Arizona 1 - Illegals 0

Started by Warph, May 26, 2011, 10:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Warph

WASHINGTON -- The Supreme Court has sustained Arizona's law that penalizes businesses for hiring workers who are in the United States illegally, rejecting arguments that states have no role in immigration matters.

By a 5-3 vote, the court said Thursday that federal immigration law gives states the authority to impose sanctions on employers who hire unauthorized workers.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011/05/26/high-court-upholds-arizona-law-penalizing-employers-illegal-immigrant-workers/#ixzz1NTg2EYZF
"Every once in a while I just have a compelling need to shoot my mouth off." 
--Warph

"If you don't have a sense of humor, you probably don't have any sense at all."
-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Patriot

Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Warph

I see a lot of people here applauding the ruling and the SC following the Constitution.  I do as well but time for some perspective.  And those are people saying the solution to the problem is simply fine them and/or imprison those who hire an illegal.  Uhhhhhhh, folks check Article 1 Section 8.  The federal government only has a few duties that it can legally engage in.  Almost every activity that the federal government is now engaged is illegal.  And of those legal duties almost are all minor except for the real one of protecting the borders.  So now we want to make every legal citizen in the country an immigration cop (or risk a fine and/or imprisonment) for the failure of the federal government to do the only activity of consequence that it can legally engage in?  Put the blame where it really should be folks.!!  If the federal government was doing its job we would not even be having this discussion.  Ying/Yang.

--Warph

-- Warph

"A gun is like a parachute.  If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again."

Patriot

Point well made and well taken.  But if the fed are failing miserably, and they are, a state making and enforcing rules for business within their own borders that have the effect of supporting the required fed role is a good thing, no?
Conservative to the Core!
Gun control means never having to fire twice.
Social engineering, left OR right usually ends in a train wreck.

Warph

Quote from: Patriot on May 26, 2011, 11:46:59 AM
Point well made and well taken.  But if the fed are failing miserably, and they are, a state making and enforcing rules for business within their own borders that have the effect of supporting the required fed role is a good thing, no?

No 'but" about it.  The Feds are not doing there job in following their law.  This "hiring case" turned on whether state law tramples on federal authority.  According to Chief Justice John Roberts:
"Arizona has taken the route least likely to cause tension with federal law, it relies solely on the federal government's own determination of who is an unauthorized alien, and it requires Arizona employers to use the federal government's own system for checking employee status."

So in answer to your question... yes.  The outcome of this SC approval is that it could serve as a judicial warm-up for a separate high-profile challenge to a more controversial Arizona immigration reform law working its way through lower courts.  That statute would, among other things, give local police a greater role in arresting suspected illegal immigrants.  If that happens, goodbye illigals.  Other States will be watching this very, very carefully.

--Warph

-- Warph

Warph

Far-left headlines are already starting on this.... LOL.... What's funny is that it is the Fed's law:

"Left explodes with rage ... communist organizers ready attacks on any business that dares comply with Arizona law."

"US Supreme Court says U.S. must follow the law
Minorities, women and undocumented Democrats hardest hit"

--Warph

-- Warph

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk