Couldn't resist

Started by Judy Harder, June 15, 2011, 05:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judy Harder

COULDN'T RESIST.....PSALM 109:8.....

Psalm 109:8 My wife and I were in slow-moving traffic the other day and we were stopped behind a car that had an unusual Obama bumper sticker on it.  It read: "Pray for Obama.  Psalm 109:8".

When we got home my wife got out the Bible and opened it up to the scripture.  She started laughing & laughing.  Then she read it to me.  I couldn't believe what it said.  I had a good laugh, too.

Psalm 109:8 ~ "Let his days be few and brief; and let others step forward to replace him."

At last -- I can honestly voice a Biblical prayer for our president! Look it up -- it is word for word!  Let us all bow our heads and pray.

Brothers and Sisters, can I get an AMEN?

8) :angel: ;D

Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

Patriot

AMEN! 

Looks like Rush Limbaugh had a solid moral foundation for hoping Obama failed at his task of 'transforming' America.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Warph

I love humor.  And this is quite funny, Judy.  I believe you are doing a great and loving thing on what you write on the Religious/Spiritual section of this forum.  You are a true Christian in my eyes.  Don't ever change.  So, please do not take offense of what I'm about to say about Psalms 109:8.

It's definitely hard to love our enemies, or poor leaders, and especially leaders who might well have malicious intent. We can't do it on our own. We need God's help.  That is why Psalms 109:8 bothers me when I see it on a bumper sticker on on the internet.  What really bothers me is the next verse: Psalms 109:9.  Trust me...I don't wish the POTUS to die.  My wish of all wishes is that he would follow God's law. 

I used to help teach a Bible class before moving to AZ so I am somewhat familiar with the Bible.  This very verse came up in one of our classes.  Acts 1:16-20 clearly explains why Psalm 109:8 was written.  It's a prophecy regarding Judas the betrayer.  The "office" is that of one of the Twelve, and Matthias was the one who took his office.

Note that I am not an Obama supporter.  I think that most of you on this forum know how I feel about his terrible policies.  I have said some terrible things about the man.  Not very Christian like for me, is it.  But being a Christian Jew I do stand up for correct use of the Bible.  What does the President of the United States have to do with Psalm 109:8?  Apparently, many people are passing this around the internet and I have seen it on bumper stickers, as a prayer of curse against the President.

"Let his days be few, and let another take his office." – Psalm 109:8

By itself, it seems relatively harmless.  But take note of the next verse:
"Let his children be fatherless, and his wife a widow." – Psalm 109:9

Okay... using a single verse like this is dangerous for several reasons.  First, it's taking a single short verse out of a very specific and detailed context, trying to use it in a way it's not intended.  Secondly, it's essentially praying for a person to die... because of the context.  Remember, when what is now the Bible was originally written, it wasn't divided into verses.  This particular passage would have been written in ancient Hebrew which had no punctuation either.  Talking about these as "separate verses" without connection or context is simply inaccurate.  If we could take any single verse and use it as it sits alone, then we could justify just about any behavior we want.  Try Numbers 31:17 all by itself to see what I mean.

In reality, this is probably deemed not a good Christian attitude or thought process. 
Here's an important related bit:
27) But I say to you who hear: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you,
28) bless those who curse you, and pray for those who spitefully use you.
29) To him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer the other also. And from him who takes away your cloak, do not withhold your tunic either.
30) Give to everyone who asks of you. And from him who takes away your goods do not ask them back.
31) And just as you want men to do to you, you also do to them likewise
. – Luke 6:27-31

Jesus clearly teaches two lessons in the short passage above which are directly relevant here: 
1) If you consider the President to be "an enemy", then you should love him.  That might be hard, very hard... especially for me....  but remember this: Love is not just a feeling, it is defined by your actions and behavior even when you don't feel like being loving. 
2)  The Golden Rule.  Jesus gave that to us.  Do you want people to pray for a curse on you?  Nobody of sound mind would answer yes.

Remember that all governments ("Kings 4") are put in place by God. As much as conservatives (like me) dislike many of the policies the President is promoting, we must still obey the laws set forth by our government, our Constitution.... of which he is the current leader. (I can't believe I said that but it is true, it is reality...he's the POTUS).  We obey unless the laws compel us to go against God's law.  Jesus said, "Render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's and unto God that which is God's."

If you want to look to David, remember he wouldn't kill Saul (1 Samuel 24) when he had the chance, even though Saul was out to kill him, because he understood that Saul had been placed in power by God and to kill Saul would be defying God's will.  The apostle Paul in the book of Romans admonished those believers to submit to the government.  And, believe me, theirs was a much more oppressive government than ours.

So, as much as we might not like it, we are called as followers of Christ Jesus to love our friends.... believers and unbelievers alike.... as well as our enemies.  Maybe God put the liberals in power as a wake up call to Christian conservatives to get out of the pews and take a stand for what is right in God's eyes.  Or He may have done it to punish us for falling down on the job by, through our inaction, allowing the Godless lifestyles that we're protesting here permeate our society.

Maybe this declaration is too little, too late. I don't know, but I've heard it said that God has removed His blessings from us (America) because we've become so complacent in our worship of Him.  I hate to think that's true, but it could be.  The answer might lie in our own hands; if we live our lives as the examples He wants us to be... giving Him glory in all things.... who knows where that might lead.

....Warph
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

jarhead

Outstanding post WARPH--outstanding !!

Judy Harder

Warph,
What a message. I thought I was reading a Billy Graham message............you are right.
I only checked to see if it was indeed a verse of the Bible.............
My postings are daily devotions I get on line and the jokes? like this one comes from neighbors or friends.
Thank you for another lesson. God bless.
Oh, feel free to give us a message (not just politics) any time you feel like it.
Today, I want to make a difference.
Here I am Lord, use me!

indygal

If only more people would follow your example, Warph, we would be a much happier, healthier and wealthier nation. When Jesus said "Love one another," I believe he meant everyone, not just those with whom we agree. Thanks for your wise words and might we all use them to learn something about ourselves and each other.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk