my students had a kid like you standing by them...Doing something like that takes an awful lot of guts...Or a healthy disregard for your physical wellbeing...Take your pick! lol

srkruzich

Quote from: Catwoman on June 30, 2011, 08:23:05 PM
 :o ;D  It's good to know that there was that variety out there, Steve...But with you, it would figure...You have always sounded like the solid, upstanding type.  I wish that some of my students had a kid like you standing by them...Doing something like that takes an awful lot of guts...Or a healthy disregard for your physical wellbeing...Take your pick! lol
ROTFL well I was kinda hard headed and being raised by a awesome father, and 2 awesome grandfathers as well as 2 awesome great grandfathers and 1 gg grandfather i learned a lot about Standing up for what was right.  

I had the best role models and examples of honor integrity and ethical behavior any one child could have.  With a lot of Ole fashioned Kentucky hillbilly stubborness, and a bit of city boy to tame me down.  My dad was not a farm boy....

farmgal67357

Quote from: sixdogsmom on June 30, 2011, 07:05:57 PM
So--- is oral history more accurate than recorded history? Or does it change from mouth to mouth?  Elizabeth Brownings poetry is better spoken than read? I don't think so.

Great history question! My hobby is Viking Age/Irish re-enactment. Up until Snorri Sturluson wrote down the Saga's in the 1200's, Viking history was oral. And it did change from Skald to Skald (storytellers/poets) because if you told a better story than the next guy, you were rewarded for it! You stay around the fire in the evenings, listening to stories in the cold, cold winter. If a Skald was around, and you could compensate them in some way-maybe just a meal-you were lucky! And if you were a Skald and was invited into a Jarl's house, or anyone who was well off, you did your darnedest to make them happy! Even better if you could work a family member or two into the story......or you dis their enemies!  :)

Lisa
Lisa

Diane Amberg

farmgal67357

Quote from: Diane Amberg on July 01, 2011, 05:21:21 PM
Very interesting.Thanks

Thank you. I learned some of that at school..... ;D
Lisa
Lisa

Warph

Thomas Sowell is spot on again! (as usual)... we are graduating a bunch of entitlement minded, sub literate, mambi-pambis.  Plus PC is killing our students today.  Why?  Progressive clowns with pointy hats...  (where is Patton when we need him?) ...  But..aha... Sowell just might have the answer.

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

srkruzich

Catwoman

There's only one problem with being a 'tough teacher' who refuses to call her students her "friends"...You don't generally endear yourself to the rest of the teachers (speaking from experience here, unfortunately).  There are those of us, though, who stand up to the pressure and continue to expect only the very best of our students, in spite of the students' protestations.  It is possible to be tough...AND FAIR...And able to inspire your students to reach beyond what they thought was possible!

Diane Amberg

YUP! I totally agree, but I was never crossways with other teachers because of it. We were all very much alike in that regard. BUT...I did see a little of that in the High School teachers.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk