Help Skunk attack

Started by Roma Jean Turner, May 30, 2011, 08:27:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roma Jean Turner

My Jack Russell jusy got sprayed in the face by a skunk.  Never had this happen.  I know her eyes hurt.  Aything special I need to know about this.  City dog learnin some rural facts of life tonight.

srkruzich

Quote from: Roma Jean Turner on May 30, 2011, 08:27:07 PM
My Jack Russell jusy got sprayed in the face by a skunk.  Never had this happen.  I know her eyes hurt.  Aything special I need to know about this.  City dog learnin some rural facts of life tonight.

ehhh they'll be ok. :)  might not smell the best. Uhm tomato juice works, bathe your puddy in it.
Curb your politician.  We have leash laws you know.

Roma Jean Turner

I don't have any but she is doing better.  I just keep wiping it off woth paper towels. And is smelling better.  Now she's chasing bugs.  HA HA  Thanks

srkruzich

Quote from: Roma Jean Turner on May 30, 2011, 08:44:30 PM
I don't have any but she is doing better.  I just keep wiping it off woth paper towels. And is smelling better.  Now she's chasing bugs.  HA HA  Thanks

Thats good.  Just make sure she's up on her rabies shots if she's coming into contact with skunks.

Jo McDonald

Roma Jean, you might like to call Howard City clerk's office.  Becky Oakleaf was telling me of a "recipe" mixture that will rid a pet of skunk spray.  The number is 374-2202
  She and Dana Denton have both used it -- and it works, she said.  Worth a call.
IT'S NOT WHAT YOU GATHER, BUT WHAT YOU SCATTER....
THAT TELLS WHAT KIND OF LIFE YOU HAVE LIVED!

Roma Jean Turner

Thanks JO.  I think we got off pretty easy on this one but think I had better get the recipe.  I don't know how long a memory Jack Russell's have. 

Wilma

Rma, how is the little one this morning?

srkruzich

Quote from: Roma Jean Turner on May 31, 2011, 04:10:32 AM
Thanks JO.  I think we got off pretty easy on this one but think I had better get the recipe.  I don't know how long a memory Jack Russell's have. 

About as long as the next time she sees a skunk.  I have two, and they will go after anything that looks like a rat or a cat.

Jane

If you take 1 cup of vinegar and 3 cups of water and give her a bath, it will change the color of her hair a little but it will get rid of the order. Been there, done that.

proudparent

I have used this recipe before and it worked very well. I got it from my vet. I know they now have a special pet shampoo specially formulated for skunk odors, but I have never used it.

SKUNK SOAP

1 Qt. 3% Hydrogen Peroxide (Be sure to use fresh peroxide. After being open for an extended period of time it tend to turn   back into regular water)
1/4 c. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Liquid Dish Soap

Mix all ingredients. Apply liberally to infected area, being careful to avoid eyes. Work into the dogs coat for approximately 10 minutes. Rinse well. Repeat if necessary. Since peroxide can be harsh to the dogs skin, it is recommended that you bathe your dog again with a shampoo recommended for dogs.

Hope this works! When something like this occurs, they always want extra attention form their owners.  ;D :angel: I never had time to make a trip to the vet for the "special" shampoo, and found this concoction to work great in a pinch!! Most people have these items on hand. 
No one can make you feel inferior without your consent. -- E.Roosevelt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk