Did You Know.....

Started by Warph, June 10, 2011, 11:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

There's no 13th Zodiac sign, and your Zodiac sign has not changed!

A quote falsely attributed to the Minnesota Planetarium Society suggests that there is a 13th Zodiac sign, "Ophiuchus" that appears between Scorpio and Sagittarius that would result in bumping everyone's Zodiac signs over by a month.

What actually happened is that the Minneapolis Star Tribune a interviewed member of the society's board, who merely pointed out that our Zodiac system is technically wrong.  The Zodiac symbols are all named after constellations that can be seen from earth.  However, over thousands of years, the Earth has shifted on its axis.  This means that the year represented by a particular Zodiac sign is no longer the best time to see the corresponding constellation.  Thus ""When [astrologers] say that the sun is in Pisces, it's really not in Pisces,""

This has actually been the case for a long time, but there's been no push to correct the Zodiac calendar to match up with astronomical reality. This is good news for me, since I never thought of myself as a Libra anyway (...not that I believe in that kind of stuff).  :-\

(source) http://technolog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/01/14/5841166-the-twitter-snowball-effect-the-zodiac-and-npr
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

There is a 5-inch octopus that can kill a human!

The Blue-Ringed Octopus also has some pretty amazing colors. It appears grey or beige when resting, but when it gets agitated it pulsates with bright, flashy colors. This would include the blue rings on its body for which it is named. They stay hidden in shallow, sandy areas on the beaches of Australia during the day, and come out at night.

Blue-ringed octopuses eat shellfish mostly.  They tear off the shells with their sharp beaks and inject them with toxin.  This toxin can paralyze and kill a human being!  Another fun fact: the third arm of a male blue-ringed octopus also doubles as a sex organ, which it uses to transfer sperm into a female octopus.  It's the octopus equivalent of a penis.

Source:
  http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/interactives-extras/animal-guides/animal-guide-blue-ringed-octopus/2177/
--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Warph

The town of Winchester, Virginia changed hands over 70 times during the Civil War.

Winchester's proximity to the northern border of the Confederacy (between Virginia and Maryland) caused it to be captured a great number of times by the opposing forces.  This averages out to once every 3 weeks for the four-year duration of the war! Another reason Winchester was so attractive from a military standpoint was its location relative to the Shenandoah Valley.

Whichever army controlled the valley also was able to control the supply of food, soldiers, and other goods to the South.

Source:
http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/cluster_winchester.html

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

The United States spends more money on AIR CONDITIONING in Iraq and Afghanistan than on the entire budget of NASA!!  $20,200,000,000.  That's more money than BP has paid back for damage caused from the Gulf oil spill.  That's as much cash as the G-8 (eight of the world's most prosperous industrialized democracies) have pledged to support democratic ideals in Egypt and Tunisia over the next two years!  The thought of temperature control costing so much seems ridiculous, and it is.  But when you think about the effort to safely transport fuel to some of the most remote and dangerous places in the world, it's understandable.

For example, to power an AC unit at an isolated Afghan outpost (where temperatures can reach 125ºF!), a gallon of fuel has to be shipped into Karachi, Pakistan and then driven on 800 miles of potentially shoddy roads over the next 18 days!  And that's not to mention the fact that these sorts of motorcades are typically prime targets for insurgent attacks.

Source:   http://www.npr.org/2011/06/25/137414737/among-the-costs-of-war-20b-in-air-conditioning

(Oh, btw... it is 120 degrees out on my patio today...Warph)
--Warph

-- Warph

Diane Amberg

But it's a dry heat. ;D ;D ;D ;D. Is that air conditioning over there for the people or for the computers and electronics?

Warph

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the irrational fear, or phobia, of long or improbable-sounding words.

Although there have been no documented cases involving this particular phobia, experts have identified it as a type of anxiety disorder.  As a result, treatment is readily available for individuals who suffer from the affliction.

While hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia may be less common than other phobias, individuals who suffer from the disorder experience the same sense of panic as those who suffer from acrophobia (fear of heights), arachnophobia (fear of spiders), or any other well-known phobia.  Rather than spiders or heights, however, the hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic experiences an overall feeling of dread or fear whenever he or she comes in contact with a particularly long word.  Despite the realization that they pose no damage to the individual, sufferers may experience symptoms like shortness of breath, rapid heartbeat, and nausea whenever this happens.

Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia literally means the hippopotamus and monster-related fear of very long words.  As a 15-syllable word, the term itself is likely to panic those who suffer from the disorder.  As a result, many experts have challenged its use, arguing that the term mocks its sufferers.  Therefore, the term sesquipedaliophobia, or the fear of many syllables, is often used instead.

Identifying hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is relatively simple, as individuals who suffer from the disorder will experience a persistent and unwarranted fear when they come into contact with long words.  Clammy hands, elevated heartbeat, and dry mouth are some of the most common physical symptoms of the disorder.

One of the most effective ways to relieve any type of phobia, including hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, is to replace the sufferer's negative associations with positive ones.  To accomplish this, treatment may include anti-anxiety medication or therapy.  

Regardless of how it is treated, however, it is important to determine the source of the fear before it can be successfully alleviated.  Unfortunately, experts are unable to explain exactly why individuals suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia, but such fears are most often caused by family members or friends, past experiences, or even biological triggers.

While phobias themselves are relatively common — studies indicate approximately 5% of the world population currently suffers from one or more — since it was first defined in 2008, there have been no known cases involving hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia.  Nevertheless, as a defined phobia, treatment is readily available for individuals who become panicked at the sight of long words.  Individuals who suspect they may suffer from hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia should discuss their symptoms with a physician or therapist to determine the best course of action for them.

--Warph

-- Warph

sodbuster

National Nude Recreation Week is July 4 thru July 10 2011.  :laugh:

National Nude Recreation Week kicks off with a metaphorical bang July 4, and nudists are inviting all of America to doff the duds, slap on the SPF 30 and join them for a skinny dip, a hike au naturel or an outdoor frolic in their birthday suits.

"We'd like everyone to know how much better off we'd all be if everyone knew the physical, spiritual and emotional benefits of nudism," says Dr. Gerry Goodenough, a Corona, Calif., nudist. "The constricting emotional doors all drop away, and pretty soon we're all playing like little kids .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43550084/ns/travel-destination_travel/t/get-naked-american-nudists-celebrate-summer-au-naturel/

Time to head to the beach. Have a Good Day everyone and remember to use sunscreen and apply it often.

David
Breathe deep the gathering gloom,Watch lights fade from every room.Bedsitter people look back and lament,Another day's useless energy spent.Impassioned lovers wrestle as one,Lonely man cries for love and has none.New mother picks up and suckles her son,Senior citizens wish they were young.MoodyBlues

farmgal67357

Quote from: sodbuster on July 05, 2011, 01:41:12 PM
National Nude Recreation Week is July 4 thru July 10 2011.  :laugh:

National Nude Recreation Week kicks off with a metaphorical bang July 4, and nudists are inviting all of America to doff the duds, slap on the SPF 30 and join them for a skinny dip, a hike au naturel or an outdoor frolic in their birthday suits.

"We'd like everyone to know how much better off we'd all be if everyone knew the physical, spiritual and emotional benefits of nudism," says Dr. Gerry Goodenough, a Corona, Calif., nudist. "The constricting emotional doors all drop away, and pretty soon we're all playing like little kids .

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43550084/ns/travel-destination_travel/t/get-naked-american-nudists-celebrate-summer-au-naturel/

Meet everyone at Howard Lake NOT!!! ;D heeheeheeheehee
Lisa-ain't nobody seein' me nekkid.....

Time to head to the beach. Have a Good Day everyone and remember to use sunscreen and apply it often.

David
Lisa

Warph

An 84-year-old man survived 5 days in the Arizona desert by drinking windshield wiper fluid.  Henry Morello of Anthem, AZ took a wrong turn and then accidentally drove into a ditch when he tried to correct his mistake with a U-turn!  Both his cell phone and his car battery died, leaving Morello stranded in the desert.  With no food or water, Morello stayed hydrated by drinking windshield wiper fluid until he was discovered by a group of hikers 5 days later.  A real-life Macgyver, Morello kept himself warm by wrapping himself in car mats, cracked open the wiper fluid with a rock and used napkins to filter the fluid to make it safer to drink, used a shiny chrome piece from the car to signal passersby, and read the car manual to keep himself entertained for 5 days.

Source:  http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2011/feb/15/man-84-survives-5-day-ordeal-in-ariz-desert/

(Lots more to this story than meets the eye ...Warph)
--Warph

-- Warph

indygal

Let me guess. He also ate dates from the calendar and drank from the leaf springs. (sorry...couldn't resist  ;) )

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk