Unusual Photographs

Started by W. Gray, June 11, 2011, 09:57:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

Warph

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

W. Gray

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

W. Gray

Diane Amberg

Is that a dog or something out of Harry Potter?

jarhead

I think it's "cat on a stick" cooking---but it could be dog---either way, my mouth is watering !!

W. Gray

It is my understanding, based on a first hand account from my father, that something similar to this happened one day along the Elk River after he had hoisted me up on his shoulders and took me to the pasture to get the cows.

Warph

Kim Phúc - 1972

I bet a few of us remember this picture.  This Pulitzer Prize photograph was taken by Nick Út on June 8, 1972, and became one of the most haunting images of the Vietnam War.  The tragic event occurred when a South Vietnamese Air Force pilot mistook a group for enemy soldiers and dropped a napalm bomb on Trang Bang.  The image shows nine year old Kim Phúc with her clothes burned off, running amid the chaos.  The bombing killed two of Kim's cousins and two other villagers.  After taking the photograph, Nick Út took Kim and the other injured children to Barsky Hospital, in Saigon.  Her burns were so severe that she almost did not survive.  After a 14-month hospital stay, and 17 surgical procedures, she was able to return home.  When Kim grew up she studied medicine, but was removed from the university and used as a propaganda symbol by the communists.  Kim requested, and was eventually granted permission, to move to Cuba to study pharmacy, where she would meet her future husband.  During a vacation back from Moscow with her husband in 1992, their plane stopped over in Newfoundland, Canada.  As it was re-fuelling they walked off the plane and defected to the Canadian government.  The two now live in Ajax, Ontario, Canada, and have two children.

Interesting Fact:  In 1997, Kim established the Kim Phuc Foundation, in the US, with the aim of providing medical and psychological assistance to child victims of war.  Other foundations were set up later, and called the Kim Phuc Foundation International. Kim also tours the world giving speeches at churches and schools, talking about her story.

--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk