Question

Started by Lookatmeknow!!, June 17, 2011, 07:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diane Amberg

;D  Now why didn't I think of that! ;D ;D ;D

Lookatmeknow!!

Well, if someone is going through my trash, I sure hope they enjoy the smell. Dirty diapers sitting in 100 degree weather, oh, how gross!!! LOL!! There might be some messages in there, too. Dang, better watch what I put in my trash, wouldn't want to let everyone know that I am an Elk Konnected member!!! LOL

I think that the big metal trash can helped, but we got to get a lid for it. They didn't dump it, but they did get into it but not as bad. Thanks everyone!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

flo

Angie, when you get a lid, take one of Jeff's tarp straps and fasten it to each side and over the lid.  If there are no handles, just poke a hold in each side. 
MY GOAL IS TO LIVE FOREVER. SO FAR, SO GOOD !

Diane Amberg

I tried bungee cords first but they chewed through them. Must have been interesting when it snapped. ;D We finally settled on chain and that has worked well.

Wilma

I keep mine in the garage.  hee, hee

flintauqua

Warning - ancillary tangental rant ahead! ;D :angel:

Bungees and tarp straps have been mentioned in this thread.  Twine could be used, but not as easily.  In the past, one would just get a piece of used baling wire.

BUT IT'S VIRTUALLY IMPOSIBLE TO FIND USED BALING WIRE ANYMORE!

Used baling wire used to be everywhere.  There would be bundles in every pick-up bed, tied on fence posts, hanging in trees, and in great big piles next to pasture gates.  The multi-generational pile at Rumpus Ridge was so large it was visible from space on Google Earth.

It was reused and repurposed for everything.  It had more uses than WD-40.  It was the ubiquitous, omnipresent fix anything material.  I've even welded with it!

AND NOW YOU CAN'T HARDLY FIND ANY, UNLESS YOU GO BUY IT!

I came to this realization about a year after I moved here to NW Ark.  A rivet holding the plastic air dam on the front of the car broke.  Easy fix, just get a small piece of baling wire.  For the first time in my life there wasn't a piece of baling wire to be had.  My inlaws didn't have any.  My neighbors didn't have any.  There wasn't any laying around the local feed store, or in the backs of pickups there, or at the livestock auction!  Twine, twine, twine and more twine.

Of all the things around the farm that I knew I would miss having easy access to, I never in a million years would have thought baling wire would be near the top of the list.

Charlie
"Gloom, despair, and agony on me
Deep, dark depression, excessive misery
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all
Gloom, despair, and agony on me"

I thought I was an Ayn Randian until I decided it wasn't in my best self-interest.

Ms Bear

I remember when if the old cars couldn't be fixed with baling wire or bubble gum it was time to trade them in.  I think that was the only time we got bubble gum was on a road trip.

Wilma

Aha, I know where to find used baling wire, but I'm not telling.  I might need more of it myself sometime.

Lookatmeknow!!

Baling wire and duct tape, my husbands best friend!! Since girls rule our house, we have went with buying him colored duct tape like hot pink, or zebra stripes!! LOL
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

W. Gray

One time I drove a 53 Ford 200 miles to Howard with a radiator that had a large hole that the water would spew out.

I could not afford to have it fixed so I stuffed the hole with a rag and removed the radiator cap. I lost a lot of water through the rag, but on the trip only had to put water in it three or four times or so.

At Howard I went into the Ben Franklin dime store and purchased a bar of modeling clay. I worked the clay into the hole and it leaked a little but held until I returned home. Then as I arrived home the pressure forced the clay out.

Finally got the radiator fixed. The car was only six years old and managed only 8 mpg but was the first I had ever owned.

However, it was also the worst car I ever owned. The things I had to have fixed on it reads as long as someone's grocery list. My dad finally took pity on me and traded it in for a new car while giving me his old one.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk