recording old 45's

Started by readyaimduck, June 05, 2011, 08:50:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

readyaimduck

I just found some 45's that I used to listen to:  Floyd Cramer-"On The Rebound"; Kingston Trio - "M.T.A & "Scarlet Ribbons".
Will try to go back and find the old LP's of Limelighters & Sons of the Pioneers.
They don't make good music anymore, So I am going to record to CD. 

Great stuff, brings back a lot of memories!
ready

larryJ

Ready, it's great to have those old records.  I have a few cabinets full of LP's (used to work in record store), but I don't listen to them much anymore.  I had a very expensive and high quality stereo system complete with a top of the line turntable (almost on a professional level).  The we had the room remodeled and parts were misplaced and some were just broken.  Then along came then retro looking music system with a cassette player, a CD player and Lo and Behold a turntable for LP's!  I ran right out and bought one.  I still don't listen to the albums much--------------------but I can!  I noticed recently that same company has now upgraded the system to record CDs, but I don't think Ms. Larryj is going for it.  And she would be justified, because I don't listen to them much anymore.  However, when my kids were little, we used to play some march music and march around the coffee table and Ms. Larryj recently suggested I find those albums so our granddaughter can march around (well, something, there is no coffee table anymore.)

Interestingly enough, while typing this, I am also watching a story of TV about Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass, well, Herb Alpert.  Really good show.  I love his music. 

If I read your post correctly, you were going to transfer from the records to a CD?  Over the years, records tend to decline in quality from age and usage.  They don't sound as good as the new music CDs these days, but if you record those old records onto a CD, you will only get the quality of the record as it is now.  In another word, the scratches and bumps and bruises will record right along with the music.  This is akin to transferring old home movies to a DVD.  They still look the same.

Anyway, thanks for the post.  I think I will put on some music and turn off the TV.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

readyaimduck

Larryj:
I also have Herb Alpert and Ferente & Teischer (sp).
I have a turntable that is USB capable, the  program I use will take out most scratches.  Bumps not, unless I get serious about editing. 

Perhaps I may do one this afternoon, and then post it!  Since is not UTube, I think I am safe. :-\

larryJ

Flashback:  After Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss started up A&M Records, one of the groups on the label was the Baja Marimba Band, playing similar music to the style of Herb Alpert.  Back then I used to think it was the Tijuana Brass under another name, but not so.  Their big hook though, besides the music, was the album covers.  In almost all the BMB record covers, there was a picture of the band and always, one of them had his back to you and hands in position to indicate that he was relieving himself.  We couldn't wait for the next album release just to see the album cover.

Larryj
HELP!  I'm talking and I can't shut up!

I came...  I saw...  I had NO idea what was going on...

readyaimduck

wow!   perhaps you need to start a thread on music triiva

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk