Elk County

Started by W. Gray, June 03, 2011, 06:56:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

W. Gray

I was snookered into making the rounds for some of the Howard city wide garage sale today.

One sale was put on by the Elk Konnected Youth in front of the Elk Konnected exercise area. Most of the merchandise was on the sidewalk but some was in the community exercise area. I went in to look around with some trepidation but was able to go in, look around,  and get out without any seeing any evil demons. I did not see any threatening itty bitty circles either.

Looks like there are only two of the old street lights left standing on Wabash. Several footings and anchors are awaiting new poles. I read in the Prairie Star, though that there were no electrical connections on the new poles in which to plug in Christmas decorations.

David Perkins is building a rather large facility on K-99 that looks to be 200 feet long. This is in the same area where they dug a hole in March and pushed an old house over into it. They then burned the house material and filled with dirt.

"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

W. Gray

Went through the Doll Museum, today.

The people who restored the old building did an outstanding job.

The former business once housed Fleak, Sherlock, & Fleak, furniture store from the early 1900s. For some reason, that name slays me. I can only remember, though, Poor Jess Furniture. The interior has a mezzanine at the rear that was restored, but the lady in charge said the mezzanine once extended along each side of the interior almost to the front doors.

The mezzanine is reminiscent of the old time stores where the business took place on the main floor and the green eyes shades, purchasing, and management activity took place on the mezzanine overlooking the business area. Who knows maybe there were pneumatic tubes being used.

The mezzanine is going to be offered as a rented place for parties.

The entire ceiling is of a decorative tin nature that is the original and is in remarkably good shape.

The museum has two photos of Howard which I have never seen before.  One of them has to be prior to 1900.

There is also a second floor that has been restored and will eventually contain more dolls.

Also, had a nice chat with Julie Perkins and she pointed out the decorative tin roof from Waldo's barber shop and the old flower shop, which are now part of the Family Grocery. At some point, a drop ceiling had been installed and a dividing wall separated the barber shop and the flower shop. That ceiling is also in remarkably good shape.
"If one of the many corrupt...county-seat contests must be taken by way of illustration, the choice of Howard County, Kansas, is ideal." Dr. Everett Dick, The Sod-House Frontier, 1854-1890.
"One of the most expensive county-seat wars in terms of time and money lost..." Dr. Homer E Socolofsky, KSU

patyrn

The building where the Doll Museum is located housed Wisner's Furniture Store (maybe called Elk County Furniture Store?????)  when I was growing up in Howard.  Leslie Wisner was the grandfather of our own Mom70X7.  Later on, Irving Anderson also had a furniture store there.  

Jane

The Elk County Furniture store was also owned and operated by Rex T. Tarwater for years. Then Robert Vinette had it until his death.

Jane

I found out more information. The Wisners worked for Rex and Kathryn Tarwater.

W. Gray

Ate lunch at Poplar Pizza at their Friday buffett. All you can eat, pizza and salad. Great food.

Also ate lunch Saturday at Connies Sweet n Spicy. Food was good with large portions. Will go again.

The tearing down of the old slaughter house on Monroe Street appears to be going slow but steady. Appears to be a cinder block by cinder block rip out of the walls. Many old blocks are stacked on both sides of the building along with a lot of other deconstruction debris.

Spent most of the week end in Winfield attending a family reunion. One day was outside and it was hot. My car showed 103 degrees outside. 102 in Howard. Officially it was around 99, or so. In that heat and the humidity that goes along with it, just walking from the car to the house works up a sweat.

I like Fleak, Sherlock, & Fleak--sounds like a shady law firm. I also remember the Elk County Furniture Store but regardless of who owned it, I do not ever recall going inside.

Jane

Waldo, I know you are always interested in history so I just want to let you know about the Elk County Furniture store because of the people that owned it for all those years.

W. Gray

Yes, I know that and I thank you very much.

The Fleak name just hit me as being hilarious.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk