wind farm greed

Started by oldfart, June 12, 2011, 02:46:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfart

wind farm has caused greed to hit Howard ,people renting houses for twice what  they did six months ago .One lady kicked out a guy that worked at FLINT OAKS to raise the rent for wind farm people .WISH I HAD 1 TO RENT.

Patriot

Quote from: oldfart on June 12, 2011, 02:46:20 PM
wind farm has caused greed to hit Howard ,people renting houses for twice what  they did six months ago .One lady kicked out a guy that worked at FLINT OAKS to raise the rent for wind farm people .

The greed was likely already there.... just looking for a place to show itself.  

Looks like it found a way.   :(

Yep, that wind farm's gonna be a real boon to Elk County.  Of course, the wind farm isn't the problem... people are.
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

pepelect

Did we just become a nanny state.  We prize a condemned building or shutter at the thought of actually make you haul off a junked car, or board up an open building but you want and advocate rent control?  Do we all then just get in the bread line and wait for the check?  What is next equalized payments for water and gas?  Are you saying you could not find a cheaper place to rent?  Patriot said   there is a nice huge space in Longton.  Are they not willing to commute to Flint Oak via Busby?  There is cheap housing in town.  Rent controlled.  Based on income or ability to pay. 

So when did supply and demand become unfeathered greed?  I thought pure capitalism was getting the highest price the market would bear on a commodity.  The question is not is the rent twice as high but is the unit rented.  You can charge what ever you want if no one buys it you lower you price.  If you can get more and keep it rented you make more money.  If you doubled the rent if only for a year then you could half the rent next year and still come out twice what you would have if you had not capitolized on the rarity of housing around the area. 

The answer is don't rent month to month.  Sign a lease for a longer term which locks in your expenses.

Get a better job.

oldfart

I,m all for people making money off this, but kick a guy out to make more not right ,you know what goes round comes round

Patriot

Quote from: Arc fault on June 13, 2011, 05:54:52 AM
...So when did supply and demand become unfeathered greed?...

If you doubled the rent if only for a year then you could half the rent next year and still come out twice what you would have if you had not capitolized on the rarity of housing around the area. 

I assume you meant to say 'unfettered' and not 'unfeathered'.  Snakes roam loose, and they don't have feathers.
I also assume you meant capitalized and not capotolized.

But ultimately I must assume that you aren't capable of distinguishing the moral difference between fair market value and greedy opportunistic gouging.

The answer is don't rent month to month.  Sign a lease for a longer term which locks in your expenses.

Point taken.  Still doesn't excuse selfishness that puts a resident on the street over the greed of a landlord.  Personally, I hope that the new tenant's rent checks bounce like a red rubber ball..

Get a better job.

Last month, the US added 54000 jobs.... half of those were provided by MacDonalds.  Don't get out of the home much, do ya?

Patriot

Quote from: oldfart on June 13, 2011, 09:08:49 AM
...you know what goes round comes round

Good Lord, I sure hope so... sooner rather than later!

Lookatmeknow!!

Personally my husband and I have a rental house and wouldn't recommend becoming a landlord to anyone around here!! We have had about a half dozen renters in the 6 years we have owned the house. Only 2 were from around here, one went to my church and the other couple trashed our rental, lied to everyone that we stole from them because they left their dogs in the house in the summer time to go out of town for 3 days and in that time I told my husband to either go let the dogs out or call the sheriff. We did the nice thing and let them in the pen, and they did the not so nice thing and told everyone that we stole from them. The other people were not from around here. One couple worked for the company that constructed the highway 99 and the rest were hunters from out of state. I am not saying that people from around here are not good people, it's just we have had better luck with the hunters and the wind farm guys. As for raising the rent, yes we did. Why?? Well, it's fully furnished with stove, fridg, and everything else. So why can't I raise the rent if I am supplying everything, except their food and utilities??? Any other town the house would rent for way over 600.00 a month, but we didn't go that far up just 450.00 a month. Do you know what it takes to keep a rental house going??? I do, and it's not pocket change!!! So, call it greed, no!! I call it making the bills!!
Love everyday like it's your last on earth!!

Ross

Did we just become a nanny state.  We prize a condemned building or shutter at the thought of actually make you haul off a junked car, or board up an open building but you want and advocate rent control?  Do we all then just get in the bread line and wait for the check?  What is next equalized payments for water and gas?  Are you saying you could not find a cheaper place to rent?  Patriot said   there is a nice huge space in Longton.  Are they not willing to commute to Flint Oak via Busby?  There is cheap housing in town.  Rent controlled.  Based on income or ability to pay. 

So when did supply and demand become unfeathered greed?  I thought pure capitalism was getting the highest price the market would bear on a commodity.  The question is not is the rent twice as high but is the unit rented.  You can charge what ever you want if no one buys it you lower you price.  If you can get more and keep it rented you make more money.  If you doubled the rent if only for a year then you could half the rent next year and still come out twice what you would have if you had not capitolized on the rarity of housing around the area. 

Get a better job.
Isn't that what Elk Konnected wants to be --- a nanny to Elk County? Whth their hand out getting free money to them but not to the taxpayers. Because they want to be the nanny and give the orders and isn't that connected to the possible pilot funds? Yes, grred.

Patriot

Quote from: Lookatmeknow!! on June 14, 2011, 08:54:40 AM
Any other town the house would rent for way over 600.00 a month, but we didn't go that far up just 450.00 a month. Do you know what it takes to keep a rental house going??? I do, and it's not pocket change!!! So, call it greed, no!! I call it making the bills!!

F O C U S.....

If you tossed out a month to month renter who was on time paying 500 just to rent for 6 months to a wind farm worker for 750 just to drop back and punt 6 months from now (which is the point of this thread I think), I would call that greed. 

Based on what you are saying, it appears you may need to be more attentive in 1) setting your base rent, 2) qualifying your tenants 3) having & enforcing a well written lease and 4) collecting a solid deposit.  Landlording can be a tough business, maybe it's not for you.

srkruzich

Quote from: Patriot on June 14, 2011, 10:11:23 AM
F O C U S.....

If you tossed out a month to month renter who was on time paying 500 just to rent for 6 months to a wind farm worker for 750 just to drop back and punt 6 months from now (which is the point of this thread I think), I would call that greed.  

Based on what you are saying, it appears you may need to be more attentive in 1) setting your base rent, 2) qualifying your tenants 3) having & enforcing a well written lease and 4) collecting a solid deposit.  Landlording can be a tough business, maybe it's not for you.

Personally i like land contracts.  Damn that renting. Waste of good hard earned money, and in todays economy, The buyer can pretty much name Their price as well as terms in getting a house and land. 
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk